Thrixopelma ockerti growth

scott99

Arachnoknight
I was wondering what is the growth of the Thrixopelma ockerti.:?

scott99

Arachnoknight
mike also say that the B albopilosum has a medium growth rate, but everyone know B albopilosum has a slow growth rate.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
mike also say that the B albopilosum has a medium growth rate, but everyone know B albopilosum has a slow growth rate.
It probably depends what one considers 'medium'. Mike follows that by saying his 1/4 inch sling hit 1 inch in a year. 'Medium'? That seems slow to me too, actually.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
B. albo has a slower medium growth rate in my experience, at least mine do. It seems like they are definitely some of the faster growing brachys.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Lot of variations that can alter the answer, I don't get these type of questions. Why does the speed of growth matter? They all eventually mature anyway....

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally agree with curious Jay. Who cares how fast a species grows. If you're soooo worried then buy a bigger specimen instead of a sling.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Lot of variations that can alter the answer, I don't get these type of questions. Why does the speed of growth matter? They all eventually mature anyway....
I enjoy seeing the huge, frequent changes my LP slings go through, so its a pretty reasonable question when you're picking a new spider. But, as you say, there's a lot of variation. Mike's basic care sheet gives the conditions in which he kept his spider and the resulting growth he observed. It seems like a really good answer to OP's question.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
B. albo has a slower medium growth rate in my experience, at least mine do. It seems like they are definitely some of the faster growing brachys.
When considering only Brachypelma species, albopilosum actually has a fast growth rate. Try your hand at raising emilia or smithi from 2i and I think you will agree.

T ockerti has a medium growth rate

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My GFs B.albo went from 1/2 in to 1 1/2 in in about 4 months! The only species I have that are growing faster is my poecs..
He is outgrowing lasiodora, nhandu and psalmo sp slings that were purchased at the same time and size!

cold blood

Staff member
When considering only Brachypelma species, albopilosum actually has a fast growth rate. Try your hand at raising emilia or smithi from 2i and I think you will agree.

Or a B. albiceps...geesh, I didn't know any animal could grow so slowly.

I agree that albo is a med growth sp, as is okerti from what I understand.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Or a B. albiceps...geesh, I didn't know any animal could grow so slowly.

I agree that albo is a med growth sp, as is okerti from what I understand.
Have you met Euathlus sp. "red" my friend? I'm expecting a molt by June, 2047.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I got my T. ockerti as a small sized sling. About 2nd instar A. avic size. This was mid July.

He* has molted more frequently and grown faster than any of my other slings. Actually he just molted again two days ago. His last molt prior was aprox. 2 months. They're fairly fast growing and put on a decent size between molts from what I can tell thus far.

*Not sure on sex, just saying he.

Have you met Euathlus sp. "red" my friend? I'm expecting a molt by June, 2047.
Rofl. I have a teeny sling I bought at the same time as the T. ockerti. Martin (TarantulaCanada) told me he's* even slower growing than my RCF G. rosea. I was not prepared! But the little guy is adorable so there's that at least.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince

god you can say that again!!! iv had one b. boehmei for almost a year and its maybe 3.5" maybe.. thats with 1-2x weekly feedings and constant 80deg.. one iv had 6+month and its grown maybe to 2 1/2" -.- gah i had a albo for like 4 months and he was nearly 2.5 -.- albo is def a med growth wiel other brachies grow like gravel, and i dont mean the accumulative type of grow lmao XD

cold blood

Staff member
god you can say that again!!! iv had one b. boehmei for almost a year and its maybe 3.5" maybe.. thats with 1-2x weekly feedings and constant 80deg.. one iv had 6+month and its grown maybe to 2 1/2" -.- gah i had a albo for like 4 months and he was nearly 2.5 -.- albo is def a med growth wiel other brachies grow like gravel, and i dont mean the accumulative type of grow lmao XD
So how big were they when you got them? Without knowing that its impossible to discern just how slow the growth actually was.

For instance, if the 3.5" one started at 1/3" and grew to that in a year it would be screamin' fast, if it was 3" when you got it...well you see how much difference there could be.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
So how big were they when you got them? Without knowing that its impossible to discern just how slow the growth actually was.

For instance, if the 3.5" one started at 1/3" and grew to that in a year it would be screamin' fast, if it was 3" when you got it...well you see how much difference there could be.
ah well verry good point should have mentioned that huh XD they was super small.. im bad at sizing the small slings but def under 3/4" maybe 1/4-1/3 on albo maybe 1/2 for boehmei at the most... boehmei at ~3.5 is fem and grew sooooo slow the first 2" last 1-1.5 has flown but the one iv had for 6ish months.. has maybe gone from ~1/2-probably closer 1.5 ugh :(... tho thinking about it.. my fem boehmei kinda grew as fast as my lasis XD

cold blood

Staff member
ah well verry good point should have mentioned that huh XD they was super small.. im bad at sizing the small slings but def under 3/4" maybe 1/2-1/3 maybe 1/2 at the most on one ... boehmei at ~3.5 is fem and grew sooooo slow the first 2" last 1-1.5 has flown
I think that's pretty good growth for a Brachy. I have also noticed that about them, they grow slow until they hit 1.5-2", then everything changes and they eat everything in sight and molt much quicker.

As slings my B. vagans went from 1/3" to 1 in a year, molting every 75-90 days, barely growing...it hit an inch and started molting much faster (30-40days) and is about 2"(88 days) and getting ready to molt soon again...its been 30 days.

Albiceps was even slower, got it at about 1/2", but it rarely ate, fasted long periods of time and molted on a 3-4 month basis, barely growing (like not really visible at all). I thought it was just one of those "lesser gene" t's so to speak, it hit an inch and ate and molted in 40 days...which was shorter time than many of her fasts and growth was significant at a full 1/4"...hasn't refused a meal since.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I think that's pretty good growth for a Brachy. I have also noticed that about them, they grow slow until they hit 1.5-2", then everything changes and they eat everything in sight and molt much quicker.

As slings my B. vagans went from 1/3" to 1 in a year, molting every 75-90 days, barely growing...it hit an inch and started molting much faster (30-40days) and is about 2"(88 days) and getting ready to molt soon again...its been 30 days.

Albiceps was even slower, got it at about 1/2", but it rarely ate, fasted long periods of time and molted on a 3-4 month basis, barely growing (like not really visible at all). I thought it was just one of those "lesser gene" t's so to speak, it hit an inch and ate and molted in 40 days...which was shorter time than many of her fasts and growth was significant at a full 1/4"...hasn't refused a meal since.
maybe its because iv only been in the hobby a year almost [about to hit my year anniversary and just bought a few T's to celebrate] so i haven't exactly had something grow like a wildfire like you begin to think as a bystander looking into the hobby.. they say genics are fast, others say slow. but my girl went from ~2.5 - prob 4.5-5 in a year id hafta check and that seems fast. but then again iv had a LP and LD who iv had sence what i imagine is 2-3i and they are pushing 4" now.. i mean thats stupendous growth if you think about it 1/4-1/2" per molt.. but it doesnt quite seem like wildfire... XD