Coconut Crabs

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
These are really incredible animals.
Has anyone ever seen one in person? I'm curious to know if any zoos or aquariums have successfully kept this species in captivity before. While I think it's best to leave them in the wild where they belong, I'm curious to know if anyone has ever kept one or if that is even possible. Really impressive animals.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Seen them. Eaten them. Hated down in South Thailand and Malaysia and get tossed into the pot when ever spotted. They raid the trash dumps at night. Hide in the palms during the day. Sort of the crustacean equivalent of a mongoose. Highly invasive where palms grow.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Several zoos in the US keep Birgus. Frank Indiviglio wrote this article about them, and Coenobita hermit crabs, at the Bronx Zoo: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...and-coconut-crabs-the-worlds-largest-as-pets/. They seem to have quite a history with the Endangered Species List, and are both increasing their range and greatly declining in parts of it.
I'd spring at the opportunity to keep one... If I was properly prepared.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Several zoos in the US keep Birgus. Frank Indiviglio wrote this article about them, and Coenobita hermit crabs, at the Bronx Zoo: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...and-coconut-crabs-the-worlds-largest-as-pets/. They seem to have quite a history with the Endangered Species List, and are both increasing their range and greatly declining in parts of it.
I'd spring at the opportunity to keep one... If I was properly prepared.
One of those paradoxes life loves to throw in ones face. They are impressive animals. Survivalists Armed and ready from day one to take on the world. Very tenacious and breed faster than flies. Paleobiologists suspect a number of bird and land animals extinction is likely to have been caused or accelerated by these.
Personally, I think a number of people have dropped their bottles and gone on the wagon after seeing one of these scuttle out from under a bush and stroll about.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
One of those paradoxes life loves to throw in ones face. They are impressive animals. Survivalists Armed and ready from day one to take on the world. Very tenacious and breed faster than flies. Paleobiologists suspect a number of bird and land animals extinction is likely to have been caused or accelerated by these.
Personally, I think a number of people have dropped their bottles and gone on the wagon after seeing one of these scuttle out from under a bush and stroll about.
haha i think id love to see that.. quick give me an address! ill send a camera to hide! lol

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
When I saw one of these it reminded me of the crab people from South Park. lol
But these guys are amazing!!!

Hanska

Arachnobaron
I saw two species for sale a while back, not surprisingly, in Germany. One was 800e and the other 1600e.

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
2 Words
"Alien Facehugger"

Have only ever seen 2 live ones
Way back in the day when I was a kid
A reptile shop had 2 about Cantaloupe sized ones
That was back in like the Early 80s

Asked a vendor that had a lot of crab Sp. about them a few years back
&
Let just say I could feel the Stick Eye over the computer for even asking

Wish we could get them in the hobby
'Cause they are gnarly looking
But.....

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2 Words
"Alien Facehugger"

Have only ever seen 2 live ones
Way back in the day when I was a kid
A reptile shop had 2 about Cantaloupe sized ones
That was back in like the Early 80s

Asked a vendor that had a lot of crab Sp. about them a few years back
&
Let just say I could feel the Stick Eye over the computer for even asking

Wish we could get them in the hobby
'Cause they are gnarly looking
But.....
Maybe they have molecular acid for blood as well..,

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
Birgus in Captivity

I've never seen a live Birgus, but like many others have admired them for decades. They are an amazing creature. Here's what I've heard from others:

They can destroy almost anything you try to keep them in, unless it's a glass or acrylic tank. In glass tanks, they have rolled off a piece of driftwood and busted or cracked the glass. Also, in a closed environment like an aquarium...well...ever smelled a hermit crab tank? Start multiplying that smell...

These things are for real. They don't just sit around and look cool. They destroy stuff.

But keeping one, somehow properly housed...would be bad to the bone. No argument here.