Ready for an obt??

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I really want an obt, but I know many people who have had difficult scenarios...
I usually think it's best to plan for the worst, so....
Does anyone have any particularly nasty, difficult or scary personal stories they will share with me? I wanna know what I may be getting myself into!
Thx peeps!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think most of it comes down to what species you have experience with so far. I had one run out of its enclosure one time during a rehouse and was halfway across my bed before I caught it just in time. Read some of the bite reports.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
If you're not the kind of person who freaks out, gets scared or is careless(don't put your fingers or any part of your body anywhere near them), they're no trouble at all. But if you are, they'll likely be a nightmare for you.

They do tend to want to escape more than the average T(many of my slings tend to get bold and brave my tweezers when trying to escape their vials), but as long as you're ready for it(always have a catch cup ready), it's not a problem.

I got one as my second T back when I knew absolutely nothing about them and me and a friend were looking at it after putting her in her enclosure with the top off and after a minute or two, it decided to run out of it like a lightning bolt which kind of surprised us. We just caught her, put her back in and, this time, instantly close the lid of the enclosure.

And that's my worst story about then in 12 years or so of owning that species.

I would strongly suggest that you own at least one calmer tarantula first to get familiar with general husbandry and how they can react to different situations though(assuming you haven't already) if you plan on going through with this.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You're still pretty new to this. Is there a rush? Are you under the impression you have to get an OBT now because they won't be available in the future? Do you live with other people, cats, and dogs? They're a factor in this too. Have you seen videos of how fast OBT's can run? There's been posts here of them escaping. Are you wanting to be the next person to write an OBT bite report?

There's hundreds of tarantula species in the hobby now. I don't understand the fixation of newbies with OBT's, like it's some kind of rite of passage.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool down there... There's no rush nor the thought that I have to get one ASAP, I'm not sure I want to get it, and it wouldn't be any time soon - that's why I asked. It's not a right of passage thing I'm perfectly comfortable with what I have quantity and species wise, just thought I would want to a bit of from others to help weigh my decision in either direction If I decided some time to expand my little family.

---------- Post added 02-28-2015 at 06:16 PM ----------

However, I do think you have a point regarding living with pets... Which it much of why I waiver

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
There's no doubt OBTs are incredibly beautiful. That orange! Those iridescent feet! But I will not get one because I have a cat, roommates, and an apartment. While most tarantulas are harmless we can't be cavalier with the lives and health of others.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Do you have any fast species experience already? (like a psalms or something)?
It boils down to if you are experienced enough and comfortable enough with a fast and somewhat unpredictable T.

There is already a lot posted about OBTs already on these boards.
Someone here once stated, "if you have to ask, you're not ready" and I think there is a lot of wisdom in that remark.

They ARE gorgeous. An amazingly beautiful T and yet so reasonably priced.
I am not in the anti-OBT camp, so my post isn't meant to encourage or discourage.:angelic:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm not 'anti-OBT' either, but they're an advanced species. Sorry, but beginners starting threads about OBT's is a red flag.

What we've seen repeatedly here is beginners who make a few inquiries about getting an OBT 'well in the future.' We explain to them it's a good idea to wait and get more experience and work their way up. And then a week later they announce they've just bought an OBT. Not accusing 'the Mrs' of being one of them, but there's an established pattern here. Why ask about keeping species you have no plans on getting anytime soon, or may never get? There's hundreds of questions to ask about spiders you already have and are hoping to get. These inquiries just have a bad track record. If you're truly not planning on getting an OBT in the short-term, or never even getting one, then there's plenty of time later to deal with this when, and if, that time comes. Yes, I'm cynical, and for good reason.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm not 'anti-OBT' either, but they're an advanced species. Sorry, but beginners starting threads about OBT's is a red flag.
I rather had the impression you breed OBTs.
I pegged you for falling into the "anti-beginner getting too advanced a T before they're ready" camp regardless of if that T was an OBT, pokie, whatever.

But, let's face it, it is usually an OBT people are wanting to start with (low price and availability).
I know I started with the OBT as my first fast/defensive T, so I can't judge.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'd honestly wait til your new slings grow up a bit. You have some good ones that'll prepare you for an obt. I have a 4 inch female and haven't had her very long but I can tell you she's incredibly fast and has been either defensive or very nervous. There's not much middle ground which makes th em unpredictable. Wait til you rehouse the defensive ones you have a few times to get used to it. Get a juvie Ceratogyrus or something. They're chill but will prefer to hide when exposed and slap and throw postures if you invade their space. Plus they have a party hat!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it not better that I start a thread rather than impulse buy?

--J.Haas

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Is it not better that I start a thread rather than impulse buy?

--J.Haas
I think you did the right thing..... 100 times better than "I bought an obt and idk what to do".
I was just picking out boluses from my girl. Defense posture immediately. Idk I just think waiting at least a little bit is better. You've got some pretty nice defensive species to keep you busy in the mean time :)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Is it not better that I start a thread rather than impulse buy?--J.Haas
Much better than my first thread here, something nicer worded but essentially "HELP -- I am in the middle of re-housing a demon spawn from the netherworld and he is very fast, threatening and I am very much afraid."

Or, something like that. Whatever. Who can remember these things? :sarcasm:

lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I rather had the impression you breed OBTs.
I pegged you for falling into the "anti-beginner getting too advanced a T before they're ready" camp regardless of if that T was an OBT, pokie, whatever.

But, let's face it, it is usually an OBT people are wanting to start with (low price and availability).
I've bred the orange and brown forms of murinus, but didn't last year even though I had a MM OBT and several adult females. Just too many are winding up with beginners and that's bad for the long-term survival of the hobby.

There's other cheap spiders that are much better choices for beginners.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I've bred the orange and brown forms of murinus, but didn't last year even though I had a MM OBT and several adult females. Just too many are winding up with beginners and that's bad for the long-term survival of the hobby.

There's other cheap spiders that are much better choices for beginners.
Are their demeanors about the same? I actually didn't even know they existed til a month or two ago when someone mentioned them. I wish the other species in the pterinochilus genus got more recognition.

I agree. I've kept defensive NWs and OWs (slings, juvies and adults) and I just now got an obt about a month ago. They really are the most defensive thing I've seen in my short time in the hobby. I'm sure there's worse but I'm working up there still.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
I think you did the right thing..... 100 times better than "I bought an obt and idk what to do".
I was just picking out boluses from my girl. Defense posture immediately. Idk I just think waiting at least a little bit is better. You've got some pretty nice defensive species to keep you busy in the mean time :)
Did she just rear back or give you the full turnover? Lol our 2nd female "Medusa" (gotta love the name) will completely bend over backwards if she thinks she hasn't intimidated you in the first 3 seconds of her threat display.