Does legless tarantulas breeds?

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have heard that tarantulas who lost legs will spend their energy in recovering the leg, instead of in reproduction and will not lay an ooteca if they are paired up. I am asking that cause my adult female P. metallica molted last night and lost one of the legs, and my MM wont last until the next molt. So should I have some hope or just let it go?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have heard that tarantulas who lost legs will spend their energy in recovering the leg, instead of in reproduction and will not lay an ooteca if they are paired up.
Tarantulas don't "lay an ootheca"...

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
If your mature male is not going to last and you can keep your female very well fed, I cannot see the harm in trying to breed them. Its possible someone else will have actual experience with breeding a female with a lost limb, but between risking a dud sac or having a viable sac as being the risk, I don't see a problem with breeding them.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They will breed now if you get a sac that another question ,I paired my 7 legged A hentzi last October they did breed but she molted.it's pretty good change she will to.worth a try though.

Gekkotan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantulas don't "lay an ootheca"...
They lay eggs and then pack them in a ooteca, better now?

Thanks for the answers guys, but I would pair them up anyway. I just want to know if anyone had offspring from a 7 or 6 legged spider.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Can't really cut corners w terminology....anywho, I'm sure breeding your 7 legged tarantula is absolutely possible, but obviously not optimal. Good luck!

cgrinter

Arachnopeon
They lay eggs and then pack them in a ooteca, better now?

Thanks for the answers guys, but I would pair them up anyway. I just want to know if anyone had offspring from a 7 or 6 legged spider.
An ootheca is completely different structurally. Individual eggs are encased in a protein and lumped together that hardens into a shell, some are papery, leathery, or rock hard. Spiders group eggs all together in a silken ball which is called an egg sack. Two terms for two very different methods of protecting eggs.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Title made me look.
I was picturing a legless T, not a T missing a limb (or 2).
I was thinking "well, how would they mate" and "is it really a T if it has no legs."
Evolution can be interesting but a legless genus/species? sheesh.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Title made me look.
I was picturing a legless T, not a T missing a limb (or 2).
I was thinking "well, how would they mate" and "is it really a T if it has no legs."
Evolution can be interesting but a legless genus/species? sheesh.
Got to admit, same reason I'm here...