Use of a Humidifier

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been thinking this over for quite some time and just haven't gotten around to doing so. All tarantulas are in our back room, largest room in the house. They are wall to wall in shelving units. A space heater is in the room to keep temps around 78-82 degrees. We live in Oklahoma, so it is very dry herem year round.

I'm having to mist containers/tank/fill water dishes almost 4 times a week in order to keep humidity up. It is very strenuous and would like to add a humidifier, if that would be the best way to go. I know RobC had one in his basement and I think it worked well for him, but never talked to the guy.

I saw some here for sale,http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...idifier&ie=UTF8&qid=1425402671&rnid=386465011

but wanted everyones opinion on what is the best route to go. Thank you!

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I think I'd hang a damp towel or something before spending $ on a humidifier.

archaeosite

Arachnosquire
I think I'd hang a damp towel or something before spending $ on a humidifier.
I disagree, if the labor to raise the humidity requires 4x a week mistings in dry Oklahoma, the ~$50 on a humidifier would be money well spent.

Austin, I have heard that ultrasonic, filterless humidifiers are the best, like this one. It looks like you'd have to refill it once a day, but that's relatively easy to do, say, first thing in the morning. It also has an auto shut off. You have to clean it weekly, but you don't have to buy filters, and you can clean it with vinegar which is pretty safe to use around inverts.

Now, I don't own a humidifier myself, living so close to the sea, but I've been thinking of getting one for my poor dry nose. It seems like money well spent.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm in the same situation with low humidity where I live and I've discovered that sphagnum moss is a keeper's best friend in that type of environment. I keep bowls of wet moss hanging around the room to raise the overall humidity and toss moss in my more humidity dependent enclosures. I can make it three or four days here before I have to wet moss again, which is a miracle when I was needing to moisten sub and refill water bowls daily before.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I use the filterless ultrasonic model sold at Wal-Mart,and I love it.Warm air humidifiers made a lot of condensation,cool air filtered ones simply didn't work well.I've used all 3 types in my own T room,and I would only ever use the ultrasonic one.Mine has been running non-stop since Sept.,and is still going strong.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I just have a simple one that puts out steam, also have used a bucket of water to achieve the same affect. Though an ultrasonic one sounds very nice as well. The money spent is worth the peace of mind you get.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Honestly I have a large ultrasonic humidifier that I'm using for around my Ts that need more moisture and it really does help out. By having it in the room (And its a large living room) I've had to cut down on adding water to their enclosures from every other day to 1 every fourth.