choices

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
So I'm going to be ordering a 1.5" Lasiodora parahybana from Swifts Inverts as soon as this weather breaks and I'm trying to decide on a freebie.

Its between a h. Mac and a p. Cambridgei
I really want the heteroscodra but I feel like the psalmo would be a better intro to defensive species
Thoughts?
Advice?
I've only owned slow terrestrials for about 7 months now aside from my a metallica sling which obv is by no means defensive
Now, please don't try to sway my decision or tell me the dangers or consequences of moving through the ranks too quickly I am fully convinced I'm ready to step it up and have done plenty of research.
Kind of a pointless "Im way too excited with no one to talk ab it to" post, but really I'd just like a discussion with experienced keepers who've dealt with these species and have insight as to raising them from a sling.
Que the flaming :sarcasm:

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Given your time and experience, the choice is easy. Get the P. cambridgei. H. maculata is not a good starter to Old World species. P. cambridgei look nice too.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

Once you do venture into Old World species, try one like C. darlingi or C. marshalli. They look awesome and do throw threat postures but don't tend to "bolt" like an H. maculata might. My C. darlingi doesn't even usually make threat postures. Monocentropus balfouri are also a great start to Old Worlds, and for many reasons!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
H macs take forever to grow, so if you get a sling you could get the experience you need. Only do this if you feel ready. Just take precautions and be careful.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
H macs take forever to grow, so if you get a sling you could get the experience you need. Only do this if you feel ready. Just take precautions and be careful.
I've got four H Macs. One of which is 1.25 inches. It took 6 months to get there

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Given your time and experience, the choice is easy. Get the P. cambridgei. H. maculata is not a good starter to Old World species. P. cambridgei look nice too.

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 07:56 PM ----------

Once you do venture into Old World species, try one like C. darlingi or C. marshalli. They look awesome and do throw threat postures but don't tend to "bolt" like an H. maculata might. My C. darlingi doesn't even usually make threat postures. Monocentropus balfouri are also a great start ds, and for many reasons!
Right on man I appreciate the positive insight.
I too was leaning towards the cambridgei even though I want the heteroscodra soooo badly, my common sense has always told me to be patient.
Ever since I bagan reading about keeping and available species I have been lusting after the incredible elusive African aboreal that is the maculata. Like serious envy. Haha
Thanks again tho for the advice and suggestions!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P cambridgei is a good choice. There's nothing wrong with taking your time, but make sure you get t's that catch your eye.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right on man I appreciate the positive insight.
I too was leaning towards the cambridgei even though I want the heteroscodra soooo badly, my common sense has always told me to be patient.
Ever since I bagan reading about keeping and available species I have been lusting after the incredible elusive African aboreal that is the maculata. Like serious envy. Haha
Thanks again tho for the advice and suggestions!

Ofcourse man. My cambridgei also seem to grow like weeds so that's another plus. Their speed will help prepare you for other fast and/or aggressive T's as well. Good luck with your new T's when you get them!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Why hurry? If you get all of your dream Ts early on you may get bored. STAY HUNGRY!

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Just take precautions and be careful.
Always
First and foremost always respect the predacious animal.
I don't feel like Im "not ready", per set. Moreso just trying to ease into it ya know. I knew in advance that I probably would wait to grab the heteroscodra but I really just wanted a different point of view and that's what I got and I thank you for it!

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
P cam. Patience is a virtue. P cams get big and grow at a decent rate. If you plan on picking up more defensive NWs and some juvie beginner OWs within the year, the h mac could be fine. It's the venom people worry about. I've only had adults of this species and they were just pathetically terrified little creatures. They'll bite but it's not on their list of priorities. You're probably better off waiting, and getting a juve h mac later on. They're not that pricey. That's what I'd do at least.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course I enjoy giving people different perspectives. Life isn't just one, it's many.

I started with all old world's besides a B smithi because that's what I liked most at the time. So I never waited on any particular tarantula, so it's given me a different perspective. Even though I never worried about vemon potency or speed. Not everyone can or should do this. All individuals are different and come from different backgrounds.

This is my five inch P cambridgei.

Haha btw my friend Ben produced the P cambridgei and H mac that Kelly has.

Attachments

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Of course I enjoy giving people different perspectives. Life isn't just one, it's many.

I started with all old world's besides a B smithi because that's what I liked most at the time. So I never waited on any particular tarantula, so it's given me a different perspective. Even though I never worried about vemon potency or speed. Not everyone can or should do this. All individuals are different and come from different backgrounds.

This is my five inch P cambridgei.
That is a good looking spider. *whistles*

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you! She's super green, great eater, and very docile. Not as skittish as my other mature females. One of my favorite. Wish I could of gotten a better picture. :/

Last edited:

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
P cam. Patience is a virtue. P cams get big and grow at a decent rate. If you plan on picking up more defensive NWs and some juvie beginner OWs within the year, the h mac could be fine. It's the venom people worry about. I've only had adults of this species and they were just pathetically terrified little creatures. They'll bite but it's not on their list of priorities. You're probably better off waiting, and getting a juve h mac later on. They're not that pricey. That's what I'd do at least.
I agree.
Except I don't plan on getting any more defensive spiders until I have this psalmo down pat.
Although a certain chromatopelma juvie is up next after my parahybana and psalmo get settled in.
I'm very excited to experiment with housing on behalf of the semi-aboreal persuasion of the cambridgei!

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
She looks incredibly green! If you get one, post it. I actually didn't like p cams until I saw one in a friends collection. Mine is still a little thing. I hope it doesn't turn out anything like my devil irminia.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you like African arboreals, one day you should get an S calceatum. They're way bigger and better than H mac, but more attitude and vemon.

Good choice on the GBB next.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I agree.
Except I don't plan on getting any more defensive spiders until I have this psalmo down pat.
Although a certain chromatopelma juvie is up next after my parahybana and psalmo get settled in.
I'm very excited to experiment with housing on behalf of the semi-aboreal persuasion of the cambridgei!
Nice! You can have my 5 inch GBB. She's the dumbest spider I've ever seen lol. Im kidding. I can't give my brain damaged child away. But they're great! Kinda flicky. Here's my dumb dumb MM h mac trying to" escape" 20150207_124746.jpg

---------- Post added 03-03-2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

If you like African arboreals, one day you should get an S calceatum. They're way bigger and better than H mac, but more attitude and vemon.

Good choice on the GBB next.
How big do s cals get? I thought it was around the same as h mac. I have no idea.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll take your slow gbb and give you gbb slings for her.

And I'll take her out and feed her a dubia so I can get some pictures. The only way she does anything is if I give her a treat lol.

My first S cal girl was six inches. I thought she was a regalis lol. I was so naive back then. I've never seen any animal teleport so fast!

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'll take your slow gbb and give you gbb slings for her.

And I'll take her out and feed her a dubia so I can get some pictures. The only way she does anything is if I give her a treat lol.

My first S cal girl was six inches. I thought she was a regalis lol. I was so naive back then. I've never seen any animal teleport so fast!
I'm not totally opposed to that offer..... you have to watch her eat..... she csnt take more than one prey at a time, she's a terrible eater and most of the time she'll stand on the preys head, kind of go for it then freak out, flick hair, and run in her hide for 3 days...
oh maybe I should try that with my dumbf___ gbb. I mean I love her and she's docile but man is she stupid.
Bahaha Omg what??? I have. It's name was h mac.