New Haplopelma

arach619

Arachnopeon
I recently picked up a Haplopelma vonwirthi from a sweet Craigslist deal. "She" had a pretty sad setup and I couldn't resist haggling and picking her up. I threw something together for her and I'm happy with how it turned out which I'm sure she'll be as equally content with. I will call her Baroness Von Worthy. :alien:

Attachments

David VB

Arachnosquire
Haplopelma's are obligate burrowers, no? Guess it needs way more substrate. My sling even has more depth than this.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would suggest more substrate as well. Also i would put her in a different enclosure. Exoterra are more of an arboreal enclosure. That setup was a freaking joke. Looked like a homeless person's house lol.

Below is my "new" H lividum and her enclosure. And of course she chose to burrow around the pothos lol.

Attachments

Last edited:

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah it did look like a homeless persons house.however she was making good of what she had.T's are survivors.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 08:59 AM ----------

She must have been on spiderfare

ASAP TARANTULA

Arachnopeon
Don't get me wrong man its a pretty nice setup for sure but they are right, you do need more substrate
20150302_121055.jpg
^Use something like the jar with the white led on it. I'm using it for my 2.5 inch H.Gigas, C.Marshalli, and O.Aureotibialis. Its less than $5 at Walmart.

cold blood

Staff member
+1 fuzzy

This is an arboreal enclosure, it needs to changed to be set up properly....It needs MUCH more room to burrow and remove the climbing type plants and replace them with ground level plants. Probably try a different enclosure altogether.

asap, your enclosure on the far left also needs work;) What species is in there??

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha! Poor creature, too bad most humans shouldn't have kids or pets. I wish people would do more research before buying any animal. I Google everything. I'm surprised that von worth was even alive...

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 10:04 AM ----------

ASAP your gbb Male should be in something shorter so he doesn't fall and die.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Haplopelma's are obligate burrowers, no? Guess it needs way more substrate. My sling even has more depth than this.
Arach619's new enclosure has substrate sloped from back to front, creating the appearance of a hill side. That's an 18 inch tall Zoo Med terrarium (NT-2), so the substrate is around 10 or more inches deep at its deepest point. You give your sling that much substrate?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunately not.... The tank I have is deep and I filled the tank up. I want her to feel safe, plus this is a species I've wanted to breed since I bought my first speciemen a month into the hobby. The first cobalt I saw had me in love with this species ( This was my first time seeing a colorful tarantula). My first H lividum was a mature male and I didn't know at the time... I always try to help new people with sexing and seeing if their specimen is a mature male or not. I don't want any males to go to waste!

Also I originally had 28 inches, but I bet the ground has settled, so it's not as deep as 28 inches. Probably more around 25 or so.

Last edited:

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Given the pics you posted, you must have a tank approaching 3 feet tall/deep in order to have 28 (edit: or 25) inches of substrate. That's a huge tank, and must take up a lot of space.

cold blood

Staff member
Arach619's new enclosure has substrate sloped from back to front, creating the appearance of a hill side. That's an 18 inch tall Zoo Med terrarium (NT-2), so the substrate is around 10 or more inches deep at its deepest point. You give your sling that much substrate?
It really doesn't matter how much room to burrow there is in that enclosure, it just simply allows for too much vertical space and is a poor choice for any terrestrial IMO.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It really doesn't matter how much room to burrow there is in that enclosure, it just simply allows for too much vertical space and is a poor choice for any terrestrial IMO.
I've made semi-similar enclosures in the past that mimic a "hill-side" or embankment type of environment. That was for obligate fossorial species though, not any heavy-bodied terrestrial species of course. I had no problems.

arach619

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone and thanks for the comments and criticism! The homeless person's house was what sold me on her tbh, apparently she's been living like that for about 9 months! As for her new enclosure this is what I had on hand and as someone mentioned it is a MASSIVE exoterra and she has 11-12 in to burrow on the highest point of her slope and about 6 at the lowest. I bought 40 lbs of substrate at Home Depot and ended up using about 35 lbs of the stuff- trust me this lady has room to dig! I am aware that this species enjoys their digging space and I made sure to use up most of that vertical space with substrate, with that being said if she grows any more and appears to want more I will gladly rehouse her. For now though, I'm sure she's glad to be out of her cardboard box!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't care what peeps are saying about your enclosure I think its fine! Its much better than the cardboard box and inch of bone dry sub that the T was forced to endure for far too long! Nice save man!

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah it will work, but it seems like a total waste of all that vertical space. Plus look at the height, way too much distance to fall for any terrestrial.

At least it no longer looks like a homeless guy's t any more:wink:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yeah it will work, but it seems like a total waste of all that vertical space. Plus look at the height, way too much distance to fall for any terrestrial.

At least it no longer looks like a homeless guy's t any more:wink:
Hmm I didn't really think about the risk of falling..good point..