Parents won't let me have more T's!

The Only Python

Arachnopeon
Hi guys! I am a grade 10 student from Canada, and my collection currently consists of 14 T's (mostly NW terrestrials). My parents keep telling me that I have too many and am never allowed to get more. I think that as long as I am able to provide care for hem without being overwhelmed it is fine. I work at a reptile shop so I pay for them all myself, and for their food/enclosures. All of you know how addicting this hobby is, and how much it would suck to be given a limit on tarantulas! How can I convince my parents that it's not as big of a deal as they are making it.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Move out. Parents are parents. Even when you move out they still tell you what to do. Try sitting them down and having a MATURE conversation. If they don't budge, you'll probably have to wait. Oh the joys of teenage life. It'll be over before you know it, believe me.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I happen to be 15 and in 10th grade as well! My parents don't really mind. My main thing was getting them to allow roaches in the house lol. But, my parents don't have any intention of setting a limit, I am at 24 tarantulas now and they went to the last expo with me. I would do what IHeartTs said and just talk to them. Pretty much the only thing I do is talk about some kind of arachnid, I guess it shows them how much it means to me or something so they don't mind.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
15 here too, also in 10th but my parents said I couldn't have more and now they're helping me get containers for when I breed some species. Persistence is key here, do well in school, do your chores and behave. That usually gets the trick done. And my T collection is smaller due to centipedes, isopods, roaches and mantises. Also one lonely Lactrodectus hesperus that hangs out in her vial all day.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hide your tarantula's in your room lol. That's what I would do, but it's an addiction and I can't ever have enough lol. :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You've definitely got to respect your parent's wishes. After all, it's their home and they probably worked hard for it so they have the right to say what is and is not allowed in it. If I were you, I'd write an essay about why you should be allowed to have more. Show them how serious you are, and how passionate you are. But don't badger them, because that'll get you into trouble faster than going behind their back will.

There is no wrath, like an agitated mother.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I didn't know there was more 15 year olds here lol. And I am in Ashton's boat kind of. My T. collection isn't giant because of my many other inverts. If it wasn't for them, I would have hundreds by now. But yeah, don't be mean to your parents and do what they say for the most part, works pretty well! :geek:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
You've definitely got to respect your parent's wishes. After all, it's their home and they probably worked hard for it so they have the right to say what is and is not allowed in it. If I were you, I'd write an essay about why you should be allowed to have more. Show them how serious you are, and how passionate you are. But don't badger them, because that'll get you into trouble faster than going behind their back will.

There is no wrath, like an agitated mother.
This^^. Taking the opposite of this advice is why I was grounded 95% of my high school life. Not worth it. You have plenty of time to grt Ts. They aren't going anywhere.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
This^^. Taking the opposite of this advice is why I was grounded 95% of my high school life. Not worth it. You have plenty of time to grt Ts. They aren't going anywhere.
Right? I wish I'd discovered this hobby when I was fifteen. You've got plenty of time, and you can look forward to new species being introduced as you get older and the prices of rare ones dropping. Your future is bright, don't be glum.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Right? I wish I'd discovered this hobby when I was fifteen. You've got plenty of time, and you can look forward to new species being introduced as you get older and the prices of rare ones dropping. Your future is bright, don't be glum.
Omg so do I..... I probably woulda behaved much better if I had some incentive. Yes! So many great species coming in! Who knows, maybe they'll let you expand if you take the right approach.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I think the problem with my mom was that she thinks a single tarantula represents the entire taxon, so she believes that you don't need more than one tarantula since she doesn't realize there's so many species and variety out there (keep in mind I technically got my first tarantula in 8th grade, so I was 13 at the time, but only have owned 4 distinct species total since). Same could be said with my scorpions and other inverts. Luckily I'm 20 now so I get a little more freedom, but being a full-time college student with no current job and a debit account that only gets deposits from the folks (and the fact that I have to keep inverts in secrecy from my dorm staff) doesn't help too much as far as investment in the hobby goes...

Last edited:

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I think the problem with my mom was that she thinks a single tarantula represents the entire taxon, so she believes that you don't need more than one tarantula since she doesn't realize there's so many species and variety out there (keep in mind I technically got my first tarantula in 8th grade, so I was 13 at the time, but only have owned 4 distinct species total since). Same could be said with my scorpions and other inverts. Luckily I'm 20 now so I get a little more freedom, but being a full-time college student with no current job and a debit account that only gets deposits from the folks (and the fact that I have to keep inverts in secrecy from my dorm staff) doesn't help too much as far as investment in the hobby goes...
Welcome to the poor college kid club. Lovely isn't it? I'm stuck in perpetual grad studentland where money doesnt exist, nothing is free, and school wants you to suffer. Oh the life.

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Went through the same issues growing up. I found that my closet shelf was the perfect place for more T's and the P's never went in there or knew until I went off to college. Find a way! No regrets :happy:

louise f

Arachnoangel
I feel bad for you, but do respect your parents rules,and you will get very far. Or move if you don't like their rules.
I hope things will work out for you. good luck.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
.... do well in school, do your chores and behave. That usually gets the trick done. ....
Some of the best advice here so far.... ^^^

You need to show the responsibility of an adult to be treated like an adult(not that I am saying you are not already doing this). The fact that you are subsidising your own hobby is great and a good point during a mature debate with your folks. Better a collection of Ts than spending your money on drugs and clubs, right?!

At the end of the day it is their home and if I was you I would not get any without their knowledge, maybe they find the additional T you sneaked in and they force you to get rid of all your Ts, the risk does not seem worth the reward...

Plus there is plenty time later on in life to get as many as you want. Trust me if it's not parents who are pestering you about not getting more Ts, it will be a girlfriend, a wife, a room mate, or friends who think you are crazy! As the odd balls we learn to roll with the punches.

Best of luck!

MrDave

Arachnosquire
Don't forget that your life might undergo some extreme changes in just a few years. You may find yourself heading off to college or otherwise moving out of your parent's home. Then, you may not be able to keep as many spiders as you currently have, never mind an even larger collection. I'd suggest waiting until your life stabilizes again before committing to a larger collection.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Welcome to the poor college kid club. Lovely isn't it? I'm stuck in perpetual grad studentland where money doesnt exist, nothing is free, and school wants you to suffer. Oh the life.
Haha. Excellent, someone else understands! I must ask, though, do you have any suggestions of how I can horde more inverts in my dorm (not too many, but just enough to fill up my desk)? So far I have a vinegaroon, two S. polymorpha pedelings, pumpkin patch (Colombia large), and their culture of food roaches and sowbugs, and a possible soon-to-be S. alternans. My oldish rose hair has the luxury of staying at home in a large terrestrial enclosure, but I kinda wanna bring her up here, too

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Haha. Excellent, someone else understands! I must ask, though, do you have any suggestions of how I can horde more inverts in my dorm (not too many, but just enough to fill up my desk)? So far I have a vinegaroon, two S. polymorpha pedelings, pumpkin patch (Colombia large), and their culture of food roaches and sowbugs, and a possible soon-to-be S. alternans. My oldish rose hair has the luxury of staying at home in a large terrestrial enclosure, but I kinda wanna bring her up here, too
Do you have a roommate? And do either of you drink? I only ask because inverts seem to become the most fascinating thing to drunk people and its dangerous for the little guys. And you run the risk of being booted out of the dorm. I hid my hermit crab sophomore year and my hamster junior year (I was a super senior because of my major), and that was hard enough. They RA and hall director have the right to enter your room under suspicon without warning. So if you must keep one, try and make it ONE. Your life will be easier lol.