Tarantulas noticing each other?

artemisrush

Arachnopeon
I keep all of my tarantulas in separate enclosures (of course) right next to each other on the same shelf. Last week I got a new ~4" G porteri and the shelf is now a bit crowded and the enclosures are only a couple inches apart. Since this happened my ~4" female rosea almost seems interested in the porteri? She's totally changed up which side she spends all of her time on so she's always right next to the porteri's enclosure and is almost always facing it so it looks like she's looking at it, which is super unusual since I've never even seen her on that side before. Since they're both female it's not a matter of mating. And it's not really worrisome or anything. I'm just curious to know if this is normal? Cuz I feel like if they noticed each other they would get defensive?

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tarantula's use pheromones, so yes they noticed each other. Also don't breed with porteri. They might not even be the same species. All of mine are next to each other and my t's aren't ever defensive.

How do you think mature male's find female's in the wild?

artemisrush

Arachnopeon
That makes sense. I guess I just assumed that they would be defensive or territorial knowing there was another tarantula so close.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you put two t's together they will. They're in two different enclosures. Your girls will be just fine. ; )