Sick A. Avicularia

CreepyCritter

Arachnopeon
Before anyone asks, I skimmed over some of the older posts and didn't see anything related to my particular problem.

I have an A. Avic who has recently started displaying signs of illness and or too much stress and I need help. I'm new to the hobby, have only three T's,
but have done my research on how to care for them. That being said, I'm totally stumped on what I'm doing wrong.

I got this Avic about nine months ago as a juvenile and it has molted three times since I've had it. It is currently being kept in a 1 gallon container with Eco-earth substrate and moss.

I spray once every other week or when needed to keep the humidity up. The room where it is kept is at a steady 74-80 degrees. The T is fed 3-4
large crickets per week.

Now here is the problem. It just molted no more than 6 weeks ago and has stopped eating. Immediately after molting I noticed it had a small bald spot on the
top of its a abdomen. The bald spot looked more like a spot of dried and smeared goop than a technical bald spot. Anyway, the balding has spread
to the point that now there is numerous bald spots. The webbing on the inside of the enclosure is covered in hairs and the T has stopped eating. The T is clearly
distressed, but from what I have no idea. All of my T's enclosures are on a shelf in my closet where it tends to be low light with little activity to bother them.

I might also add that the webbing seems different than usual. It is very thick and covers the entirety of the enclosure with no tunnels funneling into the lower
portion of the enclosure, much like a molt web, but it has recently molted. You can tell from the picture that shortly after it molted it ripped out all the old webbing
and started to build a fresh web.

Could my T be in pre-molt already? Is it stressed? Sick perhaps? Or is it just one of those things that Avics do?

Your help would be appreciated. I would hate for my T to die. Thanks.

10424261_437560863068327_8736603377648713598_n.jpg

11037329_437560393068374_7411474524570306429_n.jpg

10995711_437560876401659_172544613526328774_n.jpg

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Everything seems normal, no worries. welcome to Avic keeping.

P.s. it looks fat so I wouldn't worry about the feeding.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'd put another couple rows of airholes in. What you have now isn't enough to begin with, and a lot are webbed over. Maybe part of the issue is stuffy, stale air.

Last edited:

brezo

Arachnosquire
Needs more ventilation, make more holes. Couple more rows should do the trick like Poec54 said,(like 4 or 5). Make 3 above sub, and 2 more above the one you already made and make some holes in the top of the jar as well.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's no Avicularia avicularia, that's what we call an Avicularia metallica. I agree with CEC, looks like she's in premolt.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sounds like its cage is too stuffy/moist, I had an avic become very sluggish and did not want to eat. After I added another row of holes and let the cage dry out it perked back up. I'm not sure about premolt though, seeing the "flesh" on the abdomen it's still rather light. For your cage you should add about 2-3 rows of holes at different heights, that should get the air flow you need without destroying the microclimate. Though avics in general are a little weird but I think this is an easy solution.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That metallica looks super dull. I've had arboreals molt when their flesh was still light. It could possibly be stale air, but dry climates like ours is different. I've soaked enclosures and not had one death. I loses spiderlings to very low humidity.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That metallica looks super dull. I've had arboreals molt when their flesh was still light. It could possibly be stale air, but dry climates like ours is different. I've soaked enclosures and not had one death. I loses spiderlings to very low humidity.
True, cage humidity will vary depending on your climate, but there's just not enough airflow in that cage for an arboreal that size.

cold blood

Staff member
Poec, weren't we just talking about watching for the airholes getting webbed up? Gotta watch that, its definitely under-ventilated at this point.

Don't mist, use a water dish for keeping humidity up (as you have), tha't all that's really needed for humidity, too many people focus on humidity to the Avic's detriment.....just dribble a little water on the webbing weekly for drinking....misting, especially an under-ventilated enclosure is a sure fire way to cause issues with your avic.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Poec, weren't we just talking about watching for the airholes getting webbed up? Gotta watch that, its definitely under-ventilated at this point.

Don't mist, use a water dish for keeping humidity up (as you have), tha't all that's really needed for humidity, too many people focus on humidity to the Avic's detriment.....just dribble a little water on the webbing weekly for drinking....misting, especially an under-ventilated enclosure is a sure fire way to cause issues with your avic.
Yeah, perfect example of webbed up airholes. It's not getting much fresh air, no wonder it's slowed down. Misting in that cage would be a huge mistake, as it will add to the stuffiness.

CreepyCritter

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone for the advice. Today I added more air holes at different levels like suggested. Hope this helps. I'm also not surprised to find out my T is an A. metallica.
When I bought it, it was sold to me as an A. avicularia.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks everyone for the advice. Today I added more air holes at different levels like suggested. Hope this helps. I'm also not surprised to find out my T is an A. metallica.
When I bought it, it was sold to me as an A. avicularia.

Both species are coming in from the wild, and importers/dealers often can't tell them apart.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Many hobbyist can't tell the difference. I enjoy helping hobbyists with Avicularia . :)

Last edited:

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Never mist to keep humidity up, it doesn't have long lasting effects.. add a water bowl, with water.. no gel, no sponges, they can't drown.. mist the webbing LIGHTLY aprox once a week for drinking purposes...

CreepyCritter

Arachnopeon
I just want to thank everyone for their advice. My A. metallica seems to be doing a lot better now. I managed to get a better shot of the odd smeared
looking spot I mentioned in my initial post. It appeared after its last molt and still hasn't disappeared. It's the brown spot in the middle of the picture. Does anyone have a clue what it is?

11054287_439829119508168_4991096187669111538_n.jpg

11070237_439829092841504_786002569616197697_n.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
That looks fine from what I can tell, many tarantulas get what you could call a "crusty butt" near where their urticating hairs are. Mainly I see terrestrials with it but the picture doesn't seem to reveal anything alarming to me. Maybe it could be a slight wound but just feed the spider and don't stress it too much until the next molt

cold blood

Staff member
Creepy, that just looks like a small piece of exo that failed to come off during the last molt....and based on its location, won't pose any issues for the t.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a rare case of urticating encephalopathy, wow

I wonder what I typed above means ;)