P. regalis rescue. Advice needed..

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Someone I (vaguely) know has a P. regalis that they've had for several years but they keep it in a terrestrial set up and don't take care of it anymore. I tried telling him to rehouse it but he's scared of getting bit by it. Now they're looking to get rid of it and I'm the only one they know they can give it to. I have a few fast tarantulas but this would be the only adult OW. My current tarantulas are:

adult G. rosea
juvie B. smithi
juvie N. chromatus
juvie P. cambridgei
juvie H. lividum

So obviously this is a little out of my league but I want to help the spider and I don't want this guy to get bit trying to rehouse it. I'm kind of confused about what to do so any opinions about whether or not I should take it and if I do advice on how to take care of it properly. I figure at the very least if it doesn't work out for me I could take it and try to give it to someone on here.

Basically I want to know what the lesser of two evils is in this case. 1. The tarantula staying in the care of someone who won't take care of it or risk him giving it to someone who may not understand how fast/defensive they are. 2. Taking a tarantula that is still a bit out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for any advice and opinions.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Will he let you take it in current enclosure?
I am thinking rescue first, and then find someone on board near you to either permanently rehome or assist you if you feel comfortable enough to keep it.

Sana

Arachnoprince
It would be hard for me to walk away from the situation personally. I can't stand the thought of leaving a creature in a position that is detrimental to it. I think that in your situation however the best possible solution would be to attempt to find a keeper who is comfortable and experienced with Poecs. Based on your current collection and your feeling that this tarantula is outside of your immediate comfort zone, I would suggest that you don't try to keep it yourself. I hope that you're able to help get that tarantula into a better situation. Best of luck!

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Will he let you take it in current enclosure?
I am thinking rescue first, and then find someone on board near you to either permanently rehome or assist you if you feel comfortable enough to keep it.
Yeah I think he's willing to give away the tank because there's no way he can take it out to bring it to me lol. Yeah hopefully I can find someone near me. I just need to make sure he's actually giving it to me. I'll find out tomorrow.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rescue it , then decide . Their not that bad they will usually retreat before anything else I say give it a go . They are awesome Ts

brezo

Arachnosquire
Go and rescue it! Be careful, play it smart and safe(especially while rehousing), and nothing can happen. I have a mini tube attached to a bottle to fill the water bowls with. I dont need to open the cage. Anyway just dont try to stroll it around your house on a leash, for that matter a g. rosea is better :D

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
If you're not comfortable rehousing a poec, don't rescue it and find someone that is. It'll probably Take 3 seconds lol. If you are, take it! Regalis are nice spiders. They really aren't bad though. Ornata and striata are probably the only ones that MIGHT give you problems. Avics are pretty much the only arboreal (in my experience at lwast) that will hang out at the top of the enclosure. An ideal terrestrial set up isn't ideal for a poec but you don't need something as elaborate as an avic setup ( some may rip me for this but I've seen other people's arboreals, including my own, very happy in an enclosure with 14 to 16 inches of height). My adult female irminia and fasciata as well as my psalmo and pokie slings pretty much live in the ground. I use gallon jars, critter keepers (I decrease top ventilation) and taller sterilite containers. You can use the soda bottle method or catch cup very easily for rehousing fast and defensive spiders. I do fine with a catch cup and a lot use the bottle method happily and stress free. The soda bottle has worked smoothly for a plogius rehouse, can't get better than that! Lol. Hope this neglected spider finds a good home!

horanjp

Arachnosquire
+1 to blue....why some people are so scared of rehousing cool spiders I will never understand. Expensive spider rehomes? Then I sweat. Believe in yourself!

cold blood

Staff member
Id Love To Take It Ill Throw You A PM Now.
LOL, you're in the UK, he's in long Island...good luck.

Not to mention if he's not ready to re-house, packing for shipping is probably off the table.

There's plenty of people in the op's area to take it I'm quite sure.:)

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah! Tell the person who's already admitted a lack of confidence to do it *then* worry about the consequences!

Jesus.
this, totally this. Pokies arent all that bad, even when i had a couple Stomatapelma I had my moments of "oh *&^&" but even then they just mostly ran and only occasionally try to get all defensive. If anything i would just say pokies are just very skittish, and thats that. just when and if you rehouse her do it in your bathtub with some 10" tongs and a catch cup. you will be all set and find out its pretty painless.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm shocked at the number of folks that would advise going ahead with a tarantula that someone doesn't feel confident about caring for. That seems like an invitation for disaster for the keeper, the tarantula, and the hobby. Sounds pretty irresponsible from where I'm sitting.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
I'm shocked at the number of folks that would advise going ahead with a tarantula that someone doesn't feel confident about caring for. That seems like an invitation for disaster for the keeper, the tarantula, and the hobby. Sounds pretty irresponsible from where I'm sitting.
I think alot are following the theme of the lesser of the two evils. Neglect or nerves. Agreed no one should take on something they cannot handle. But also lack of confidance can be from lack of knowledge. I'd say the OP should message one of the pokie veterans on here and go over what would be needed.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think alot are following the theme of the lesser of the two evils. Neglect or nerves. Agreed no one should take on something they cannot handle. But also lack of confidance can be from lack of knowledge. I'd say the OP should message one of the pokie veterans on here and go over what would be needed.
I can see the lesser of two evils viewpoint, but there is a third option that the OP was already considering. I'm not sure if the third option of finding an experienced keeper nearby was overlooked by many. I suppose that's possible. In reading the thread however, I got the impression that many were encouraging a situation that could end badly over an option that seemed like the better plan for all involved.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Everyone overreacts about Pokies. With a little common sense and responsibility, he can take care of it. I think many people are overlooking the H. lividum in his collection? Lividums are notorious for showing their nice set of fangs much more often than Pokies.

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
Everyone overreacts about Pokies. With a little common sense and responsibility, he can take care of it. I think many people are overlooking the H. lividum in his collection? Lividums are notorious for showing their nice set of fangs much more often than Pokies.
+1

Even a juvie lividum would be more on the defensive side than a regalis, they mostly just run. Especially if they have a secure hide. In all honesty, I think that you would probably be fine. You are not a total beginner by anyones standards, and you seem to be very level headed. Take all the necessary precautions - tongs at all times, rehouses in suitable locations, not letting others mess with the spider etc and you will be fine. Giving her a very snug hide, such as a cork bark tube, will help a lot with dealing with her. If she feels super secure there then there is a higher chance of her fleeing rather than standing ground (which they do not do often anyway). Long story short? Pokies are not nearly as bad as their reputation suggests, their venom is nasty but it is on a similiar level to the lividum which you own anyway. I think you would deal with it fine. No one can know for certain of course, but that applies to everyone getting their first adult OW. And this way the spider will be with someone who will care about its wellbeing.