rubbermaid heat?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how other than a light can you keep a rubbermaid container warm? i would think those under tank heaters would melt right? lights would be ok but you cant leave a light on 24/7....

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my T.s in the basement and I bought a small ceramic heater and I put that on when the basement gets cool...it heats the room....I keep all my T.s at room temps...the heater was cheap as well, only around $35.00 dollars...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my juv e.murinus warm in a shoebox sized plastic tub, and heat it with one of those heating pads made for sore muscles etc. I just place it on the lid ( on TOP not UNDER the tub ), and cover most of the tub with a dark cloth ( pillowcase ). This allows me to keep the tank in the low - mid 70's in winter ( my room is a little cooler in winter ), and above 80 in summer. Placing the pad over many of the airholes ( which are on the lid ) lets me restrict ventilation enough to maintain humidity/ moisture year round.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok cool ideas, i have a "show off" container i bought from work (family dollar) it comes with a snap lid and is made by sterilite. it cost me 4$ for the container and another 3$ for glue and bulk door screen, i cut the top off and laid screen so for 7$ i have a 5gallon spider palace. i have a under tank heater and think i may use it if i can find a peice of glass for the bottom of the tank. the spider going in this is arboreal so under wont hurt it.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you can get a hot rock from zoo med for $15 or if your in a bine you can use a fish tank eater(with a rag around it, or something that the eater would not burn) for $10.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hot rocks are not recomended for spiders....usually room temps are fine...unless you get down around the low 60's....try a small space heater or ceramic heater.....

Regards, Mike

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
Hot rocks are not recomended for spiders....usually room temps are fine...unless you get down around the low 60's....try a small space heater or ceramic heater.....

Regards, Mike
i keep hot rocks in all my spider tanks and have no porblems.
ps- the not recomended for spiders bit is a matter of opion and experence.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Actually, hot rocks aren't recommended for anything. They just get too damn hot. If a person insists on using one, they should hook it up to a rheostat.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LPacker79 said:
Actually, hot rocks aren't recommended for anything. They just get too damn hot. If a person insists on using one, they should hook it up to a rheostat.
i don't want to argue with you but i have hot rocks in all my spider tanks and they don't get that hot. do you have one? what is the brand name?

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
i don't want to argue with you but i have hot rocks in all my spider tanks and they don't get that hot. do you have one? what is the brand name?
I don't have one because everything I read and in every forum people are warned against using them, because they get so hot. There are so many accounts and pictures of animals getting burned on them that I wouldn't risk using one. They've been documented to reach well over 100 degrees. I'll stick with heat pads, heat tape, and radiant heat panels for my two snakes (the only animals I have heated). Always with a rheostat of course.

But, if it's working for you then that's fine. Might wanna measure the temperature on them just in case though.

eksong

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know about tarantulas but I do see dried up skinks simmering on hot rocks at the Petco here in San Francisco.

You could also consider 4" flex watt or other type of low powered heat tape to place underneath. Of course, a rheostat or thermostat is always necessary.

Last edited:

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
when i first started in this hobby i would spend too much money on lamps and red lights and heat mats. now, after almost 2 years i havent used anything to heat them, room temp is fine. i only use the lamps to dry out tanks and substrate. even in the summer, i put the AC on in my room, low and its near my bed, but i have never lost an invert due to lack of heat.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Heat rocks are usually not reccomended. :)

Risky things could dry up/fry your T.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i use a fish tank light with 2 25 watt lights in it during the day, and at night i use one of zoo meds heat pads its the med size one, but the i have a weird tank..its two ten gallons on top of each other the top tank has no bottom...my spiders love it lots of room (theres 2 avics in it) the tank stays at no less than 67 and no more than 82...