How do you house your H. arizonensis?

Browncoat

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

My not-yet-fully-grown desert hairy (Hadrurus arizonensis), whom I've had for several months now, won't moult. She'll get fat and stop eating, but then eventually slim down and start eating again. I'm thinking my set-up might not be conducive to this species moulting. The way I have her set up is in a plastic storage box, with lots of air holes, about 5 cm of coco husk, a hide, a fake plant, and a water bowl. I'm thinking maybe she needs deep clay/sand bedding, or maybe supplemental heating, even though I didn't think she needed that initially (i.e. back when I got her). Those of you out there who've been successful in getting your H. arizonensis to moult, what has your set-up been like? Size, substrate, temperature, etc.?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is a thread somewhere that details how someone managed to get successful Hadrurus arizonensis molts.

What I can tell you is they require substrate (sand + clay mixture) that will support their burrowing. They are obligate burrowers.

What are her day/night temps?

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I keep my hadrurus in 70/30 sand/excavator clay about 6 inches deep and have had successful molts. I think raising the temp and humidity tends to help them to molt easier but that's just my observations of my own specimens I'm sure others have used other methods and theirs worked for them and other people have tried same methods and failed
They tend to be a little harder to raise up than most desert species but they're worth the work
Hope this helps ya and hope all turns out well :) I love my hairys