Pick 2: [B. smithi] [L. parahybana] [C. fasciatum]

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Been growing the B. smithi and the C. fasciatum for about 5 years now, have had them both since they were small juvies/slings. The B. smithi is around 4" now, the C. fasciatum is almost 3", both female.

I told myself I was not going to get any more T's, but I came across the L. para and had to get her. One of my favorite species, and one that will put on some real size, and grow a little faster (I hope!).

B. smithi is the standard, classic tarantula. Gotta have it.

C. fasciatum is very nice because it has cool patterns, and stays small which is good for saving space. She looks cooler than either the B. smithi or the L. parahybana, even if she is half the size.

Maybe I will just keep all three, but if you had to pick two to keep and one to sell, what would you go for??

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Been growing the B. smithi and the C. fasciatum for about 5 years now, have had them both since they were small juvies/slings. The B. smithi is around 4" now, the C. fasciatum is almost 3", both female.

I told myself I was not going to get any more T's, but I came across the L. para and had to get her. One of my favorite species, and one that will put on some real size, and grow a little faster (I hope!).

B. smithi is the standard, classic tarantula. Gotta have it.

C. fasciatum is very nice because it has cool patterns, and stays small which is good for saving space. She looks cooler than either the B. smithi or the L. parahybana, even if she is half the size.

Maybe I will just keep all three, but if you had to pick two to keep and one to sell, what would you go for??
i would keep the B. smithi and L. parahybana and sell the C. fasciatum... also C. fasciatum arnt that small really. i have a mature female fasciatum and she about 5" maybe 4.5"... and another thing, C. fasciatum had a name change to pentalore i believe

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are you under the impression that LP's get huge? Most females max out at 7-8", and there's a number of other species that get that size, and most are more colorful than LP's.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Keep the smithi & LP, sell the fasciatum....... Easy for me to say, I own the first two, but not the third.

You're right, the smithi is one of the classics of the hobby, and the sheer size of the LP (my MF is 8+ inches) is quite something to behold. :)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Are you under the impression that LP's get huge? Most females max out at 7-8", and there's a number of other species that get that size, and most are more colorful than LP's.
hey poec... read my first comment and let me know if im right about that name change... people have been telling me they got changed and ive been told atleast three different names, but the one i mentioned get brought up the most.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
hey poec... read my first comment and let me know if im right about that name change... people have been telling me they got changed and ive been told atleast three different names, but the one i mentioned get brought up the most.
I was under the impression that they were different species since I've been told in the past that what I had was a pentalore instead of a fasciatum because the Spermathecae were different so if that's not true, I'd like to know too.

I've been meaning to refresh my memory and try harder to identify mine, but I haven't done so yet.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Poor LPs... They're plain and black.

But they're so funny! I'm so upset still that my big 5" guy died this winter. :(

His sister is not as big. Or as amusing. But they have more personality at the moment than any of my Ts. Quite active.

But yes people seem to think they're getting a 10" tarantula. In reality expect a 7" tarantula. If you get an 8" one you got a good one,

Most people seem to prefer geniculatas and Pamphobetus I guess for big NW terrestrials.
Or if you're up to it raise a therephosa. I think they're even more dull colored though.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I was under the impression that they were different species since I've been told in the past that what I had was a pentalore instead of a fasciatum because the Spermathecae were different so if that's not true, I'd like to know too.

I've been meaning to refresh my memory and try harder to identify mine, but I haven't done so yet.
ive been told for the past month or two that the fasciatum under went a name change and that it was changed to pentalore. i have even seen them being sold as a pentalore once before. im just not 100% on it being fact.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
ive been told for the past month or two that the fasciatum under went a name change and that it was changed to pentalore. i have even seen them being sold as a pentalore once before. im just not 100% on it being fact.
Reading back the 5th post in the thread I linked, pentalore was from guatemala and fasciatum from costa rica so they were two separate species at one time at least. But in the T world, you never know what will happen with the names so it's possible it got changed to pentalore and the old pentalore was changed to something else, I have no idea.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Reading back the 5th post in the thread I linked, pentalore was from guatemala and fasciatum from costa rica so they were two separate species at one time at least. But in the T world, you never know what will happen with the names so it's possible it got changed to pentalore and the old pentalore was changed to something else, I have no idea.
either do i. its all very confusing to me. until i start seeing the name change being used by everyone and sold as pentalore by everyone, then ill just gonna keep calling it fasciatum.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Most people seem to prefer geniculatas and Pamphobetus I guess for big NW terrestrials.
Or if you're up to it raise a therephosa. I think they're even more dull colored though.
I had an A. genic. a while back, unfortunately it died as a juvie. I saw a beautiful 5" female at a show recently, I think M&T might have been selling her.

And I had a T. blondi for a little while who was about 6" but she never settled in. The most uptight and high strung tarantula I ever met. She also ended up dieing after I gave her to someone else.

I was hoping that the L. para. would get to be about this size; is this abnormally large for these guys?

Lpara.jpg

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
i would keep the B. smithi and L. parahybana and sell the C. fasciatum... also C. fasciatum arnt that small really. i have a mature female fasciatum and she about 5" maybe 4.5"... and another thing, C. fasciatum had a name change to pentalore i believe
How long did it take your C. fasciatum to reach that size? Like I said, mine is about 5 years old, and once she hit 3" her growth slowed down a lot. Though I also have not been power feeding these guys and keeping them at ambient temps, which for me are on the cooler side.

Also the lack of colors for L. para makes me feel like I need to keep the C. fasciatum to keep some color in my small collection lol. Same reason I got a tricolor apricot milk snake to go with my WT ball python.

MrDave

Arachnosquire
If money is a factor, you'd get the most money for the smithi, no?

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
How long did it take your C. fasciatum to reach that size? Like I said, mine is about 5 years old, and once she hit 3" her growth slowed down a lot. Though I also have not been power feeding these guys and keeping them at ambient temps, which for me are on the cooler side.

Also the lack of colors for L. para makes me feel like I need to keep the C. fasciatum to keep some color in my small collection lol. Same reason I got a tricolor apricot milk snake to go with my WT ball python.
i didnt have my C. fasciatum since it was a sling. i bought my fasciatum at the size it is now. she also has a missing leg.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
If money is a factor, you'd get the most money for the smithi, no?
Definitely. I paid $50 for her back when she was 2". However money is not so much a factor as cutting down on space if I have to move in the near future, and avoiding letting my collection get out of control again ;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
lol brachys are awsome. i love the smithi, you gotta have a smithi. they are like the poster tarantula for this hobby!
Ehh.. I had a couple over the years the only brachys that remotely interest me are auratum, boehmei, baumgarteni and albopilosum..
But I agree smithi is pretty iconic and is one of the best Ts on the market...

cold blood

Staff member
I'm utterly shocked at all the people saying to keep the LP...I'd ditch that LP in an instant over the other two....LP is literally the least interesting looking of ALL the large NW terrestrials....just about every one of them grows fast, and eats like a pig, which are basically the draw of an LP...but they ALL look sooooooooo much better....even its cousins difficilis and klugi look better....its also the t that holds by far the least value...damn things are basically worthless compared to other species....keep the cool 2 and ditch the dime a dozen LP...that's my opinion at least.

Just look at the LP pic posted...aside from size, its just a plain jane boring brown t...I fail to see the draw.