Avic. Mettalica

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Guys, at the expo I just got B. auratum, B.vagans for free and a A. Metallica. This is my first time keeping pink toes so can anyone offer me any tips?
And if this was in another thread, can someone put the link?
Thanks

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dry substrate and lots of cross ventilation. These are the two most important things. Being arboreal, they do well with a tall enclosure with a slab of cork bark tilted against one side of the enclosure. I like to include some plastic plants or leaves to encourage them to web.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Mine is about an inch specimen. Currently in a really tall pill jar. What do u mean by cross ventilation? And I thought the needed good humidity? Not exactly happy right now. My B.vagans died in a molt and the new one and the B. auratum all have dark spots on abdomens and might be in premolt. But they were both eating. Premolt?
and pls explain cross ventilation.
Thanks

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I kinda agree with Bob. Cross ventilation is key, but he's in Florida where it's super humid. King, you and I are up where it's super cold and dry. I've only lost avicularia slings to being too dry never because the enclosure is soaked. I also own practically every species of avicularia being sold in the US. I suggest keeping your enclosure moist, so the spiderling doesn't dry up and die.

One of my favorite sp. These are unlike any in avicularia in terms of mannerisms. They aren't as skittish as most avics. A great massive fuzzy snow capped Avic!

If it's too stuffy in the enclosure avics haven been know to become largathic and die.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Thanks. But what about the premolt thing? dark spots but great appetite.Any ideas?
Thanks,
King sparta
(ps pls subsribe to my youtube channel it is also called king sparta)

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is about an inch specimen. Currently in a really tall pill jar. What do u mean by cross ventilation? And I thought the needed good humidity? Not exactly happy right now. My B.vagans died in a molt and the new one and the B. auratum all have dark spots on abdomens and might be in premolt. But they were both eating. Premolt?
and pls explain cross ventilation.
Thanks
Lots of holes poked on each side of the container so you can get a cross breeze. Avics live up in the trees in the wild where the air is constantly moving. Try not to overdue it with misting. Despite what many caresheets say, they don't need a ton of humidity.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Lots of holes poked on each side of the container so you can get a cross breeze. Avics live up in the trees in the wild where the air is constantly moving. Try not to overdue it with misting. Despite what many caresheets say, they don't need a ton of humidity.
A. Versicolor along with maybe couple species get a high amount of ventilation, being due to specific location that allows for the coastal effect to bring in strong winds and high ventilation, coupled with small land size in comparison to the surrounding bodies of water. This is not the case for most avics. Most Avics live in hot humid dense forests.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like poec said, they're up in the trees where there is more air flow, thus it is more dry up there. This applies to all Avics.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think Avics probably develop respiratory problems from stale, stuffy air.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
In forests, up in trees, where there's constant air movement that dries things out. Avics aren't on the ground with the puddles and mud.
Last time I checked Poec, I didn't say they did. My Dads from a tropical Island, I can guarantee, that its not "dry", but yes dryer where Avics hangout. I didn't post this info based on a hunch or an article I read, but people who specialize in breeding avics in the dozens per sp. and from my father. There are avics where he is from. I don't want this to turn into an argument, just want to help clarify what I was saying.