super worms

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my T's love super worms, but i went to feed one to my T today and it borrowed under the soil, would this cause a problem?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yes - the problem happens when the beetles emerge several weeks later. I normally throw a few superworms in there - and if I see beetles wandering around I'll remove them. I personally don't worry too much about having the worms in there during a molt - and I've never had issues....but I could just be lucky to date too....

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can the beatle cause harm to the T, yes super worms are the same as meal worms, just super worms are alot bigger

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zorack said:
can the beatle cause harm to the T, yes super worms are the same as meal worms, just super worms are alot bigger
thanks for the info

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zorack said:
yes super worms are the same as meal worms, just super worms are alot bigger
No they are not the same thing. Mealworms are Tenebrio molitor species and are smaller brownish larvae. Superworms are Zophobas species and are larger whitish larvae. I have seen superworms 2 inches long and 1/4 inch across. Just trying to help.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
David Burns said:
No they are not the same thing. Mealworms are Tenebrio molitor species and are smaller brownish larvae. Superworms are Zophobas species and are larger whitish larvae. I have seen superworms 2 inches long and 1/4 inch across. Just trying to help.
thanks for the comparson.

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do you people always have to go through the scientific names for every tom dick and harry, there both worms and they both wiggle

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Zorack said:
do you people always have to go through the scientific names for every tom dick and harry
Yes! :)

When I feed I pinch the heads on the superworms. I breed my own so I have way more than I need anyway. They still wiggle and twitch long enough to entice a hungry T.

ddale

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Superworms also have a sharp point on the ends of their bodies which may prove no problem for a T, but for some herps who don't "chew" as well as they should - this can be potentially harmful.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
A rogue superworm bit off my male B.smithi ankle and foot off from one leg. I feel luck that it bite him somewhere it would have killed him. But I know they can kill your pet, since I had a tiny 1/2" mealworm kill the 1" A.versicolor that eat it. Little Ts body bitten somewhere near the little ultra important pedicil :confused: I found in 2 pieces and he went down fighting as well as fangs were out ans spread wide :( :(

a superworn is big enough to the eact same thing to many adult T if they grab the tail end. They do fight for thier lives

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Zorack said:
do you people always have to go through the scientific names for every tom dick and harry, there both worms and they both wiggle
Actually there beetle larvae too ;P iv never trusted the things with lizards let alone spiders, but Mendi that's the first death from one iv heard of :(

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't find superworms very convenient as feeders. All my T's are new world terrestrials. The beetle larvae often have enough time (a few seconds) to burrow down into the substrate. From then on they just annoy the Ts. Nothing seems willing to eat the adult beetle either. I should imagine that superworms work best when dropped onto an arboreal's web or fed to fast, OW terrestrials.

Some people offer the larvae to the tarantula in a shallow dish. I've tried this with no success.

My mantids just love superworms though, and there is no substrate for them to hide in.

I would add that superworms and mealworms are very different beasts. It's like comparing a sausage and a steak.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My G. rosea is full grown and she loves the beetles that the meal worms grow into. She hunts them down. So she probably would love superworm beetles as well. She loves the superworms and beetles as much as crickets.

Sharon

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
luther said:
I would add that superworms and mealworms are very different beasts. It's like comparing a sausage and a steak.
Nope there said to taste a bit nutty, Eric could probaly tell us for sure :D

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I also tried the shallow dish, T's showed no interest. But then there's waxworms...all the kids love them, & if they burrow they'll emerge a couple wks later as a tiny moth, which sometimes gets eaten.

Zorack

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my T's love super worms, especially my OBT and A genic, its like giving them a nice piece of cake :D