Feeding roaches

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I have been feeding pre killed mealworms to my slings and i recently bought a starter colony of lobster roaches. I tried switching over to feedig roaches and none of my T's or centipedes will take them. I left the roaches in there for about ten days and the predatory bugs didn't touch them at all. My question is, how large should the roach me in comparison to the T? My largest sling is about 1.25" and the smallest is about .5". Thanks.

cold blood

Staff member
Not all t's will eat roaches. I have zero pede experience, so I can't speak on that.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Try cutting the head of and splitting the roaches down the middle and see if your smaller ts will scavenge feed off them...if your ts still don't accept the roaches you can withhold food for two or so weeks and then offer the roaches they should be hungry enough to take them at that point..
It can be tough to get some ts to take roaches just be patient..
As for the size of roaches offered, feed them roaches that are similar in size to there abdomens.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I have about 57 or so different species of tarantulas. They all eat roaches, I have yet to find a species that won't :?

skippydude

Arachnobaron
How big should the roach be in comparison?
About the size of the tarantulas carapace is the perfect meal size.

B vagans and G pulchripes will eat pre killed prey, so if your roaches are too big you can cut them into the appropriate size for feeding

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
Theyre mediocre climbers. A little vaseline or mineral oil and they cant get out. I havent seen any escape yet. And Kyle from Roachcrossing said they arent very good climbers and that the slick barrier should stop them efficiently.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second the dubia... I feed dubia roaches and I believe only about 5 of my T's won't touch roaches. My adult female M. balfouri, adult female A. versicolor and a few others are the ones that wont. They are just picky eaters and eat only crickets. Dubia are very easy to maintain as well.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I second the dubia... I feed dubia roaches and I believe only about 5 of my T's won't touch roaches. My adult female M. balfouri, adult female A. versicolor and a few others are the ones that wont. They are just picky eaters and eat only crickets. Dubia are very easy to maintain as well.
I just recently made the switch from crix to B.dubia and all of my Ts accept them with no problems!
I was afraid a lot of my burrowers wouldn't be able to eat them because they hide but I squish the head and leave them at the entrance to the burrow and the ts nabm no problem! I also have a timid P.scrofa that won't touch a crick while I'm watching but beasts the dubia as soon as I drop it in!
Even better is that my girlfriends cat doesn't seem to know there there...he was constantly stocking and attacking my cricket colony yet ignores the hundreds of roaches! Just 1 more reason dubia are awesome!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use B lats, B dubia, and hissers. That covers my second instar brachys to my monstrous rufilata. Be very very very careful with lobsters. I've heard of these little bastards getting out and spreading to every house on a street.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I use B lats, B dubia, and hissers. That covers my second instar brachys to my monstrous rufilata. Be very very very careful with lobsters. I've heard of these little bastards getting out and spreading to every house on a street.
Really? I talked to Kyle and he didn't have any warnings or anything, I noticed that on his website he flags the ones that can potentially be pests.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know it happened..... My lobsters use to grow without even being fed.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Be very very very careful with lobsters. I've heard of these little bastards getting out and spreading to every house on a street.
That was my impression. Last summer, as a "gift" I received some lobster roaches.
I killed them all (it was 2 mating pairs plus an extra). Unfortunately, I didn't realize a free male discoid was also sent "free" in the package also. :-(
I had ordered a gravid female discoid, and was disgusted at the "freebies" included.
I guess now you guys think I am horrible, but there was just no way I could take a chance on them.
I read they climb easily and pictured a house infestation. I didn't find anything positive about them and didn't feel like taking a risk.
I'll stick with b lats, and if I am mistaken re: lobsters, then I feel even more horrible I killed a free gift that way.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
That was my impression. Last summer, as a "gift" I received some lobster roaches.
I killed them all (it was 2 mating pairs plus an extra). Unfortunately, I didn't realize a free male discoid was also sent "free" in the package also. :-(
I had ordered a gravid female discoid, and was disgusted at the "freebies" included.
I guess now you guys think I am horrible, but there was just no way I could take a chance on them.
I read they climb easily and pictured a house infestation. I didn't find anything positive about them and didn't feel like taking a risk.
I'll stick with b lats, and if I am mistaken re: lobsters, then I feel even more horrible I killed a free gift that way.
I havent noticed any good climbing from them. I just reapply some mineral oil to the rim every week or two. You guys have me scared now. Im gonna put some screening over the air holes i have in the container now to be safe.