I'm going to be absent for 7-9 days..... help with vinegaroon?

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Alright, so March break is coming up (going away on 3/6) and I'm going home to visit my family (and other pets) on Long Island. I have a vinegaroon and two S. polymorpha pedelings here, but I'm taking the pedelings with me since they are conveniently small and don't take up much bag space. I probably won't be around for 7-9 days in my dorm and I'm just wondering what the best approach is for keeping this guy alive. He's a 5" juvenile and is at a descent abdominal girth (reasonable amount of visible flesh in the abdomen), living in a 7.5" W x 12.5 L plastic container. I have a 5W heat pad on top of the enclosure, because I dorm in Syracuse where temperatures can get really low. The building itself allegedly averages about 68-69 degrees, but I try to keep my room at a 70 degree min (that's what the thermostat says, anyways, but I think it might be slightly lower). My concern comes with the fact that if I don't open that plastic bin for days (I open it every day to change the water), the accumulated heat will roast the little guy. Any recommendations on what I should do. I'm just worried that if I poke too many more air holes, then the opposite effect might occur and it'll get too cool for him. As of right now, the minimal ventilation seems to make him quite content and he moves around and explores his enclosure a lot because of how warm and dark it is in there. It also keeps in enough humidity for him to burrow in the coconut fiber/ potting soil mix underneath the sphagnum moss.
Worst case scenario is that I just end up taking him with me.

Suggestions are much appreciated. Pictures are below of his enclosure:
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
(take note he is inside the hide)

Last edited:

TheBeardedGhost

Arachnopeon
Well you could always leave the lid on for a few days and see how the temperatures change. With that being said I'd be surprised if it'll get much hotter than it would overnight.

On top of all that: Buy a thermostat. If you're using a heat pad having a thermostat for it is a good idea. You can set the temperature and let the thermostat do the rest. You can get a basic one for like $30 on Amazon.

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Unplug the heat and just leave em till your back. Should be fine for that long dipping into the high 60s :)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're pretty hardy, so I think yours will be fine for a week.