Scolopendra japonica

Yutaka

Arachnopeon
My favorite centipedes.

DSC_3099~01.jpg

DSC_3102~01.jpg

I want to Scolopendra heros castaneiceps......

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are S. japonica available in the U.S.? I'd love to have a couple of them.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Are S. japonica available in the U.S.? I'd love to have a couple of them.
Well, considering they're a subspecies of S. subspinipes, it's quite probable that at least one notable seller has them.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, considering they're a subspecies of S. subspinipes, it's quite probable that at least one notable seller has them.
They USED TO BE a subspecies of subspinipes, but have been raised to species level, along with many (all?) of the former subspecies. However, they were uncommon in the U.S. when they were considered a subspecies, and it's doubtful that the reclassification has made them either more or less plentiful in the trade.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
They USED TO BE a subspecies of subspinipes, but have been raised to species level, along with many (all?) of the former subspecies. However, they were uncommon in the U.S. when they were considered a subspecies, and it's doubtful that the reclassification has made them either more or less plentiful in the trade.
I knew this was the case with dehaani, but never heard of the rest of them being elevated to species-level. Apparently in some texts, the "subspecies" are no longer treated as such, but as "infraspecies,", rather, which is a rank slightly above "subspecies" (or comparable?- depending on which document/ context you're referencing it from), but below "species". Usually that sorta thing is only used with plants, but in the case of some arthropods and other inverts, I suppose it can also be used?