OBT sac incubation?

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Hello fellow lovers of the 8-legged wonders of the world! I do believe I have asked this question before, but I think it was on the AB Facebook and I didn't get much info. So here is the situation. Sometime within the last 2 weeks, my OBT laid a sac. I know they are not rotated the way most other species do. I'm just curious if I can remove the sac and place it in an incubator replicating a similar environment the sac is in already in the enclosure. I would really prefer to do this vs letting them hatch inside the enclosure; sounds like much less of a headache. Please, share your knowledge with me, as this is the 2nd sac I have encountered and I have no experience with this. The first sac was from the same OBT and I left it in the enclosure for however long, eventually pulled it well after 30 days, to see dried up eggs. Thank you!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Leave it be. I've hatched out a lot of hammock sacs and I think only one went bad, and pulling it probably wouldn't have made a difference. If you're afraid of the female destroying the sac, take her out and leave the sac in place. I always let my hammocks hatch out with the mother.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Leave it be. I've hatched out a lot of hammock sacs and I think only one went bad, and pulling it probably wouldn't have made a difference. If you're afraid of the female destroying the sac, take her out and leave the sac in place. I always let my hammocks hatch out with the mother.
I'm not worried she will ruin it, more so I don't want to try to fish out the ewls when they do hatch. But if removing the sac could complicate things or lead to an unsuccessful sac, I guess I'll leave it be.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm not worried she will ruin it, more so I don't want to try to fish out the ewls when they do hatch. But if removing the sac could complicate things or lead to an unsuccessful sac, I guess I'll leave it be.
They're designed to stay in place, probably so they survive when the mothers are snatched by baboons, mongeese, and honey badgers. No reason to tear apart a hammock sac. They're pretty much bullet-proof if they're left in place.

Mello

ArachnoQUEEN
Awesome! That is good to know. Lol whoever said OBT are the easiest to breed may have been incorrect. I did take mom and dad out of the enclosure. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll see some little babies. :)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I pulled my obt sac 25 days because I didn't want them to get out, but 95% of them got out of my incubator anyway. I never had any tarantula's get out of my incubator till these obtain and since then not one has gotten out. I don't use a shoe box. I use an awesome incubator. I haven't lost any babies in this type.

Congrats On The obt sac.

Last edited: