Stays on Wall

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
My immature male G. pulchripes spends the vast majority of his time up on one of the walls of his enclosure, as opposed to on the substrate. He hasn't even touched the new, bigger hide I made him. I try to keep the enclosure as dry as possible with the exception of his water dish. Do you guys think I should add more ventilation holes, or is this normal behaviour anyone else has experienced?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Have you had him long? I guess I am asking if this is a change from past behavior or the only behavior you've had since you got him.
If he was hooked out, then I would think he was looking a mate, but you said immature.
Mine is still a sling (2+") and if mine is on the wall, he is asking for food (and will eat whatever is tossed in -- not picky this one). lol
Otherwise, mine is burrowed.

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
No, this is a change from his past behaviour. It's become especially prominent a behaviour since I rehoused him into a larger container from the one I had him in since I got him.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
How long ago was the re-house?
Are we talking 2 months on a wall or 2 days?
So far, available hide and dry substrate sounds good, I assume he has a safe water dish available.
Does he look healthy? Normal size abdomen and all? No falls from wall, etc.
Is he taking food, due for a molt/just molted, etc.?
Without a pix of setup, I have no idea if he needs more ventilation or not but not familiar with ventilation being an issue with G pulchripes (assuming normal ventilated enclosure).

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Like Ellen said, if the rehouse is recent (I mean within a month, month and a half, as some take a while to settle), he might just need to settle in. Temperature also plays a role in climbing. Too hot, too cold, too breezy etc. If ventilation is the same as before, I wouldnt attribute it to that. Sometimes spiders just climb. my LP and even my c darlingi (burrower) walk around randomly. Unless you're watching them 24/7, you can't exactly say if it's been sticking to the wall for days, hours or centuries lol. Try a few experimental adjustments if you think it's necessary. Otherwise, I think he's just being a tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
It's become especially prominent a behaviour since I rehoused him into a larger container from the one I had him in since I got him.
Its normal....allow it time to acclimate to its new home...could take a while, just relax.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
Agreed with others. It doesn't sound too abnormal. I rehoused my B. albopilosum around a month ago and s/he's still "exploring". The other day I caught her climbing the walls which I hadn't seen her do since I got her in the new enclosure. Now s/he usually can be found either in her hide, or just outside of it just chillin' like a villain.

Sana

Arachnoprince
My G. pulchripes goes through phases of the same behavior. I don't worry about it too much.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Speaking of g pulchripes, mine just molted. It's a girl! And back to spiders being spiders, I have one digging and running around and another freshly molted running around. I mean that literally. One of my p irminia is practicing for the Olympics. Spiders are strange animals tbh. They do things we don't always understand. They know how to adapt and will make every attempt to do so. I gave up worrying about certain behaviors.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
He's actually been in his new enclosure since October 29th of 2014.
Maybe your T doesn't like the sub. Generally speaking when I house any of my T's particularly for "Arid" ones, I pack slightly damp sub, dry enough that it doesn't clump when I squeeze it, but still has a little moisture in it. I just give plenty of air flow. Always works. G. Pulchripes can endure arid scenarios but don't natively live in such. Their locational humidity doesn't go below the 60s, and goes as high as in the high 70s I believe.

And what is the size? If its a MM than that's a totally different story. And has it molted since the new home was given

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had my G . pulchripes do this after a rehouse , for me it was due to using just coco sub and someone here put up a thread about the same thing awhile back about some Ts not liking coco substrate and to add some other substrate with it like peat soil , top soil or red clay sand . I did this and the climbing stopped and he seems happier .

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Could be the sub. I house all my Ts with coco though. No climbing problems. You could try packing it down a little, playing with the humidity, temps, etc.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Ive had my pulchripes for over 2 years in the same enclosure and he (not mature) still likes to climb.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine spent a good month up on the glass, then it became a burrower...molted and hasn't burrowed since. Now the only time it spends extended time on the glass is during pre-molt...dunno why, but its always on the glass during pre-molt...it just entered that period and what do you know...its on the glass.

I really don't think its anything you need to be concerned about a bit.:)

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Yes he's on coco husk. He's about 6 cm DLS. Yes he's moulted since he's been in the new enclosure. Substrate is the same as it was in the old enclosure.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Climbing is different than constantly being on the side of the enclosure
Indeed! I pictured the little guy just hanging on side 24/7 for months on end. Now I see he has molted in new enclosure, I am going to guess he did NOT molt on the wall. lol

I feel better about the wall situation now anyway.