A. metallica question

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Hi guys, I newly acquired an avic mettalica. I heard that avics die easily. I was wondering, this night I noticed it going into its webbing. (tall pill jar). Just a few centimeters. Big problem? the humidity or ventilation?
Thanks

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Avics will regularly hang out in there webs for extended lengths of time... If this is unusual behavior for your avic it might just be preparing for a molt..
If it has good ventilation cross and a little on top,water and temps 70+ but below 85 its probably fine...

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
No, it always on top. But today, it went down two centimeters down its web and then went up?
Thanks

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Cross ventilation is important, so if you've got yours in a glass jar I would recommend moving it into something plastic that allows you to poke holes in the sides. Poking holes in the top doesn't do much aside from let humidity escape. I personally keep my A. metallica slings in large plastic spice jars, but if I'd had them on hand at the time I would have used 32 oz. deli containers.

I actually started a thread really similar to this recently to make sure that I set up my Avics right. You can see both my first attempt, where I went way overboard on the cross-ventilation, as well as the final product that got a stamp of approval. Here's a link.

I've linked straight to the post that shows the good enclosures, but if you scroll up to the top of the page you'll see my failed attempt.

ETA: I just read another thread with pics of enclosures far better than mine - Hungry Ghost has come up with a great idea for arboreal sling enclosures. You can see them here.

Last edited: