Is she ready to mate?

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone! My male grammostola pulchripes matured a few days ago. I found on the internet a female that i want to buy and mate with my male. Is this female mature and ready to mate? On my opinion she's still to young but i want te hear what you guys think about it. Because its the only female i can find to buy (in my country are not much sellers for T's). Capture d’écran 2015-03-05 à 17.45.07.jpg

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally agree with you. In my opinion she's way too young to breed. These are pretty common here. Wish I could send you a mature female from here.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No way with that female. They get 7+ inches. I wouldn't dream of pairing up a pulchripes female that was under 6".

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Thats what i thought so.. Anyway thanks for reply!

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 06:22 PM ----------

And probably when she wil be mature my male will be already dead i suppose?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No way that girl is still in diapers!
I bred pulchripes many many years ago I had 5in and 6in females... The 6in produced a sac and the 5in tried to eat the male...

peterUK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only way to be 100% sure if she is old enough to breed is to check her spermatheca to see if it is sclerotized.
All tarantulas are ready to breed at a much smaller size than people think, which is generally between 1/2 and 2/3 of the generally excepted adult size.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's only like 3.5 inches. That's not even close to mature. I suggest you don't breed her. I've bred small female's and they either eat the male or run away from him.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
And probably when she wil be mature my male will be already dead i suppose?
Long since dead.

---------- Post added 03-05-2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

The only way to be 100% sure if she is old enough to breed is to check her spermatheca to see if it is sclerotized.
All tarantulas are ready to breed at a much smaller size than people think, which is generally between 1/2 and 2/3 of the generally excepted adult size.

Being 'able' to breed and it being a good idea are two different things. Young females are still growing and putting resources into that. Diverting a significant amount of that for egg production means she isn't likely going to do either well. Because she's growing, she's molting more often, which means there's a greater chance of her shedding before laying a sac. Plus young females tend to produce small sacs with low survival rates, not really worth rushing things. Why not give her a year or two so she can focus on egg production?