Endless food compacter...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If anyone needs an example of the bottomless pit that is Lasiodora Parahybana's stomach, I have one for you. This spider has a carapace length of about 1/2", and it's opisthosoma is nearly three carapaces long. The image isn't a play on perspective either, the photo is top down. This thing has never refused a meal, and frankly at this point, since he has no risk of falling (the walls of the container are his leg span high) I want to see how fat he can get before he refuses one.

As you can see, he just won't stop eating. The thing even has a dubia in it's mouth for the photo!

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
While it is entertaining to see them eat and eat and eat, I caution you not to make a habit of over feeding. AB members have reported losing Ts who have burst their abdomens and bled out. Being really fat also makes them more prone to rupture from falls.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While it is entertaining to see them eat and eat and eat, I caution you not to make a habit of over feeding. AB members have reported losing Ts who have burst their abdomens and bled out. Being really fat also makes them more prone to rupture from falls.
Don't worry, I understand. I normally do not overfeed my spiders, but as I want this one to grow as fast as possible and he has no possible way of falling, decided to see how big I could get him.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
When my aggressive eaters get fat, I start to offer them smaller meals.
+1 to this. My GBB is the same way as the OP's LP - she's never refused a meal. I'm pretty firmly convinced she would eat until she burst if given the opportunity.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I thought massive abdomens was just part of the cycle

Eat Eat Eat Eat Fat eat Fat eat Fat Molt

cold blood

Staff member
I thought massive abdomens was just part of the cycle

Eat Eat Eat Eat Fat eat Fat eat Fat Molt
This is true...for slings it matters a lot less, however, once they get larger, it can become a hazard though, and the positive returns are diminished. You cannot overfeed a sling, but you certainly can when it comes to adults or even juvies.

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
My 1.5" genic is the same. I had to go from feeding it every 4 days to every 6 days. I gave it half a pre-killed adult black cricket last week and it was eating for over 24 hours until eventualy all that was left of a half inch cricket piece was a tiny dried up black spec. I honestly think it would eat a full size dead adult cricket in one sitting if I offered it.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Don't worry, I understand. I normally do not overfeed my spiders, but as I want this one to grow as fast as possible and he has no possible way of falling, decided to see how big I could get him.
does this mean you have a lasi-adorible 'baloon'?? LOL

iv thought of this but id hate myself if a T burst his abd =\ tho 4 or 5 of my T's will do the same.. infact my P. sp. purple used to be the go to disposal. but now its my genic.. mainly cuz i think my sp. purples a male :( and dont want him maturing out before i want him to [no female but i never see a female for sale either]

Last edited:

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Might want to get it to lay off the meals.
But it is definitely possible to reduce maturity time.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This T looks grotesque. You're putting it at risk for burst abdomen because you want it to grow faster? I've got no problem with power-feeding, but this is overdoing it in my opinion. It looks like a marble attached to a kiwi fruit.

You're 100% sure that it can't fall? No one can be 100% sure of much in this hobby, sorry to say.

It's not worth it. LPs are fast growing already. You're being impatient.

Squidies

Arachnopeon
+1 to this. My GBB is the same way as the OP's LP - she's never refused a meal. I'm pretty firmly convinced she would eat until she burst if given the opportunity.
Same here with my cyaneobubescens as well. The last time she molted for me (also the first time in my care) I didn't even know a molt was coming because I'd just fed her a few days prior! My other T at the time at least had the decency to refuse meals for a week or two, so I knew it was coming. I think s/he's about due for another and her coloration on her legs is starting to dull, so we'll see when the next time I find a nice surprise will be.

---------- Post added 03-01-2015 at 09:21 PM ----------

This thing has never refused a meal, and frankly at this point, since he has no risk of falling (the walls of the container are his leg span high) I want to see how fat he can get before he refuses one.

As you can see, he just won't stop eating. The thing even has a dubia in it's mouth for the photo!
It won't stop eating, unless perhaps it's about to molt. They will literally eat themselves to death if you keep feeding it this way. And for what? Because you want to see how fat it'll get? This sounds like a really stupid thing to do to something that you're supposed to be caring for. "no risk of falling"? In the picture shown, it looks like there's plenty of room for a fall. It may be a short fall, but with you fattening it up, even the slightest fall could rupture something. Please lay off with the feeding for the sake of feeding. If you're going to power feed it, turn up the temperature and do it responsibly.

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
My GBB was like that when he was a sling but after his last molt he stopped being an aggressive eater.