speed

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Most would agree this order, first being the fastest. Tapenauchenius, Psalmopoeus, and any Poecilotheria. Obviously there are many other speedsters out there, but the consensus seems to fair these as the top dogs.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Don't forget about those crazy Australian species! There was a thread a while back where it was stated that s crassipes (I think it's now phlogius) were waaaaaaaay faster than taps. But other than that I agree with DV. Heterscodra are pretty dern fast too.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Don't forget about those crazy Australian species! There was a thread a while back where it was stated that s crassipes (I think it's now phlogius) were waaaaaaaay faster than taps. But other than that I agree with DV. Heterscodra are pretty dern fast too.
Agreed, my H mac is a speedy little thing too. I'm gonna have to look up some vids on the phlogius now! lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I guess there's a point where fast is so fast it wouldn't matter in micro/milliseconds -- human reflexes are definitely going to be slower.
When they move so fast your eye can't follow -- wow.
Wonder if anyone on youtube has done a speed test.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
How do you measure? They usually don't go in a straight line. Some arboreals are high speed, and so are some OW terrestrials (particularly Asians). With hundreds of species in the hobby, who's going to somehow clock them on a closed course?

There is no answer, nor does it matter which species is incrementally faster than another. Either you're able to work with and control your spiders or you're not. That's where speed matters.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
How do you measure? They usually don't go in a straight line. Some arboreals are high speed, and so are some OW terrestrials (particularly Asians). With hundreds of species in the hobby, who's going to somehow clock them on a closed course?

There is no answer, nor does it matter which species is incrementally faster than another. Either you're able to work with and control your spiders or you're not. That's where speed matters.
You set up races and take bets of course. My p irminia has always wanted to be a star.

ParryOtter

Arachnopeon
You set up races and take bets of course. My p irminia has always wanted to be a star.
My sister and I used to race daddy longlegs/opiliones when we were kids. We'd go hunt for the perfect specimen, draw a chalk racetrack and gently keep them in line with our "crops" (sticks). Poor things. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in KY.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
My sister and I used to race daddy longlegs/opiliones when we were kids. We'd go hunt for the perfect specimen, draw a chalk racetrack and gently keep them in line with our "crops" (sticks). Poor things. I guess that's what happens when you grow up in KY.
Oh god. I hated spiders at that age, so kudos to you. I was obsessed with tadpoles and grasshoppers though. I'd never actually race tarantulas. An infinite amount of things could go wrong Lol.

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
I've always been curious about the speed of my Phlogius... But I have always deemed it safer to just let her be the happy little pet hole she is. :) when I rehouse her next, I will let you know

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I've always been curious about the speed of my Phlogius... But I have always deemed it safer to just let her be the happy little pet hole she is. :) when I rehouse her next, I will let you know
I have heard some folks say that the Phlogius species look like an arboreal species and yet are burrowers. Since most of the "fastest" species are arboreals, maybe there is something in the physical build of a species that contribute to extreme speed....? Or maybe the most scared spider is the fastest, regardless of species....? Hmmmm, can't be cause I am sure an Hmac could outrun a Brachy, scared or not. My Hmac male is really intense when disturbed....he seems to panic and run here or there before deciding on the best route. My Psalmos seem much more deliberate. They go straight for their preferred hide with little frantic back and forth type motion.

Jebbles

Arachnosquire
H Incei

I had 3 once, first day I was down to 2. I didn't even see it run, it was so quick.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The taps, psalmos and pokies are suppose to be the big dogs when it comes to speed but the aussie spiders are starting to get more prevalent so some better accounts on their speed will trickle in, seeing as they are already taking the cake on venom potency, speed might be on the table as more species are being discovered and kept from there. Though most spiders will move much faster than human reflexes ever will so really all spiders to me are "fast". Though I did race spiders in one of my college classes and we clocked our fishing spiders to be able to cover 3 feet in 3-5 seconds, that is pretty fast for such a little animal (we tested multiple terrains too). The male rose hairs were slower but could walk around our track for 40-60 minutes before getting tired, which is remarkable for an animal whose "blood" is passively oxygenated.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also include P.murinus, H.maculata, and S.calcaetum on the list. These all can easily keep up with a Pokie.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would also include P.murinus, H.maculata, and S.calcaetum on the list. These all can easily keep up with a Pokie.

So can Taps, but it's doesn't really matter if one species is a microsecond faster than another. There's a lot of species, arboreal and terrestrial, that can move faster than we can react. The goal is to use our superior human intellect to ensure that we don't get come out on the losing end. How likely is a species to run? is it high strung to begin with? Does it give a warning before it runs? Does it suddenly explode? Does it tend to run in a predictable direction, or could it run anywhere? Does it jump too when it runs? If one species just runs, and another runs and bites, which is harder to deal with? An OBT may not be quite as fast a Tap, but catching a running OBT is going to be different than catching a Tap. These are the things that matter. So many are close in speed that we'll never know which is a microsecond faster than another one, and who cares anyways? Too many variables. Pointless to debate.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No one is trying to make this a debate. There are just certain threads on this site that are written for fun sake. This being one of those threads. I'd have to go with Aussie as well, although, some of my Avicularia species I keep seem to just teleport out of their own container at times when feeding time comes, same with Holothele incei or "gold".

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So can Taps, but it's doesn't really matter if one species is a microsecond faster than another. There's a lot of species, arboreal and terrestrial, that can move faster than we can react. The goal is to use our superior human intellect to ensure that we don't get come out on the losing end. How likely is a species to run? is it high strung to begin with? Does it give a warning before it runs? Does it suddenly explode? Does it tend to run in a predictable direction, or could it run anywhere? Does it jump too when it runs? If one species just runs, and another runs and bites, which is harder to deal with? An OBT may not be quite as fast a Tap, but catching a running OBT is going to be different than catching a Tap. These are the things that matter. So many are close in speed that we'll never know which is a microsecond faster than another one, and who cares anyways? Too many variables. Pointless to debate.
I'm not debating anything. Not everything's needs to be a debate. We're not debating here, we're having a discussion. If you don't like the topic, you always have the option of not posting in the thread.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm not debating anything. Not everything's needs to be a debate. We're not debating here, we're having a discussion. If you don't like the topic, you always have the option of not posting in the thread.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Since we can't measure the speed of the top contenders, I'm not seeing this going anywhere.

---------- Post added 02-25-2015 at 08:15 PM ----------

I'd have to go with Aussie as well, although, some of my Avicularia species I keep seem to just teleport out of their own container at times when feeding time comes
I've got 6 species of Australians and while fast, I don't really see them in the upper tier.