Breeding M. balfouri

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I've finally paired my mature M. balfouri. The first two pairings my male left the females enclosure but tonight the male got to the female and lifted her up but I wasn't able to see if he got an insertion or not. It looked as if he did but my hopes aren't up yet. To those of you who have successfully bred this species, how did you go about breeding? Did you individually pair them up on certain occasions or did you let them live together for a period of time such as a week or two? I'm thinking about letting them together for a week and seeing how that goes. Any input from some more experienced breeders?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Got to love a live in breakfast! I mean-- boyfriend!

I've no idea, but I couldn't resist the joke.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have not yet successfully bred this species. I did recently leave a male in with my 3 females for 8 days. He was wearing himself out, and I saw no evidence of additional sperm webs, so I separated him so he could get a bite to eat and regroup. Now that he's downed a couple of crickets and reloaded, I'm going to put him back for another week.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have not yet successfully bred this species. I did recently leave a male in with my 3 females for 8 days. He was wearing himself out, and I saw no evidence of additional sperm webs, so I separated him so he could get a bite to eat and regroup. Now that he's downed a couple of crickets and reloaded, I'm going to put him back for another week.

Do you have your 3 females communal? I want to leave him in with mine but there's only one hide which is hers lol I may add another hide incase he feels the need to hide alone

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just leave them together. From past breeding experiences with these, the mating takes ages, so you would definately notice it. One of my past breedings, I actually stopped watching after an hour of inserts. The female shouldn't kill the male in normal circumstances.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
Yup, I just left the male in with the female for a few days at a time and they did just fine. I did this several times over the course of a month and my female is sitting on a sack right now. The female was extremely gentle with the male.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I will be leaving him in with her then. I'm glad it's worked out for you guys!

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So last night my male was literally doing laps around the edges of his enclosure so I figured he may be looking for the female. I introduced them and she came out with a threat pose which she has never done. He went straight for her and lifted her up and made insertions for about 10 minutes. He would have his palps down at her vents and every 5-10 seconds he would move them from left to right, then right to left. I feel very good about this breeding. I may not even leave them together for a week like I was going to if they pair up this well again a few more times. Hopefully I can get pics up soon.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you have your 3 females communal? I want to leave him in with mine but there's only one hide which is hers lol I may add another hide incase he feels the need to hide alone
Yes, the females are communal. He did pair with one of the females almost immediately upon introduction. Like Cerato said, it went on for awhile.