Drilling Holes Into Glass?

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
So I've got two rapidly growing arboreal slings (P. irminia, P. regalis) and recently bought two tall glass enclosures that should easily accommodate them for the next year or two. There is currently no cross-ventilation in the enclosure - it's solid glass on all four sides. It is not an exoterra.

I'd like to get some holes drilled around the top of each enclosure however I have no experience drilling through glass...I've heard putting duct tape on the glass and drilling through the tape can reduce the likelihood of pressure cracks, but I'd prefer not to have to learn through trial-and-error here :)

I'd like to hear how you DIYers out there successfully drill holes into your glass enclosures...tricks, tips, techniques, etc.

Thanks!!

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
There are plenty of good videos on youTube about this.

I had to learn by trial and error and you might still too. The fact that the it's not flat glass you can place on a solid surface makes it more difficult than normal.

1. Buy a decent glass drill bit(s). You might need to drill a pilot hole first.
2. Ensure you have a drill that has multi speed function
3. Submerge the enclosure in water, with the end you want to drill just under the surface. (Helps with heat dispersion)
4. Tape the area you are drilling(if you feel like it)
5. Drill slowly when you start and when you near the end(you will know you near the end when the sound changes)
6. Do not apply too much pressure when drilling-this is the tough part-especially when you consider the object and amount of holes needed.
7. Do this on a day when you patience is at it's best.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'll add to BossRoss a couple of things. You aren't drilling, you're cutting with a abrasives. If the cutting head binds for any reason, the glass breaks. If the temperature varies too drastically the glass breaks; hence the water submersion. Last and most important, you cannot drill old glass. Figure more than a year old it gets much dicier. It's all but impossible with glass more than 2 or 3 years old. The older, the more brittle. The same applies with cutting glass. The older, the more likely to break.

Last edited:

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I've seen the use of putty or wax, in a circle around the area to be drilled. You can fill the putty/wax circle with water or oil, and change it frequently. I've also seen videos where people have a garden hose over their shoulder, and drill in their backyard. The flow of water removes any excess glass, keeps it cool. From what I've heard, method #2 would allow you to go a bit faster, but you'll want to have the technique down first anyway.

Didn't consider age of glass, that'll be tougher to meter.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Patience is most definitely the key. There are tricks of which some are better than others. I agree that the bits are important.

Now, if you cant stand to lose or break anything in this project RolliePollie has a point. If the glass enclosures are new enough that you can return them, it is a choice.

If you have a glass shop in your area. You may be able to get someone else to do the hard part for you. In this case dependent on what you have to work with. A few larger holes that round soffit vents fit into might work well. The vents come in sizes from 1 to 6 inches I believe and could be installed with aquarium silicone.

JAG2469

Eight Legged Freak
P1010915.JPG i have cored hundreds of fish tanks go slow slow slow keep it wet/cool with water only you can use plumbers putty to make a dam to holed water cut slow!!! if you are from boston area i can do it for you that is a 180 gal. tank i hat to use runing water to cool it was to tall for me to stand on its end

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
There are plenty of good videos on youTube about this.

I had to learn by trial and error and you might still too. The fact that the it's not flat glass you can place on a solid surface makes it more difficult than normal.

1. Buy a decent glass drill bit(s). You might need to drill a pilot hole first.
2. Ensure you have a drill that has multi speed function
3. Submerge the enclosure in water, with the end you want to drill just under the surface. (Helps with heat dispersion)
4. Tape the area you are drilling(if you feel like it)
5. Drill slowly when you start and when you near the end(you will know you near the end when the sound changes)
6. Do not apply too much pressure when drilling-this is the tough part-especially when you consider the object and amount of holes needed.
7. Do this on a day when you patience is at it's best.

This! So much of this! I would also add buying a small piece of glass and testing your setup and drill bit on the piece first. Just so you can get a hang of it and see how the bit cuts and what speeds bring you best results on your drill.

Good luck!