G. Rosea and fake plants? O.o

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
My MF took a liking to some fake vines. I don't know how it happened or the whole story. My little brother has some fake plants in his room from when he was helping me 'decorate' my A. Avics enclosure. The vines were way too large so we never used them. Today, he asked if we could put the vines in the G. Rosea enclosure "because she really likes them!" he says. He's a weird kid so I just agreed and would take them out later. To my surprise, the moment the vines were put in there, she crawled up on top and snuggled in. Is this safe? Should I take it out?
I'm still quite new to the hobby but I've never heard of plants in a terrestrial enclosure. I know this is petty but I just want to know if I can leave the vines in there.
uploadfromtaptalk1425485456649.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You can leave them in its no problem..
She may end up digging it up and moving it around or burying it But its valuable enrichment either way...

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
Most of my terrestrials have plants of some kind in their enclosures and I haven't encountered any problems. My G. porteri particularly enjoys hers. She sits on them and flattens them to her liking, rearranges them, and generally messes with them. I've actually seen her sitting just like your rosea often.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Better fake plants than live ones. At least your T can't kill a fake plant :D She'll do what she wants with the vines. If she decides she doesn't like them, she'll probably try to bury them or stuff them in her hide, or just push them to one side of the enclosure. Entertaining no matter what.

Here are a couple other AB threads with some more info/people's experiences:
http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr...or-slings.-Y-N-Opinions&highlight=decorations

http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr...-Extras-quot-in-T-Tanks&highlight=decorations

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Oh, wow, Thanks guys!^~^
I had never seen or heard anything about putting fake plants in a terrestrial enclosure but this really helps. I'm extremely glad I can leave them there, she's been messing with them and moving them all around the enclosure which was quite entertaining to watch.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

Better fake plants than live ones. At least your T can't kill a fake plant :D She'll do what she wants with the vines. If she decides she doesn't like them, she'll probably try to bury them or stuff them in her hide, or just push them to one side of the enclosure. Entertaining no matter what.

Here are a couple other AB threads with some more info/people's experiences:
http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr...or-slings.-Y-N-Opinions&highlight=decorations

http://arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr...-Extras-quot-in-T-Tanks&highlight=decorations
Thank you for the links! Those threads were pretty insightful, should make my tarantula keeping way easier.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Fake plants are a good addition to most tanks, IME. Much easier to maintain than real ones, and the crickets won't chew on them.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Never thought to give the terrestrials any plants. I use them for arboreals, since it gives them something to web too. Although mine often skip a leaf and web directly onto container side.

These do look pretty. I might see if mine would accept a little faux-foliage.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm a big believer in plastic plants (silk have dyes and sometimes fragrances). One thing that cage need is more substrate. Spiders climb the sides and if they fall too far and land on a hard object, they can split their abdomen open, like that cork.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
+1 to what Poec54 said. Seems like your spider loves exploring and climbing, so better safe than sorry :)

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
I'm a big believer in plastic plants (silk have dyes and sometimes fragrances). One thing that cage need is more substrate. Spiders climb the sides and if they fall too far and land on a hard object, they can split their abdomen open, like that cork.
Thank you so much. She absolutely loves it. Since it was put in there, she seems to be happier and exploring more. She tried to put the plant partially under the substrate and in the hide-away so I already added much more substrate.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
So, after her experimenting with the fake plant, she put it all back where it was in the first place, webbed up the entrance to her hideaway and then blocked herself in with substrate, any specific reason for this behaviour?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Just being a spider doing Spidey things. Do you always leave your door wide open?:alien:

Sana

Arachnoprince
My G. porteri did the same thing three weeks ago and I haven't seen her since. I'm guessing premolt on mine, but it's just as possible that she needed some alone time. I just posted a thread the other day asking for reassurance that all was well, and as expected everyone said she's fine.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
So, after her experimenting with the fake plant, she put it all back where it was in the first place, webbed up the entrance to her hideaway and then blocked herself in with substrate, any specific reason for this behaviour?

They usually don't say why they do things.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if it was an indication of something severe going on with her or if she was just doing her thing. I'd worry about my other animals if they did that.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My rosea also is much happier with her fake fern. She looked depressed when I took it out.