New shipping idea.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
So I was cutting out styrofoam and I made a huge mess. I like to try and make things easier without sacrificing efficiency.. So how could I eliminate styrofoam with still having insulation?

I used to do a lot of construction and I was working on an old barn filling in cracks with this foam called great stuff. Maybe good stuff.. It was a while ago.

My idea is to line the boxes meant for shipping with this foam and letting it air out for a few days so fumes wouldn't hurt the t.

So what does everyone think?

Drache

Arachnosquire
Great stuff (right stuff?) is supposed to cure to where it stops off-gassing. You can shape it some before it sets, and carve it up after. Seems like a pretty good idea. It comes in more than one version - there's the great stuff for little cracks, and the great stuff for large gaps - probably has something to do with how much puff one gets per spray. I know people use it to do habitat landscaping.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
It's not just the mess that concerns me shipping can be brutal and moving the foam could ruin your entire shipping order. It would be quicker and more stable. I think I will be testing this out soon. I just like the fact that where I put it... It will stay, unless cut away. I think great stuff is only 3$ a can. Where foam around me is 7.99 for a foot by 3 foot.... Seriously expensive.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
Wow, that is expensive. I am lucky enough to work at a Veterinary hospital. We get packages almost every day in styrofoam coolers in boxes. So, I just use those for shipping. They come in a box that fits them exactly.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
If you can afford it, bounty paper towels, IMO, make a superior packing material. I have learned that if you pack it densely enough, it eliminates the need for styrofoam altogether. They have the added benefit of expanding during transit, further securing the specimens. Lots of air pockets keep them nice and insulated. many people attack me, curiously, despite it being the same exact principal as using styrofoam.. :/

No DOAs, everything always arrives happy and healthy. Of course, i cant take all the credit, as I deal in native species, virtually all of which enter diapause when cold.

However, I'm sure I could ship tropical species as well. (that is, if I ever decide to breed some)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd be leery of using great stuff, as the spiders are trapped in there with no fresh air. Even a trace amount of fumes could be lethal.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use great stuff to do backgrounds in some of my vivariums. I just apply it to the back, let it expand and once cured I carve it however I want and attach pieces of wood. Then I apply black food grade silicone over the surface as quickly as I can to which I cover with coconut coir either fine or chunky.

Never occurred to me to use it in a shipping box. I suppose it would be fine if you let it air out long enough.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Humm so it seems that fumes is the biggest worry. I'll keep ya posted on. When I test this out. If someone beats me to the punch please share with us. Thanks all!

RobynTRR

Arachnosquire
If you are making your own shipping boxes, I would suggest using foam core insulation from Home Depot. It is a dense foam with high insulation value. Comes in varying thicknesses.

When shipping snakes and lizards, I would use the 1.5". If you want something thinner, I think they make a 1/2 or 3/4 inch as well.

For cutting, a razor knife and a straight edge do a nice job and keep it very clean. A razor knife, like the ones that extend ways and you can break off as they get dull. It doesn't crumble like the standard shipping styro that is essentially many 1/8" and 1/4" bubbles compressed together. Trying to cut that stuff really is a mess.

We are in the process of getting invert shipping approved at ShipYourReptiles, at which point we will be offering invert specific shipping supplies and guidelines as well.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Hmm. Didn't I draw you fighting a T-rex in an "award winning" picture I entered in a contest? ;)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i thought of this once.. but if its what i think it is, its a little rigid for foam.. i mean if your using this and then paper towels sure [tho id let them sit out a week with not wanting to risk a T] but smoke hound has a greatt point as well.. i actually recieve da few herps this way befor, as well as a single T... by far the oddest way.. one guy addmited "hey man i had a coupons which made it $0.12 a role when i bought 10 and well...im overrun with my stupidity..but she made it tho didnt she? :D" by far one of the better materials it seems, and im not joking.. iv even had a guy put packing peanuts in a food prosesor.. that was my oddest shipping material by far. but favorite was some good ol paper towels :)

eminart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think this would be unbelievably messy and difficult to control. Great Stuff keeps expanding for quite a while after you spray it. And, it's nearly impossible to get off your skin once it dries. It seems like quite a hassle to me.