HELP: Theraphosa Stirmi Noob

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
Don't need to be flamed just need help

I realize this is not the species I should have gotten as my first T. With that being said I can say this. I have followed instructions down to the T about caring for her. Cage is always at 78 degrees and humidity above 70%

Anyway I'm worried about her... When I first got her for about the first 2 weeks she was pretty active ( coming out at night wandering around) but now she has pretty much set up shop inside her hide, the only reason I know she is alive most days is because she is in a different position in her hide.

Now is this normal for her?

I am some what worried because she used to be so active and aggressive (Stridulation, when I poke around and very defensive) and a voracious eater. Now heres where I noticed a difference. I fed her a small mouse after she consumed it I noticed her abdomen is about 1.5 times or larger than her carapace, so I havent wanted to feed her more. Since then she has become super lethargic, never leaving her hide. This started about 3 weeks ago. I figured maybe she was going into molt but now im not sure. Am i doing something wrong or is this the temperament of this species? Im worried to keep feeding her because i dont want problems to come up when she molts? Is this normal? should I keep feeding? What do i DO?

MrDave

Arachnosquire
I'm guessing you don't have anything to worry about, but if you post some pics of your setup you'll probably get some good advice from people on this board.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Theraphosa care is simple: moist substrate (never soggy), good cross ventilation, a clean full water bowl at all times, and plenty of food. Pics of your spider and set up will help.

Nicolas C

Arachnosquire
+1 to what Poec54 said, exactly!

If yours seems comfortable in its hide, that's very fine. Comfortable Theraphosa are not so active, you know. They can spend a lot of time quietly in their hide, almost not moving at all.

About feeding: lots of people feed these too much (because they are so big), which could maybe results in molting problems. If you fed with a small mouse, that's a big meal for a T, it seems normal to me that it's resting now. Probably preparing a molt (pictures could help, as being said). I feed mine one big cockroach twice a month, sometimes once a week, but not more, and I've never had problems: mine stay fit and could compete in a zumba contest. Well, almost.

Most of the time, a Theraphosa which prepare a molt will spread its urticating hairs around to protect itself against intruders. You'll notice the bald abdomen or some fluffy stuff on it (which is the hairs about to fall).

tbrandt

Arachnosquire
Along with some pictures - approximately how big is she?

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replys, I will try to get a decent pic of her soon without disturbing her too much. The first pic, is shortly after I got her, the last 2 is a couple days after she finished her mouse(Jan 22) . I dont want to over feed her because, I do see this too much on youtube, and I dont want her to have any molting problems IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0826.JPG

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
She is around 6-7 inches I believe. Also how long can I comfortable go without feeding her? I feel bad not feeding her but I don't want her to have molting problems

Cjhickey12

Arachnopeon
I fed her 1 mouse. Im not sure I would feed her another. Just did it to add some variation and the crickets seemed tiny

Cliffpuncher

Arachnopeon
Were I you, I'd probably go for roaches. As long as the prey you're feeding her isn't larger than her abdomen, you should be okay. Feeding her often also shouldn't be an issue--they experience fasts in the wild fairly commonly. Some people feed their spiders once a month, and they get along fine.

People get worried about feeding mice regularly to their larger species because they believe it can cause difficulty in molting, but there's no conclusive evidence for that.
Here's an article on feeding your tarantulas mice: Calcium Molt Myth

As far as her lack of defensive/aggressive behavior and roaming, that sounds like a good thing. She's settled in!

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
basically feeding a spider a mouse is like a feast for them. in the wild they run the risk of being food for larger animals waiting out in the open hoping food to walk by. so coming across a bounty like that they have no need to be coming out and risking themself when they can live off what the mouse gave them for a while (months). so most likely she not coming out for a while like she did when you first got her. also a good chance that tip her over and most likely she will be going into premolt as well. so I won't be surprise if she stay in their until she molts, (which given her size could be a few months from now so buckle up)

skippydude

Arachnobaron
These things can be a bit of a pet rock, so your T is acting normal. There is darkening on the abdomen, indicating it is in pre-molt and why it has no appetite.

You're doing fine, nothing to worry about ;)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Definitely not a good first tarantula, but you're not doing anything wrong yet. As stated, mice or small lizards are pretty rich meals for Ts. There is also nothing wrong with feeding your T those things, despite some people arguing over morals. The calcium debate is still being had, but I think it's nearly debunked or completely debunked. I don't pay much attention to it as I don't feed anything but crickets.

And yes, looks like it could be in pre-molt so that would explain why it's taken to hiding. For future Ts though, there is a settling period. Where they'll be out and about when placed in a new home, then slowly they settle into routines. Some like to hide, and some like to wander around. Depends on the species and the individual T.

Pretty girl, but she'll be even more stunning when she's molted!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well, yes. Don't they have little pink patellas right after a molt too? Or is that blondi?
Easy to tell apart as slings (pre/post molt not a factor):

apophysis - 8 pink tarsi
stirmi - front 4 tarsi pink
blondi - all tarsi dark

They outgrow the pink tarsi at 4-5".

I got some stirmi slings a few months ago. They were 1 1/4" at 2nd instar, and are now 2" at third instar. Big babies.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Easy to tell apart as slings (pre/post molt not a factor):

apophysis - 8 pink tarsi
stirmi - front 4 tarsi pink
blondi - all tarsi dark

They outgrow the pink tarsi at 4-5".

I got some stirmi slings a few months ago. They were 1 1/4" at 2nd instar, and are now 2" at third instar. Big babies.
I thought so, though I didn't know the correct anatomical terminology.

I really haven't been interested in stirmi this entire time, but they're starting to pique my interest as of late. I'd really like to get my hands on an apophysis though. (not literally, of course...)

Their size really is impressive.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I thought so, though I didn't know the correct anatomical terminology.

I really haven't been interested in stirmi this entire time, but they're starting to pique my interest as of late. I'd really like to get my hands on an apophysis though. (not literally, of course...)

Their size really is impressive.
Apophysis is leggier, and the body a little smaller. Adult males are purple like Pamphos and have tibial spurs (the other two don't). Stirmi and blondi are the robust ones. Of the three, stirmi is much hardier in captivity, and because they're still coming in from the wild, prices are less than the other two (which are also more difficult to breed). Theraphosa have the worst hairs of any tarantula, and I've heard from a few owners that apophysis is the worst of all. If you like big terrestrials, you might want to pick up a couple stirmi slings (someone's advertising them in the classifieds).

Patella are their knees.