Funny story with roaches

louise f

Arachnoangel
Here is a little story i thought i would share.

A couple a weeks ago my little brother was on visit, and i should might say that he is 29 years old and don't like my tarantulas and other bugs :biggrin: ( Boring little brother )

Well i wanted to show him something in my room where i keep my roaches, then he looked up on one of the shelf i keep the cages with my dubias on.

And he just freaked totally out like a maniac, he said to me: What !!!! don't you got lids on their cages, and he went on - can they fly, then he came with a womans sound,
and said that they were disgusting, hahahaha i couldn't stop laughing at him.

I said to him if they would fly anywhere i would have put a lid on them a long time ago :biggrin:

( i have heard that they can fly if they like but not much, but mine never did though )

I just think that it was quite fun: he is a guy for christ sake. it should be me freaking out and be affraid of spiders and bugs, not him. what is wrong here. :giggle:
this wold is crazy sometimes.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I've seen a dubia male fly only once, and it was a 'bout two meters constantly descenting. More like a "wing assisted jump" than actual flying.

And yes, it's always hilarious when grown men scream like little girls when they see bugs. We had once a 100+kg, tattooed biker jump and scream when he saw a 3" Euathlus at the shop.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I've seen a dubia male fly only once, and it was a 'bout two meters constantly descenting. More like a "wing assisted jump" than actual flying.

And yes, it's always hilarious when grown men scream like little girls when they see bugs. We had once a 100+kg, tattooed biker jump and scream when he saw a 3" Euathlus at the shop.
Haha. yes it is so funny. why do they do that i don't understand. :)

los3r

Arachnosquire
One of my dad's friends is renting our guest room and he is absolutely terrified by the fact that I keep tarantulas. Asked him if he wanted to check them out and he almost ran away saying, "Nonononononono!"

louise f

Arachnoangel
It is such a shame that so many people are terrified of spiders. They are fascinating creatures.
i always say to people with that behavior, it is because they don't know how it is like to have tarantulas.
they don't got a clue about them. And i think that's what frightens them, the unknowing.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It is such a shame that so many people are terrified of spiders. They are fascinating creatures.
i always say to people with that behavior, it is because they don't know how it is like to have tarantulas.
they don't got a clue about them. And i think that's what frightens them, the unknowing.
It is entirely a formative years training thing. Adult goes freak out over creepy crawly and that's your response for life unless you diligently practice untraining. Around here it's markedly different. Speaking about hilltribe people). Since there are no deadly spiders here, see a spider and try a barehanded catch. Virtually all hilltribe people automatically do that. Every time we get a spider visitor my wife leaps, very deftly catches it bespeaking of much practice, examines it and either lets it go outside or puts it on her head where it gets tangled in her hair and can't move.
However, they have the freak out reaction here with anything worm. Many caterpillars are very toxic and numerous hilltribe kids end up in hospitals every year from them. So my spider grabbing wife will physically accost me to place my body between her and a caterpillar crawling on a wall. As a child she died from brushing up against caterpillars and spent 10 days in a coma.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I think you left the word "almost" from there or you're married to a zombie.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think you left the word "almost" from there or you're married to a zombie.
PLEASE don't forget to write on your calendar 'TAKE A CPR (refresher) COURSE'. People recover from clinical death all the time which is when a persons heartbeat or respirations have ceased. Biological death occurs 4 to 6 minutes later. In my wife's case she was in respiratory arrest and a just in time scenario got her on a respirator.
Again, please, CPR. Learn it, love it. Be capable of performing it. If you do have to the odds are it will be on a close friend or loved one.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
PLEASE don't forget to write on your calendar 'TAKE A CPR (refresher) COURSE'. People recover from clinical death all the time which is when a persons heartbeat or respirations have ceased. Biological death occurs 4 to 6 minutes later. In my wife's case she was in respiratory arrest and a just in time scenario got her on a respirator.
Again, please, CPR. Learn it, love it. Be capable of performing it. If you do have to the odds are it will be on a close friend or loved one.
Ah..yes.. that thing..
We muggles always forgot the difference...

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
Thats exactly what I think.
I was always fascinated with spiders (especially jumping spiders) when I was little kid so I never was scared of them.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i agree 100% befor i had rats and snakes i HATED mice.. now im a big guy.. im 6'1 or so 350lb.. but i would jump up on the closest chair or table, as if that would save me. and scream.. then i got feeder rats for snakes and realized.. well they are sweet little animals..
then iv always [well did] had a discust for roaches, thanks to the discovery chanel and animal planet, and then i got some lobster feeders and i was like "dude its like a giant cricket that doesnt jump [crix didnt bother me] mountain 2, conquored..
well i had a fear of spiders.. same as the mice.. if i seen a little daddy long leg id thow a shoe, scream and probably run away... i found tarantulas and was like "its so pretty... id die if i was given one tho..." slowly talked myself into getting one, and what ones id get.. my first T i got [others doa] was aavic. i had been smacked with amazement.. a little silk machine, who relies 100% on me, unlike my snakes... so cute eats mini dubias and mealies.. bam mountain 3 demolished.. i needed more then the 3 i ordered... i need them all!

some people are hardwired "stay away" "dont get near" "itl kill you i heard it happened to a friends cousins buddys daughters dogs friends neighbor" i myself was a victim.. befor i had my own snakes i helped with a local breeders large constictors.. we fed frozen rabbits.. so i never seen a rat, but i had kissed many constrictors in the face and even kisses a single cobra[well ofcourse im from the us, we are tought to stay away from the local snakes, not the cool ones on tv people had to import lmao].. but if i seen a mouse.. i was screaming like a little girl XD.. and now? gah i cant believe i had a life without these little buggers..

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Oh, I can't handle the daddy long legs (harvestman) at all!
And I make home visits in my line of work, and those things cannot resist gathering on a screen door in autumn.
I can't even knock on the door -- I'm sorta calling loudly "hello...." until the client's cna hears me.

And then I have to apologise that the daddy long legs are making me afraid to cross the thresh-hold.
I've seen cna's just grab one by the leg and toss it or just brush them aside with their hands.
Which means you've just stirred them up and I KNOW I have to pass that way again when I leave!

(shudder/shiver)
I think it's how skinny the legs are or something.
Creeps me OUT!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I aint too big into true spiders i feel like id kill them or loose them.. but i do find them interesting..theres a jumper (s. Audax i think) and a harvestman who frequent my room.. i toss them mealworms or roaches every now n then x3 audax mainly eats roaches its cute

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I certainly don't want one (harvestman) as a pet. Not sure how to get over this fear. They seem nothing like other spiders to me. Those long skinny legs (shudder) yet I've always heard they are completely harmless.

It occurred to me, I don't think I saw a single one this past fall.
Not sure if that means their numbers are diminishing or if people are just spraying more (or both, I suppose).

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I certainly don't want one (harvestman) as a pet. Not sure how to get over this fear. They seem nothing like other spiders to me. Those long skinny legs (shudder) yet I've always heard they are completely harmless.

It occurred to me, I don't think I saw a single one this past fall.
Not sure if that means their numbers are diminishing or if people are just spraying more (or both, I suppose).
Not only are they completely harmless, but they are also very unique arachnids. Their chelicerae are like those of scorpions (pincer/ scissor-like), they have no venom glands, and are among some of the only arachnids that can consume solid food instead of liquefying it via digestive enzymes prior to consumption.

Also, some harvestmen are really cool looking :D

Pseudo-araña_nocturna_(opilion)[1].jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Also, some harvestmen are really cool looking :D
That one doesn't look so scary. It's the other kind that creep me out.

A_daddy_long_leg_aka_harvestman_spider_on_a_leaf.jpg

I hope I did this correct so no copyright violation is occurring -- I only looked for free images. (Sorry for pix massive size)

Image title: A daddy long leg aka harvestman spider on a leaf
Image from Public domain images website, http://www.public-domain-image.com/...-leg-aka-harvestman-spider-on-a-leaf.jpg.html )

This file (a-daddy-long-leg-aka-harvestman-spider-on-a-leaf.jpg) is in public domain, not copyrighted, no
rights reserved, free for any use. You can use this picture: A daddy long leg aka harvestman spider on a leaf for any use including commercial purposes without the prior written permission and without fee or obligation.

Last edited:

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Haha, I could kinda see where you're coming from in that sense. While I was never afraid of animals with those kinds of appearances, I did have a similar fear towards characters from internet creepypastas (I wonder if anyone on here will know what I'm referring to lol).

I'm actually curious, though. Do cave crickets and scutigerids (house centipedes) also freak you out?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Haha, I could kinda see where you're coming from in that sense.
It's those long skinny legs!!!!
Do cave crickets and scutigerids (house centipedes) also freak you out?
Not at all. I have at least a thousand crix right now, 1/2 of which are 6 weeks or younger.
We had oodles of camel crix in my last home, looked like wolf-spider/crix hybrids - criders.

Centipedes: During the cold snap here, I found a 2+"-ish grey centipede in my bathroom (and I never get them in the house, ever). But it wasn't the "wider" fuzzy longer-legged "house" kind, just a normal outdoor kind you would find outside lifting a rock.
Anyway, he appeared dehydrated so I put him in damp substrate and he plumped up nicely. He burrowed so I didn't get to see him.
I only released him outside this week, now the temps are up, I figured he might survive fine outside. It was good to see him again.
He is alive and well, in my former herb garden (now just a mint & rosemary garden).