Adult Holothele incei Reintroduction

pokie99

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I have two adult females H. incei kept separately. I'm thinking of breeding them and making a communal. I was wondering if there's any way of introducing them after so much time (they're siblings) and keeping them in one enclosure without accidents. Is this possible? I've read that this species is one of the best for a communal but I'm really skeptic about putting two adults together. Is there any way of doing that? I will be very grateful if somebody gives me an advice.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give them lots of places to hide and plenty of food and should do fine and yes they do good communally.mine is doing good in a 10 gallon tank .I also have 2 female and 2 male Hapalopus sp. Colombia large living together in a 10 x 7 size sterlite container hoping to get some sacs soon

pokie99

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the quick reply! I've read of slings of this species eating each other, then what happens to adults? How big should the enclosure be? Will they live in one burrow or will they web the opposite sides of the enclosure? How can I be sure they won't eat each other? At least they are the same size. What will happen if one of them molts? And what will happen if both of them produce sacs and they hatch?

louise f

Arachnoangel
yes you can put them together, as just1moreT says give plenty of room/hides and food. but i would recommend to rehouse them in a new enclosure together.

pokie99

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I know I must rehouse them together because if one has already settled in and made a web, the other one is vulnerable. How big should the enclosure be? Will the two Ts live together or will they just avoid each other?

louise f

Arachnoangel
i keep mine in 19x19x12 enclosures if that helps. i am not good at the gallon thing sorry :)

pokie99

Arachnosquire
Is that in inches? What size were they when you introduced them and what size are they now? How many do you have in one enclosure?

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
There's no guarantee they won't eat each other if you put them together and that's valid for all species of tarantula.

None of them will truly live as a group forever. Your best bet is to give them enough food that they won't consider eating each other and plenty of place to hide in case one start seeing the other as walking food so they can escape.

In my experience, they'll all make their own burrow and avoid each other. Personally, I ended up with one big one out of 15 or so slings in a 40g tank.

pokie99

Arachnosquire
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll make a communal with one of them and her offspring and the other I'll keep separately. I haven't heard of another person keeping this species in my country and I don't know if I will be able to buy one again if they die so maybe it really is better not to risk the lives of the two adult females - I'll make experiments with the young. Thanks for all of the advice!

louise f

Arachnoangel
Is that in inches? What size were they when you introduced them and what size are they now? How many do you have in one enclosure?
Ohh sorry,i men't kept mine, i dont have them anymore. it is years back. yes it is in inches. they were subadult i had 15 in that colony.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll make a communal with one of them and her offspring and the other I'll keep separately. I haven't heard of another person keeping this species in my country and I don't know if I will be able to buy one again if they die so maybe it really is better not to risk the lives of the two adult females - I'll make experiments with the young. Thanks for all of the advice!
what country are you from, if i may ask ;)

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 07:55 PM ----------

what country are you from, if i may ask ;)

pokie99

Arachnosquire
I'm from Bulgaria. That's in Europe. There are some pretty experienced keepers here too but they aren't many and their experience is maximum 10 years. There is only one big tarantula only dealer and nobody imports H. incei because only a few people know them and will buy them. I got lucky because one exotic pet store imported some from Czech and bought two. They both turned out to be females. I don't know who bought the rest. The only other time I've heard of someone owning this species was in 08 when a big collector had a male. He couldn't find a female. Actually, you can order whatever you want from the importers so it's not like we don't have choice. It's just that the hobby isn't as big as in the bigger and more developed countries and there aren't many experienced keepers who would want a rare species. I've been in this hobby for a year now but I've read a lot in the internet in different forums and sites.
P.S. My two females are the GCF. What were yours?

louise f

Arachnoangel
I'm from Bulgaria. That's in Europe. There are some pretty experienced keepers here too but they aren't many and their experience is maximum 10 years. There is only one big tarantula only dealer and nobody imports H. incei because only a few people know them and will buy them. I got lucky because one exotic pet store imported some from Czech and bought two. They both turned out to be females. I don't know who bought the rest. The only other time I've heard of someone owning this species was in 08 when a big collector had a male. He couldn't find a female. Actually, you can order whatever you want from the importers so it's not like we don't have choice. It's just that the hobby isn't as big as in the bigger and more developed countries and there aren't many experienced keepers who would want a rare species. I've been in this hobby for a year now but I've read a lot in the internet in different forums and sites.
P.S. My two females are the GCF. What were yours?
Ok. i am from europe too. Denmark. I can easy send you some new ones if you are gonna need them :)

what do you mean with GCF ?

pokie99

Arachnosquire
Yes, I mean Gold Color Form. To Louise f: Do you go to the reptile shows in Czech? How do you send tarantulas to different countries? PM me so we can talk about that. I will be very happy if this can happen.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Yes, I mean Gold Color Form. To Louise f: Do you go to the reptile shows in Czech? How do you send tarantulas to different countries? PM me so we can talk about that. I will be very happy if this can happen.
No it was not the gold color form. i have written a pm to you ;)

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 07:53 AM ----------

http://youtu.be/YKSkjc3JuXA

take a look at this setup. they have lots of space, and hides

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 07:56 AM ----------

Hey pyro you must mean 20 gallon then ? :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
No it was not the gold color form. i have written a pm to you ;)

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 07:53 AM ----------

http://youtu.be/YKSkjc3JuXA

take a look at this setup. they have lots of space, and hides

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 07:56 AM ----------

Hey pyro you must mean 20 gallon then ? :)
indeed if your using inches [which im guessing you did sense you said gallon and not liter] did the math and the us would classify that as a 20gallon, as sadly the volume is almost never as advertised -.- for you metric fellows its 73 liter spot on tho :)

Last edited:

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
Give them plenty of space and places to hide from each other and also lots of food.