Leirus quinquestriatus won't eat

Scorp2

Arachnopeon
Need some help, my leirus has not eaten since I bought it about two months ago but it is active and moving around I've heard they can fast for a long time, is this true?

Attachments

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Two questions: How did you get a Leiurus without already being on this board? And why do you think it can't sting you through that glove? (because it can)

Also....if that thing gets loose in your house, your liability if someone gets stung will be very serious legally and financially.

But to answer your question, the scorpion looks quite plump to me, and also of mature size. It could be gravid, or just plain stuffed and not in need of a meal.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Scorp looks fine to me (other than it not being in an enclosure of some sort). Desert species like to fast sometimes, especially if they have been eating well recently. I've had scorps and T's go months without eating without any problems. Once they feel ready to eat, they'll voraciously attack anything they think they can overpower. As much as we try to establish habits of some sort in our inverts, we are still definitely on their time, not the other way around ;) I'm sure she'll be fine.

Last edited:

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Your leiurus appears to be either gravid or close to a final molt
It would be perfectly normal for your scorp to fast if it were infact ready to molt or extremely well fed but on the other hand if it is infact gravid - I would be concerned with her not eating. Gravid scorps tend to eat like pigs even when they look like they'll burst up until a week or 2 before birthing
Handling your scorp could also be stressing it out a lot which could result in it not eating also
Another possibility is that you aren't keeping your scorp warm enough for it to properly use it's food which could result in the chunky appearance and lack of eating.
More info provided would certainly help us be able to help you :)