EMERGENCY!!! B. vagans premolt

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
My B. Vagans has been in premolt for about a week. It is an inch and a half specimen. But since yesterday night, it has just been lying there. Not in the death curl and last night I saw it jiggling but still hasn't molted yet.
Is it dead? And is it natural for Ts to not move a day or a few hours before molting?

Thanks

---------- Post added 02-27-2015 at 08:00 AM ----------

And in premolt is it possible that a T stops moving for above 8 hours?
Thanks

MrDave

Arachnosquire
More knowledgable people will be along before too much longer, but I'm thinking you have little to worry about so far. My similarly sized L. parahybana molted last night and followed a very similar pattern to what you describe there. Very sluggish and not moving for a few days before flipping on its back. I'm gonna have to move it to a bigger enclosure because it just about exploded in size.

I just wanted to fire off a bit of assurance. The pros will probably have specific tips regarding water and humidity, maybe.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
No not yet. Just hasn't been moving for eight hours

---------- Post added 02-27-2015 at 08:16 AM ----------

and Its leg are a bit curled in. Definetly in premolt

louise f

Arachnoangel
then i dont think you should worry to much. you can use a syringe to pour a little water on the soil in one of the corners. it can help with the molting go faster.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
It's completely normal for your t not to move a lot, as it's saving as much energy as poss for it's energy consuming molt. But I still have questions.
Did you just redue substrate?
Did b vagans spin a web mat? (Sometimes they won't)
Is b vagans eating?
Does the cage have an open water source?
When was b vagans last molt?
And lastly
Are there any conditions or issues (physically) your tarantula is dealing with?

Most of the time we as keepers over do it and want to fix everything possible, but there's only so much we can do. Sometimes tarantulas die for no reason. I hope this is not the case.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Lethargy is one of the more noticeable "symptoms" of premolt. Tarantulas don't move all that much to begin with and definitely a lot less during premolt. Do you have a pic? You said there was no death curl but then said the legs are a little curled. I'm confused.:? In a sling you should still be able to notice a color change. By that point, a molt is only a matter of time. Between hours and a few days.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
So what you are saying is that it is basically in a semi- death curl and in pre molt? How do you know its not just dying and happens to be in pre molt at the same time? Does it have water available at all times and has it been eating? If so then it is just molting.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Bad news guys

My B.vagans died in mid molt. It's abdomen was stuck in the old exoskeleton.
R.I.P. Cutter

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Yeah.
Not moving at all and the legs and abdomen are all stuck in.
Just a little weak before molt.
But thanks tho

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Thanks
Hey, is anyone going to the expo on march 1st? maybe we can meet up or something?
I may go. No firm plans at all and I can't say what time I'll be there. If I do go, I'll be the mid-50s guy, bald + goatee beard wandering around with two new Euathlus sp red slings in his pocket.