User Hydrazine's Spider Stooges

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, crappy pics incoming - the lighting is bad, the borrowed camera not good and my photographing skills mediocre at best.

Here's Shiro - my G. pulchra sling about two centimeters old. A healthy eater, cute and calm yet quite active. I need to get better pics!

Little Ozzy - 1cm A.geniculata. So tiny! Does enjoy a nice drumstick, though.

Here's my B. smithi girl, I'd guesstimate 5cm DLS. Have yet to name her.
Shy and skittish, but getting better

Got a little less shy today and posed on top of her hide.

She's a model!

Tried different lighting, didn't go so well.

She deserves a better photographer than me.

Just a link, best ventral shot I could get. Looks female enough?
http://i49.tinypic.com/i6d17k.jpg

Too bad I don't have any good or at least mediocre shots of my little devil, Taz (A.versicolor) - it's too "hyper" for my comfort and we need to get used to each other and feel comfy enough to let it roam a bit, shots through its cup(plastic jar?) are just horrible, either blurry or light reflecting.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Take a picture of your B.Smithi after she molts which looks like it will be soon. Her colors will be vibrant then. Thanks for sharing! :photogenic:

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Nice T's and pics, my B,smithi is only .75" with just a tiny bit of colour, can't wate till my little one grows.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Take a picture of your B.Smithi after she molts which looks like it will be soon. Her colors will be vibrant then. Thanks for sharing! :photogenic:
I certainly hope so. I thought the butt wasn't dark enough to hope for premoult, though.

Nice T's and pics, my B,smithi is only .75" with just a tiny bit of colour, can't wate till my little one grows.
Originally, I wanted an even tinier smithi than yours, but was convinced that a juvie of such longlived, slow growing T would be better, especially a female. (The breeder sexed it, from what info I gathered he can be trusted about sexing but I still want to confirm with my own eyes so I can't wait for moult indeed.)

I love this! :)
Nice collection you have started there!
Thanks :) After reading the boards, I figured time isn't really a good measure of T's age, so I'm sticking with this.

Akai

Arachnobaron
It looks like early stages of pre-molt. The colors from the pictures look quite dull. Even with the flash. B.Smithi's have nice stark colors.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks like early stages of pre-molt. The colors from the pictures look quite dull. Even with the flash. B.Smithi's have nice stark colors.
She backed away from a cricket and kicked hairs when I tried to feed, this might suggest an early premoult. She's definitely not lethargic or hiding inside yet.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She backed away from a cricket and kicked hairs when I tried to feed, this might suggest an early premoult. She's definitely not lethargic or hiding inside yet.
Could be just full, too. She looks well-fed for sure ;)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The long feared hour has come: Feeding my A.versi, Taz the Escapist.

Tried to relax a bit like Storm said and let it stroll around a bit, took the occassion to take a couple pics. Taz has been a complete sweetie, walking around on its jar(cup?) as gracefiully as possible, only ran around a bit when my brother spooked it - but right in/onto a catchcup I had ready. Didn't even protest much when I gently directed it back to the enclosure. However, when being offered a cricket, it turned into a lightning fast little devil I named it after! I expected fast but it honestly surprised me. And it's strong! I clearly felt the pull on the tongs.

Sitting on the leaf now, munching peacefully. Everything went better than expected.

Oh, right, forgot. Pics.

On the outer side of jar

Walking around like a sir (or a lady?)

On the side of a catchcup. B.smithi enclosure in background, as well as on the previous pic.

It's so cute!
(and that's coming from a guy who cares little about cuteness..normally)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Feeding time today! Mealworms this time, I'm out of suitable size crickets.

As usual, Adéla, my B.smithi, just backed away from the food. Not that she needs to eat anyway..she's fat. At least this time there was no hair kicking.

Ozzy (A.geniculata) shied away into his trench as usual, I expect it to get the mealworm a few hours later like in previous cases.
G.pulchra that I call Shiro is a healthy eater, quick on prey as usual, yet gentle and graceful - finally got some decent pics of him/her, nice with clearly visible mirror patch.

munch munch munch

Side view

Then came the moment I dreaded the most - the Avicularia Rodeo.
For safety, I did this one on my bed. Glad I took that precaution - (s)he wasn't interested in food but ran onto my tweezers and onto my arm! It was surprisingly calm there. Put it in the catch cup and did the maintenance at least - removing her mess and misting a bit. Sadly I couldn't avoid wrecking the web again by simply opening the jar :( (s)he must hate me for the webs..now it sits on the fake leaf, grooming menacingly.

On the back of my hand, for comparison 7-8 cm in width (yes, I have small hands and thin arms)
Yes, the third left leg looks a bit weird but it's just the angle, it's lifted towards the cam

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Glad to hear you're getting more confident about yourself and that little versi! It's really not a big deal if they do run out (although, like mentioned in the other thread, none of mine ever "ran" out - if at all, they just walk a little on the rim)! ;)

On a sidenote, I had rehoused some juvies a few days ago and one of them was the juvie A. versi you might have noticed. In that new enclosure, she had the (somewhat annoying) habit of webbing right under the lid, closing the jar respectively and making it impossible for me to do maintenance. Well, needless to say I had to destroy the webbing - three times. After that, she obviously got the hint and now made a tubeweb behind the corkbark, sitting in there comfy and all well. What I mean by that is simply that it COULD happen, your Avic decides it's not worth building there again and again knowing her work will only be destroyed again.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I panicked a bit at first but we both survived :laugh:

And yes, usually it just walks on rim, but last time brother spooked it accidentally and this time it became extremely interested in my tweezers.

Last edited:

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think I'll ever get tired of photographing my versi..

Refused food though, it worries me a little cause (s)he doesn't look like in premoult and avics are healthy eaters from what information I gathered.
Maybe it just doesn't like mealworms?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, that T looks healthy. If it refuses food, just try again in a week. If it still refuses the mealworm, try cricket (parts/prekilled or whatnot) maybe. Some are picky. Looks cute ;)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Best shot I could get of freshly moulted Ozzy. Didn't wanna disturb it by opening the lid.

Is it just me or is Shiro's butt darkening?