A. metallica not eating

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I have an A. metallica sling, about 3/4" DLS, he molted 13 days ago and has not eaten anything since. His fangs have darkened up, and I've offered him small crickets and fruit flies. He's currently living in one of those maraschino cherry jars, with air holes poked at the top.
The guy I bought him from said he was eating fruit flies, and he's been in premolt since I've had him. The only thing I can think of doing is moving him to a smaller enclosure.
P_20150305_173005_HL.jpg
P_20150305_172919-1.jpg

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have ventilation holes in sides for cross ventilation -- solid top.
Fangs look dark enough to me, not sure why he would refuse food.
Have you tried tossing the food right near him?
I have a lazy a avic who won't walk more than 2 steps for food.
At any rate, unless some experts tell you otherwise, 13 days doesn't seem extremely long to me.
Does he have a water bowl?
He may be thirsty.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I think that enclosure is too dry. Especially if you don't have a water source. Baby avics with dry up quickly. 13 days isn't long, but make sure she/he is getting some fluids or your metallica will curl up.

Please rehouse your metallica that isn't the safest or best enclosure choice.

Also what is the temperature where your tarantula's are located?

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Personally I think that enclosure is too dry. Especially if you don't have a water source. Baby avics with dry up quickly. 13 days isn't long, but make sure she/he is getting some fluids or your metallica will curl up.

Please rehouse your metallica that isn't the safest or best enclosure choice.

Also what is the temperature where your tarantula's are located?
I will, thank you.
Currently the temperatures are at 75°

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you ma'am.

That could be reason it's not eating. I wouldn't worry too much as long as there's water for it to drink.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Thank you ma'am.

That could be reason it's not eating. I wouldn't worry too much as long as there's water for it to drink.
I'm setting up a new enclosure now with cross ventilation, I'll be sure to add a water source. Thank you for the help!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Of course. Thank you for accepting constructive criticism like a champ. Most people aren't so good at it. I don't want any little avics to die on my watch.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Of course. Thank you for accepting constructive criticism like a champ. Most people aren't so good at it. I don't want any little avics to die on my watch.
I've learned that getting defensive doesn't go anywhere. In the end, I have a lot to learn and I'm grateful for advice from the experts.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I keep all my Avic slings in 16 oz deli cups (32 oz is too tall for a small sling, they're too far away from the food and water). You give them cross ventilation for the airflow they need (2 or 3 rows of small holes), and a solid lid holds in some humidity for a microclimate. That jar is just the opposite, and that's a problem.

The standard Avic sling set up should be an inch of dry substrate, a piece of cork or plastic plant, and a small water bowl. Mist once a week, and then only very lightly and only on the spider's silk, for drinking not humidity. The mistake many people make with their first Avics is to over-mist. That makes the substrate wet, condensation forms, and you have a dead Avic. They can't take stuffy, stale air. They live up in trees where there's breezes that dry things out after rains.

Avic slings are some of the most delicate slings in the tarantula family; they have a narrow range of acceptable conditions. Terrestrials tend to be more forgiving of incorrect care.

cold blood

Staff member
At 3/4" its completely unnecessary to offer pita fruit flies, its PLENTY big enough to take down a small cricket. Don't bother with fruit flies, they don't offer good nutritional value anyway.