What are the best first OW Ts?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Ok so I was wondering, and after a search on the boards I didn't come up with much on this topic.

What are the best first OW tarantulas? (AFTER owning NW terrestrials, NW tropical terrestrials and NW aboreals)

This is plain curiosity asking, so NO I don't want to get one nor do I want one at this moment. I thought I'd ask this so when I am ready for an OW eventually in the far future, what species to look for. (I don't want to feel ready for an OW and dive into stromatopelma or chilobrachys as a first OW) So please don't burn me (the reason why I started this thread in tarantula chat instead of the discussions section)

I know ceratogyrus is a great first OW, and also monocentropus balfouri. What else?

I also feel that the opinions of experienced members on here would help those with enough practical experience with NW aboreals and NW tropical terrestrials, who wants to advance to OW Ts, would give them at least an idea of what species are great to start with.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
M. balfouri is a great one that is pretty easy going, and so is C. marshalli. Maybe Eucratoscelus pachypus?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
M. balfouri is a great one that is pretty easy going, and so is C. marshalli. Maybe Eucratoscelus pachypus?
I have never heard of eucratoscelus.. and I just know if I'm going to look it up on the internet I'll be adding another specie to my to have list LOL

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 07:36 PM ----------

Are eucratoscelus a genus from africa? I like the ones with the fluffy hind legs

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 07:37 PM ----------

Just to bad ceratogyrus is illegal in my country.. :( darn it!!

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I just got my first OWs, and besides my C. marshalli I also got Augacephalus ezendami. It's my understanding they're on the calm side-- for an OW, of course.

As bioginger54 said, I've also heard great things about M. balfouri. I'm planning to get a sexed female on my one year 'anniversary' of T keeping in June.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I just got my first OWs, and besides my C. marshalli I also got Augacephalus ezendami. It's my understanding they're on the calm side-- for an OW, of course.

As bioginger54 said, I've also heard great things about M. balfouri. I'm planning to get a sexed female on my one year 'anniversary' of T keeping in June.
I think one day I'm going to apply for a permit to keep indigenous species.. looks like all the great starter OWs are ones that are illegal to keep in my country without permit, lol.. I think my first OW would be a M. Balfouri

Congrats on your new little creapies! I saw the pics you posted, and they're so darn cute!

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 08:05 PM ----------

Oh lord those legs of the eucratoscelus pachypus!!! It's one of the most adorable things I have ever seen! Now you've done biolantefan54!!

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
I've heard nothing but good things about Ceratogyrus.

In fact I've heard keepers say you could deal with one easier than a Psalmo.

M. balfouri I keep hearing they're either calm, or can be nasty. Idk.
They're funny looking though.

I wish I'd gotten a Ceratogyrus.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I started with a P. regalis 1'' sling. My M. balfouri is pretty calm and could definitely be a great starter T.

gobey

Arachnoknight
My P. regalis are both really awesome. And very simple to learn and deal with. But they are fast and grow real quick.

I'm ok with it. Maybe some others wouldn't be.

They're great Ts though.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm probably going to get a ton of heat for this but if you have worked with a few psalmos and taps for a while.. I would say one of the easier going pokies... Miranda,subfusca,subfusca (barra), formosa,metallica or regalis...

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Are P. Regalis the only poeics on the calm side? Or are there others as well?

Edit: never mind, thanks 14 pokies! I heard of subfasca and metallica also being on the calm side, that's why I asked hehehe

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 10:16 PM ----------

P. Subfusca highland is pretty nice looking, they're the coolest looking poeic IMO

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Are P. Regalis the only poeics on the calm side? Or are there others as well?

Edit: never mind, thanks 14 pokies! I heard of subfasca and metallica also being on the calms side, that's why I asked hehehe

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 10:16 PM ----------

P. Subfusca highland is pretty nice looking, they're the coolest looking poeic IMO
The calmest are subfusca and miranda imo... Regalis can spazz during rehouses if provoked and sometimes gets really excited at dinner time...I have ended up with a few doing donuts outside there enclosures when I open the lid for feeding...
Metallica seems to be reluctant to threat but is so light sensitive that if you take them out of there hide or lift it up with the lights on they sometimes freak and literally run blindly around like a headless chicken...

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
I'm probably going to get a ton of heat for this but if you have worked with a few psalmos and taps for a while.. I would say one of the easier going pokies... Miranda,subfusca,subfusca (barra), formosa,metallica or regalis...
I actually totally agree. I think poecs have good dispositions for the most part. An AF p fasciata was actually my first OW. Shes been great. Very calm.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I actually totally agree. I think poecs have good dispositions for the most part. An AF p fasciata was actually my first OW. Shes been great. Very calm.
Ya fasciata isn't too bad.(very pretty too) The hardest to handle is striata..vitatta can be a handful too...
In general though I think pokies are way easier to handle than most OW arboreals.

gobey

Arachnoknight
The calmest are subfusca and miranda imo... Regalis can spazz during rehouses if provoked and sometimes gets really excited at dinner time...I have ended up with a few doing donuts outside there enclosures when I open the lid for feeding...
Metallica seems to be reluctant to threat but is so light sensitive that if you take them out of there hide or lift it up with the lights on they sometimes freak and literally run blindly around like a headless chicken...
My regalis love doing donuts.

They definitely spaz. But when they're done they go right in their hides and don't bother you.

OR. What's both cool and unnerving at once is when they play camouflage and just stay still on the cork bark when you're messing with the enclosures.

That's when I decide to wait until later to do any maintenance. But instead get a good look at them while they're not being shy.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I have seen some rehousing videos on youtube of Pp. Metallica, they are supper skittish when light hits the enclosure..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
My regalis love doing donuts.

They definitely spaz. But when they're done they go right in their hides and don't bother you.

OR. What's both cool and unnerving at once is when they play camouflage and just stay still on the cork bark when you're messing with the enclosures.

That's when I decide to wait until later to do any maintenance. But instead get a good look at them while they're not being shy.
I like it much better when they freak and hide! When they go tiger In the grass I get my fingers out of there!

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
Ya fasciata isn't too bad.(very pretty too) The hardest to handle is striata..vitatta can be a handful too...
In general though I think pokies are way easier to handle than most OW arboreals.
Nope. Very hidey. I've heard striata will give you attitude as well but theyd still prefer to flee. I only have poecs as OW arboreals so I wouldnt know but I've heard things lol.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have seen some rehousing videos on youtube of Pp. Metallica, they are supper skittish when light hits the enclosure..
Ornata can be like that too but they will sometimes throw popshots if your close to them when they freak metallica just wants to hide..

---------- Post added 03-07-2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

Nope. Very hidey. I've heard striata will give you attitude as well but theyd still prefer to flee. I only have poecs as OW arboreals so I wouldnt know but I've heard things lol.
Ya they are fast! I had a 3in sling doing laps on me a week ago while changing its water... Lol!
Its a good thing it didn't want to bite cuz there was no way I could of stopped it!

gobey

Arachnoknight
I like it much better when they freak and hide! When they go tiger In the grass I get my fingers out of there!

Oh yeah I'd never mess with them unless they retreat. It's hust neat to see how sometimes they decide not to.

Lid never opens until they're in the hidey hole!