Customizing 32oz deli cups

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
Ok this is semi serious in topic bf I have smaller cups on order and I can always order acrylic containers but for the sake of time...
I have a couple of avic slings in 32oz deli cups where they have made thier webs in the top corners. I'm filling the cups halfway bc they don't go to the bottom to get prey. My question is. Has anyone cut a little door in the side of a deli cup for giving them food and water so the top doesn't have to be pulled on and off ruining their web? If so how did you secure it after. Or anyone have pros and cons to this idea?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Buy you a whole bunch of various size small bottle corks off eBay, burn a hole the size you want -- voila -- a door wherever you want it.

I bought the "variety" pack, since some corks may fit your hole better than others (use a soldering iron).

I also have larger holes in tops of acrylic containers that fit a wine bottle cork.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
"On this episode of Pimp my deli container..."

Sorry- semi-serious, right!

I've never done anything like that. I'd be worried the cork would fall out and bye bye spidey.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
It doesn't hurt to tear the webbing a little when servicing your avics, it's a necessary evil. Doesn't matter where you put the door, the little SOB will choose that spot for its funnel web anyway, lol. My avics are in Exo Terra nana talls and it seems like every one of them tries to web the door shut.

Graeboe

Arachnoknight
"On this episode of Pimp my deli container..."

Sorry- semi-serious, right!

I've never done anything like that. I'd be worried the cork would fall out and bye bye spidey.

lol believe it or not the girls keep trying to put sequins on their spiderlings enclosures ugh. I was thinking cutting a flap on the side buy worried taping it might make a spot where the spiderling could get a leg stuck. Just a spot to put tongs or eyedropper through is the idea

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'd be worried the cork would fall out and bye bye spidey.
Nah, they fit pretty tight (if done right with best size cork) and I sort of twist them in (like a screw/bolt) so it's a very snug fit.

I love having a way to refill a water dish or shove a feeder in without causing a huge disturbance.
And those small corks are dirt cheap (can't imagine I paid over $5 for bag of like 25 various small sizes).
If the hole should ever enlarge (it won't if a soldering iron makes the hole) you could always upgrade to a larger cork later.

Ymmv.

---------- Post added 03-06-2015 at 12:19 PM ----------

worried taping it might make a spot where the spiderling could get a leg stuck
If you go this route, I would rub some dirt into that area (exposed sticky tape) to eliminate the risk.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It doesn't hurt to tear the webbing a little when servicing your avics, it's a necessary evil. Doesn't matter where you put the door, the little SOB will choose that spot for its funnel web anyway, lol. My avics are in Exo Terra nana talls and it seems like every one of them tries to web the door shut.
"And STAY out!"

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I use vent holes for my watering.. I have a blunt syringe needle that fits right on in and i fill the dish... As for feeding.. Tbh may as well open the container.. If your not wanting to open the lid cuz of webs... Then?...Dont have a deli? If its a runner just do maintanance over a tote... Dont make it any harder then it needs to be.. I habe 4 psalms and my versi in 32 each web top to bottom (esp last one who was upgraded recentlu) eventually they stop webbing the lid ime..

cold blood

Staff member
I use vent holes for my watering.. I have a blunt syringe needle that fits right on in and i fill the dish
I do the same, a syringe is excellent for adding moisture on the walls or webbing for drinking as well as filling dishes.

I also just pop a corner for feedings. There's usually a small area that's not webbed, I open it there. If its webbed all the way around, I open an area, slice the web tube and drop the feeder right into the web tube. I like that the tops are flexible enough to just open small corners, makes things easier than rigid tops.

I first had one of my versi slings in a talenti container with a hard crew on top. It webbed the top as expected, but every time I twisted to open, it literally twisted the web tube, for fear of twisting the t into the webbing or constantly destroying everything, I cut a small triangle in the top for feedings and covered it with a square piece of plastic with a weight on it...eventually I moved it into a 32oz. deli cup.

I use about 3/4" of substrate and give them the room, by doing this I can keep them in these deli cups a lot longer, like 3.5". I've never had issue with them finding and catching prey, but the web tubing at the top makes it really, really easy to deliver pre-killed prey, and my avics have all proven to be quick and efficient scavengers.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I do the same, a syringe is excellent for adding moisture on the walls or webbing for drinking as well as filling dishes.

I also just pop a corner for feedings. There's usually a small area that's not webbed, I open it there. If its webbed all the way around, I open an area, slice the web tube and drop the feeder right into the web tube. I like that the tops are flexible enough to just open small corners, makes things easier than rigid tops.

I first had one of my versi slings in a talenti container with a hard crew on top. It webbed the top as expected, but every time I twisted to open, it literally twisted the web tube, for fear of twisting the t into the webbing or constantly destroying everything, I cut a small triangle in the top for feedings and covered it with a square piece of plastic with a weight on it...eventually I moved it into a 32oz. deli cup.

I use about 3/4" of substrate and give them the room, by doing this I can keep them in these deli cups a lot longer, like 3.5". I've never had issue with them finding and catching prey, but the web tubing at the top makes it really, really easy to deliver pre-killed prey, and my avics have all proven to be quick and efficient scavengers.
Doesnt the needle make life easier? Lol if im adding it to the side, gently apply preasure. filling a bowl, use normal preasure. Little guy new to the enclosure and you dont wana ruin webs just yet but it just put dirt in the bowl? Quick pressure kicks all the dirt out and leavs a clean bowl

My avics a pain but my psalms have no issue with me tearing webs a time or two seem to stop webbing in that spot..and the peel top does help out i cant imagine using a twist top for a tunnel webber xD

Last edited:

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Below are photos of deli cup mods I made for my avic slings. It's made using 2 deli cups, one is cut and used as the base. It's opened for feeding and maintenance from the bottom leaving the slings webbing intact. Works great.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Iv seen people use those.. Id be scared of the sling getting cought under the 2layers... Plus I cant use those.. All my webbers web top to bottom usually making leafage as a damn for the top works for me tho

awiec

Arachnoprince
I am usually not concerned with web tearing, my versi has had her web torn by me for the past 2 years and she has learned just to leave a section non-webbed so I open the lid there for feedings and waterings. Though I do use air holes for watering my more feisty species, when I first got my C.darlingi she would try to bolt every time I opened the cage so watering with a syringe and air hole is much easier on me and she had no stress; also have a P.vitatta who likes to hang out on the lid so the holes are useful in that situation too.

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
I have never done it myself, but I did see a deli once that was modified to incorporate the screw top of a 20oz. plastic pop bottle. The pop bottle top had been cut just below the point where it started to taper out to the wider part of the body and hot glued to the deli top. This provided a small opening with a screw cover (plastic bottle cap) that could be used for minimally invasive watering and feeding.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Customizing deli cups would be a great idea...if they existed.

I swear, how long is this myth going to be perpetuated here?