Blue Tarantula

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
I'm in the market for a Blue T! I do t have any nor have I even seen one live, but besides P Metallica Which blue T has the most natural color without being under a white light?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well what's your experience level with tarantulas so far? Have you kept any Old World species yet? P.metallica, H.lividum, and L.violaceopes (females at least) are all very beautiful blue tarantulas. If you're still a novice, I'd recommend sticking with a Green Bottle Blue. In my opinion, unlike H.lividum, the blue on the GBB stands out more under normal lighting.

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
I'm actually a novice! I've kept tarantulas since I was 8 years old but those were just Texas Tans, they're all over the streets over here in the summers. I may not have kept them but have done a lot of studying and research. Of course seeing them in a picture is a lot different then seeing them live. I was just wondering which one has more of a natural blue instead of under a light or camera flash!!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We recommend people work their way up in stages with species, which helps reduce bites and escapes (especially if there's other people or cats and dogs living with you). I'd like to think you'll rule out anything old world, as they're at the opposite end of the spectrum from the Aphonopelma you're used to. It may not end well.

Choosing species by color isn't the best idea (there's other important considerations), but if you're intent on it, Chromatopelma is probably the best for you.

cold blood

Staff member
If you can find Thrixopelma cyaneolum, it would fit the bill perfectly for a novice. Beautiful blue they are and very tolerant, good eaters, too.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
Choosing species by color isn't the best idea (there's other important considerations), but if you're intent on it, Chromatopelma is probably the best for you.
Like Poec said, choosing solely by color isn't the best idea. There are plenty of amazing looking beginner species that aren't blue, but just as beautiful. But if your heart is set on a "blue" tarantula, then Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (commonly named, Green Bottle Blue) is the way to go. As young spiderlings they look like this and grow into something like this.

If this is your first tarantula, I would go with getting an older, larger one as they tend to be a bit easier to take care of than a spiderling. Just make sure you do your research on proper care and ask questions. These guys are pretty easy to care for and are pretty good eaters. They tend to be a bit skittish compared to some other beginner species like Brachypelma, but in my experience with mine, when I first got it it would hide at any little disturbance (for instance when I had to change its water dish), now it barely moves at all unless I accidentally knock the enclosure too much.

---------- Post added 02-25-2015 at 09:48 PM ----------

If you can find Thrixopelma cyaneolum, it would fit the bill perfectly for a novice. Beautiful blue they are and very tolerant, good eaters, too.
For the love of Gilgamesh! Every time I'm on here and someone mentions a species I've never heard of and I Google it, I have to add another to my list.

C'est la vie when keeping T's

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Absolutely, it simply isn't as easy as "I want to start with a blue T" because most blue Ts are not suitable for beginners. But when you have the experience I'd like to suggest a few I've come across and admire. Pseudhapalopus sp. blue. I've no personal experience, but they're on my list. NW, slow growing, skittish but not aggressive if my research is correct. Not sure if they burrow or not though. P. sazimai are burrowers which means despite their blue coloration-- you won't get to enjoy it much. Oligoxystre diamantinensis are a beautifully colored dwarf T.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's ironic in a way, because blue tarantulas tend to attract the most attention from novices, yet most tend to be unsuitable for beginners.

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
I failed to mention I currently have 15Ts ranging from H. Maculata, P. Irminia, to B smithi, maylasian blue beauty( can't remember scientific name) but its a sling so it's just brown and a few others!!! I by no means am saying that I am an expert, but It can't be that difficult if u don't handle, don't put ur hands where they're not suppose to be, make sure anytime u open the Enclosure u do it in an area like a bath tub or big plastic tub, just in case it escapes the enclosure and don't leave the enclosure open. Other than re homing or breeding I think I can handle it! Anyways that's what the forums for !!!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I failed to mention I currently have 15Ts ranging from H. Maculata, P. Irminia, to B smithi, maylasian blue beauty( can't remember scientific name) but its a sling so it's just brown and a few others!!! I by no means am saying that I am an expert, but It can't be that difficult if u don't handle, don't put ur hands where they're not suppose to be, make sure anytime u open the Enclosure u do it in an area like a bath tub or big plastic tub, just in case it escapes the enclosure and don't leave the enclosure open. Other than re homing or breeding I think I can handle it! Anyways that's what the forums for !!!
I'm confused. This completely contradicts your first post.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It's ironic in a way, because blue tarantulas tend to attract the most attention from novices, yet most tend to be unsuitable for beginners.
It's true. I can't blame them though. The blue ones are usually amazingly striking. I've had my eyes on an M. balfouri since I started. I know their blue looks more black in person, but it isn't just the slight-blue legs. That cream color is gorgeous to me. The key is having patience. Which I've noticed a lot of newbies lack.

Either it's 'I want a blue T' or 'I want an OBT'.

---------- Post added 02-25-2015 at 10:11 PM ----------

I'm confused. This completely contradicts your first post.
Yes. It does. Backpedaling perhaps...?

Edit: Perhaps not, previous posts from OP mention having varied Ts. Though odd not to mention that in the first place...

Last edited:

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
I don't have a Blue colored T, I've seen them on pics but not live, I didnt say I didnt have any Ts! I was just asking because I have heard that the pics when used with a flash or under bright white light brings out the blue, !!! If u read my initial post it clearly states i am looking to buy a a blue T, and that I don't have one nor have I actually seen one live, and yes I do believe myself to be a beginner still!!!

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm actually a novice! I've kept tarantulas since I was 8 years old but those were just Texas Tans
This is what brought the confusion on, but now with the new information I think I get what you were trying to say. Back THEN you kept texas tans. But now you keep more than Texas Tans.

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
Yes ! Sorry for the confusion but yes I collected the local Texas tans since I was little but I do have different Ts now, sorry for the confusion, but I'm just wanting some input on some blue colored Ts, of course I'm on a budget I'm sure everyone wants M. Balfouris and P. Metallicas !!!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes ! Sorry for the confusion but yes I collected the local Texas tans since I was little but I do have different Ts now, sorry for the confusion, but I'm just wanting some input on some blue colored Ts, of course I'm on a budget I'm sure everyone wants M. Balfouris and P. Metallicas !!!
That's a problem then. No blue tarantula that I can think of is cheap, even as slings.

Mystery33

Arachnopeon
Correct! But once in a blue moon someone is selling one for a good price! The question is are u willing to pay $100 or more for a 2in P Metallica or $100 for a 4-5in L. Vioalocepes or H. Lividum

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Chromatopelma cyaneopubesence, avicularia metallica, poecilotheria metallica, lampropelma violaceopes, haplopelma lividium, chilobrachys sp. Blue, monocentropus balfouri, pterinopelma sazimai.. and there is more.. but these are quite expensive Ts soooooo...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Gbb is the bluest most visible species for the budget conservative...
P.sazimai and O.diamantinensis are far better looking IMO but are alot more expensive...

Gbb is a great T though, it gets my vote considering you don't want to spend a ton of money...

---------- Post added 02-25-2015 at 11:30 PM ----------

Correct! But once in a blue moon someone is selling one for a good price! The question is are u willing to pay $100 or more for a 2in P Metallica or $100 for a 4-5in L. Vioalocepes or H. Lividum
Yuup! Except for the lividum...