H. arizonensis enclosure development

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
I thought I would log the development of my H. arizonensis' enclosure. It is a 30 Gal high glass aquarium. To get it started, I've used one 50lb bag of play sand and one 10lb bag of excavator clay. I've mixed it while dry in a large bucket, and am storing it there until needed for use, at which time I remove the amount needed to a separate bucket and mix it with water until moist enough to retain its shape if squeezed in my fist and then add it to the tank.

I am laying down one small section at a time, about an inch, inch and a half deep, and letting it dry using some commercial lights and a heat lamp to help out. It will probably take 48 - 72 hours to dry, repeating the process until the tank is finished. In the middle I've placed a small piece of Plexi glass to prevent the critter from tunneling into the Void never to be seen again...
I will add another same sized piece at the end of the one in now to form a "T" shape.
The tall piece of PVC pipe in the corner is standing in a small mound of cocoa peat fiber, covered in the clay/sand substrate, to provide an easy method of hydration via pouring in a small amount of water, which will hopefully moisten only the section the pipe is in, once every month and a half or so.

At the front of the tank is a long piece of cork bark it might want to burrow into and it's placed against the glass to enable easy viewing if she does decide to use it.

At finish, I hope to have at least 10 inches of substrate on the perimeters of the tank, sloping down in the middle to a depth of about 6 inches. I plan on adding more places to burrow, some desert scrubs/plants, some rock formations, and maybe a dusting of Red or Orange or Desert Tan Reptisand to the depth of a half inch or so over the top. We'll see what happens as I go along :)

Photos of development are included and will be updated. Any advice or guidance is appreciated. Special thanks to "Shebeen" for his infinite patience and kindness. Apologies in advance to the Moderators if I err in any way.

Kelly

ha2015.jpg

Ha adult female in her temp KK.

30g.jpg

The beginning of her permanent home.

Last edited:

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Hatank1.jpg

Hatank2.jpg

Hatank3.jpg

Okay,

Update time...

The substrate was hardening as if it were concrete and so I added some more water, one brick of cocoa fiber, and mixed the rest of the play sand and excavator clay together in the tank itself. So, the recipe that seems to be drying into a hard substance but not so hard as to be un-diggable for her is this: 1 10 lb bag of excavator clay, 1 50 lb bag of play sand, and 1 brick of compressed cocoa fiber. It is drying well and I was able to form (around the cork bark hide) a conical shaped mound with the beginnings of a burrow in it, carried it across the side, and sloped it down to the middle. In the opposite corner I buried a PVC pipe joint so as to have a place to put a small water receptacle (plan on offering water overnight for one night per month) and not have it knocked over, and when that is not in the tank I will have a small potted cactus in the pipe's opening) I plan on arranging the other side of the tank to a similar depth of substrate with some Excavator Clay formations for it to climb on. I do't plan on using the play sand mix for those, just the clay. I will leave the center of the tank at only 4 or so inches of reptisand with some rocks and desert plants. It's taking a while for the drying process, but better safe than sorry

High Lord Dee

Arachnosquire
Enclosure looks awesome! You are really putting a lot of thought into that. That is one spoiled Desert Hairy!

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Enclosure looks awesome! You are really putting a lot of thought into that. That is one spoiled Desert Hairy!
X2

You really do a great job setting up your scorpions tanks ! I have far too many of them to put this kind of detail to my tanks but you deserve a pat on the back for it !!!!