Lighting

Psingletongolf

Arachnopeon
Do you provide you ts with any lighting beyond natural room light? if so how and when? I live in a basement so there is not much natural light and the bedroom light sucks, which makes it very hard for me to be able to get a good look at the ts.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I light mine when I'm taking pictures. Other than that they have natural light. I use a red flashlight when I just want to peek in and watch them. I've definitely noticed that others were right and the red light doesn't disturb them. Very helpful if you want to watch them do spider things.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine are kept dark 90% of the time...t's require no light source...I use a small flashlight to observe. The darkness increases activity and decreases the desire to remain buried in a hide constantly.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I don't think mine would appreciate any extra lighting, in fact, I have sort of blocked them so the main room light won't bug them.

Any special lighting is for the keeper, not the T.

RYAN500

Arachnopeon
Heres how I keep a couple of my larger Versicolor. They make their funnels in the hollow cork tubes and are virtually hidden from the light. The lighting is mostlty for the plants though. I dont think such bright light is necessary for the animals but I think there is something to be said for a 12 hour day/night cycle.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
^Main major personal issue w/ vivariums....don't much like the idea of putting my spiders in a UV box with just a few places to hide. I say as long as your room has a natural light source, and your spiders aren't in direct path of said source, then they will get all the light cues they require and you need not modify at all. Love the way vivariums look, just wish it made more sense to me for captive spiders. IMO, of course.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Generally ours get simple day light cycles, no extra light apart from a torch to check on them from time to time.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have been playing with the idea of blue L E Ds or moonlight blue fluorescent lights for night viewing in my T room for some time now..
The only light my ts get now are from the window in the room or the single dim over head bulb.. Minimal light is the way to go IMO but I do feel that a natural day/night cycle is important.

los3r

Arachnosquire
I've got an led light meant for planted aquariums on my obt tank but only cause there's live plants in there and the plant's in my h. lividum get enough lighting from the led light over the fish tank next to it. None of my other spiders have any lighting. Ambient is enough.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I stopped using lighting. Most lights are too bright and can actually blind your T's.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Source? Proof of this statement?
I read this in the tarantula keepers guide. Revised edition page 158. It mentions it multiple times in the book.

---------- Post added 02-27-2015 at 09:10 AM ----------

And I quote " the one kind of light that we strongly urge enthusiasts to avoid is ultraviolet, uv or black light. Using such illuminations on a tarantulas cage for any reason is surely a rude thing to do and may blind them. Do not damn your pet to such lifelong abuse."

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I read this in the tarantula keepers guide. Revised edition page 158. It mentions it multiple times in the book.

---------- Post added 02-27-2015 at 09:10 AM ----------

And I quote " the one kind of light that we strongly urge enthusiasts to avoid is ultraviolet, uv or black light. Using such illuminations on a tarantulas cage for any reason is surely a rude thing to do and may blind them. Do not damn your pet to such lifelong abuse."
It says UV light or a black light, not "most" lights. Try again.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Pretty much in answer to the op. No special lighting is needed for a tarantula, they do not require it for metabolism to survive. You may use lights to be able to see them or if your set ups are for display. Stay away from strong specialty lights as they can cause to much heat or harmful emmitance. Example: uv bulb running 8hrs a day over a terrestrial that has not been given an adequate hide or a way to find complete shade.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
and where is your proof? I need not try again. My statement said hat I wanted it to.
Where's my proof that it said that? In the exact same quote of the exact same book you quoted. Come on now, you're being completely ridiculous.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
It's not ridiculous, those are the lights they strongly urge against! Keyword strongly. I'm not going to continue on this but maybe you should watch the way you talk before you put your foot in your mouth. The "try again" remake was uncalled for and if your reading from the same book you would see that.

Anyway op that's my option on lights I don't use them, if you do try dim lights.

14 pokies I love the moonlight idea!! Now all you need is a few candles and you can get a lobster dinner for them! Lmao jkjk

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's not ridiculous, those are the lights they strongly urge against! Keyword strongly. I'm not going to continue on this but maybe you should watch the way you talk before you put your foot in your mouth. The "try again" remake was uncalled for and if your reading from the same book you would see that.

Anyway op that's my option on lights I don't use them, if you do try dim lights.
I'll talk however I please. I didn't put my foot in my mouth at all, you did. No one is has been discussing using blacklights or UV lights, which is what was referenced by your quote from Stan's book. I agree with him that you shouldn't keep Ts under blacklights. You said:
Most lights are too bright and can actually blind your T's.
..that's false, and had nothing to do with a UV or blacklight specifically either. The OP didn't ask about using such lights either. It is possible to keep tarantulas in a planted/lighted vivarium environment without issue. I've done so, as have many other members here. Its about kelvins and lumens though, and has nothing to do with UV at all. The European branch of the hobby, in particular, has been keeping Ts in natural-style enclosures for many years. Stan, on this side of the pond, has been been an advocate of keeping most tarantulas in dry sterile enclosures...and he also supports other questionable things like handling. His book is a decent resource for beginners, but its not the ultimate word on tarantula husbandry either. There are other equally valid approaches, as presented by Sam Marshall, Micheal Jacobi, and many others.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
You annoy me vespers. And yes people were speaking of uv lights before I. I don't understand why you act the way you do. My information is not wrong. There's plenty senerios where most light could blind a t. I don't care to explain to people with simple minded thoughts. Think what you will vespers and good job on your accomplishments. I'm sure you know everything about everything. :)