P. cambridgei enclosure ventilation

TarantulaSeth

Arachnopeon
I intend to rehouse my 1" dls P. cambridgei into this new container. Do you believe that this is enough ventilation?

20150304_145236.jpg

20150304_145313.jpg

Thanks

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Plenty, it's more than I give mine. Be careful with the screw-on lid that it's legs don't get caught in the threads when you open and close. You should always check inside before you open it up, so it's not up at the top.

TarantulaSeth

Arachnopeon
Oh good, I've never kept an arboreal sling before this one and I was worried about under or overdoing it. You have definitely put my worries to rest.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
I'd suggest getting rid of the bottle cap water dish, Ts generally shouldn't be given nor need one below 2-3".. Alternatively pop a rock or couple of small stones in, just to reduce the risk of drowning.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'd suggest getting rid of the bottle cap water dish, Ts generally shouldn't be given nor need one below 2-3".. Alternatively pop a rock or couple of small stones in, just to reduce the risk of drowning.
Mmm, not true! I give all Ts .75"+ a water dish. I've heard you can give them at .5" but I feel better waiting until their leg span is at least that of the water cap. And you can add a rock or pebble-- or multiple ones depending on water dish size-- but you have to wash them frequently because they can trap and harbor bacteria. I used to, when I was getting comfortable. Now I don't. I feel more confident they won't drown, and also with as many Ts as I have now it's just not worth the hassle.

And remember, water dishes are the best way to add humidity to an enclosure.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Mmm, not true! I give all Ts .75"+ a water dish. I've heard you can give them at .5" but I feel better waiting until their leg span is at least that of the water cap. And you can add a rock or pebble-- or multiple ones depending on water dish size-- but you have to wash them frequently because they can trap and harbor bacteria. I used to, when I was getting comfortable. Now I don't. I feel more confident they won't drown, and also with as many Ts as I have now it's just not worth the hassle.

And remember, water dishes are the best way to add humidity to an enclosure.
+1 I offer water dishes to all slings at about the 1/2 to 3/4 DLS mark.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I disagree. Slings have little drought tolerance and should have a water source at all times. All of my slings get a small water bowl (lid from a 16 oz water bowl) when they're 1/2" DLS. None have ever drown. For any smaller than that, I give them moist long fiber sphagnum moss.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I disagree here.. my slings are 1" and they have water bowls..

Pfft! Drown? Tell that to a H. Gigas

cold blood

Staff member
Slings have little drought tolerance and should have a water source at all times. All of my slings get a small water bowl (lid from a 16 oz water bowl) when they're 1/2" DLS. None have ever drown. For any smaller than that, I give them moist long fiber sphagnum moss.
+1 I offer water dishes to all slings at about the 1/2 to 3/4 DLS mark.
I also give water dishes at 1/2-3/4" depending on the specimen. They will not drown, and judging by the number of drinks, I believe it to be of a great benefit to slings. I also put in and periodically moisten sphangnum moss. I had a pic of a 1/2" versi sling drinking from a water bottle cap without issue, but it was a really poor quality photo.

Plenty, it's more than I give mine. Be careful with the screw-on lid that it's legs don't get caught in the threads when you open and close. You should always check inside before you open it up, so it's not up at the top.
That was my first thought, its more than I give them, too.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Again, +1 on the water dish. I give all my slings water dishes relative to the size of the spider even at 0.5" DLS. As moxie said, they are a great way to add humidity to an enclosure and you can rest easy in the knowledge that your sling's chance of dehydration is significantly lowered.