Fog maker

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Hello, I was reading some interesting stuff about P. subfusca environment and some of Michael Jacobi's papers on breeding and It hit me that I could try one of his approaches - recreating fog.
Now, I don't have spare 300 dollars to waste on a fog machine, so I want to make it myself.

http://vbox7.com/play:08939055 - This is 1 way to do it and it seems VERY effective, but I read that 5% concentration of dry ice in the air could be deadly. Is that true? Also, if you guys have any other ideas, please share them!

Any thoughts on the matter will be well-accepted and appreciated.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Yeah, I know it's frozen CO2 at around -80C. So if I use it to make fog, I will just end up with a dead T (and probably myself haha). Guess that's out of the question.

Any other alternatives?

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
300 for what kind of fog maker? I have a subsonic mist maker for my small waterfall and it only cost at most 80 new in box

And I think there is an exo terra ultrasonic fogger

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I saw offers fluctuating around that price. To be honest, I prefer if It can be hand-made, but in time, I will buy a "proven" one, but as of now - I don't have money to spare with all the Ts on my wishlist.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
That's a reasonable price, altho I can't put it in my Ts enclosure due to limitations. But I guess I can work it out and adjust it.

los3r

Arachnosquire
It doesn't actually go in the tank. You just have to have the tube going into the tank. :)

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
That's a reasonable price, altho I can't put it in my Ts enclosure due to limitations. But I guess I can work it out and adjust it.
How big is your tank? The kind im talking about is maybe 2" across and 1" 1 1/2" tall and made to be submerged in water

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
It doesn't actually go in the tank. You just have to have the tube going into the tank. :)
That's great! :)

@Graeboe I will have to take out the ruler and do proper measurements, but that will be tomorrow/monday when I get my female P. metallica (I will also buy a second tank, exactly the same as the one the P. subfusca will be residing in).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The Highland form lives in a rainier environment. Regardless, people have both forms thrive & breed under normal cage conditions. Didn't Jacobi stop using the fog machine on his subfusca? It's a very expensive and complicated way to keep subfusca, and unnecessary.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
The Highland form lives in a rainier environment. Regardless, people have both forms thrive & breed under normal cage conditions. Didn't Jacobi stop using the fog machine on his subfusca? It's a very expensive and complicated way to keep subfusca, and unnecessary.
I was merely considering it. I dont have information on his current husbandry of his P. subfusca. I cant seem to find a way to reach him.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was merely considering it. I dont have information on his current husbandry of his P. subfusca. I cant seem to find a way to reach him.
I put the money, effort, and resources into something else. Subfusca's don't need fog, and breed without it, so why dump money into it? Get some new spiders instead. You can make anything more complicated and expensive, but what's the payoff?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hence why I asked if it can be handmade. I prefer dumping 60$ in 3 P. tigrinawesseli slings or an Ephebopus murinus.
That would be my move.

Jacobi couldn't use substrate with fog, as it got swampy. He had to use pebbles for the bottom, and that's a problem to keep clean, as you have to rinse out the pebbles to get the boluses and feces out of them. Just not a practical idea. And since the spiders don't require it, even more overkill.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'll have to get some other in-depth papers on P. subfusca breeding, other than Michael's. But where from?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Fog provides moisture so if you want the same effect without having to hook up something to a tank or spending tons of money then get a cheap humidifier or get a large bucket and fill it with water. Many tarantulas can breed in captivity with some tweaking to their care, no need to get super complicated with it.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What about a $50 ReptiFogger? I use one for my yellow anaconda and it works great. It could easily be set up on a timer.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What about a $50 ReptiFogger? I use one for my yellow anaconda and it works great. It could easily be set up on a timer.
Why, why, why screw around with foggers for spiders that don't need them? What happens with all the condensation? They'll make a mess.