Ballot Box Enclosure

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
For anyone interested in very sturdy acrylic cage alternatives, I'm testing out using acrylic ballot boxes that i've drilled holes in.

31SKZHVYhcL.jpg

20150321_095709.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0G5RVS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They can be a little pricey as you get into the larger sizes (12x12x12 are around $50), but if you can find them wholesale or get free prime shipping, etc. then they definitely seem to be worth it.

Simply make sure that you have practiced or know how to drill holes in acrylic as chipping can occur quite easily. Sure they come with a nicely sized slot already but that is by no means big enough for proper ventilation.

Just thought I'd share this if anyone else wanted to give it a go as well!

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Very cool concept! I like it! Might have to try this at some point. Probably couldn't use much humidity in it, though, huh?

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
You are correct, humidity is hard to keep, but I like the increased ventilation. I mist it almost every other day with this little monster. Its a t. stirmi though and definitely needs it.

The one thing I forgot to mention about these is how hard the lid closes...because of the metal lock's weight it'll crash closed, so either open it all the way so it extends out or place something in the hinge to stop it from slamming closed and possibly accidentally hitting the Tarantula.

My other concern that I'll have to report back on is if the metal lock rusts with the humidity I'll be keeping. Don't know if that may harm the T.

---------- Post added 03-21-2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

I love your post as well raggamuffin! I agree, once you have the tools and know how, building one yourself can be fun and rewarding both financially and spiritually. The enclosure directly to the right of the ballot box that you can barely see i hand built with polycarbonate sheets, anything bigger than this 8x8x8 ballot box I'll probably build myself.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Would humidity warp the lid like the stories I've heard about typical acrylic? Or is the metal atop the lid enough to anchor it with little warping to consider?

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
The metal probably won't stop a little warping from occurring, but this thing has thick acrylic that "shouldn't" warp, about quarter inch. As well, I actually think that long slit on top will prevent warping as that is normally where the humidity is absorbed the most and starts bowing. Definitely recommend never using acrylic on fish tanks though.

I would still recommend polycarbonate when designing your own enclosures. It doesn't warp and you can jack hammer holes into it without cracking. I just liked the convenience of this idea.

Ripa

Arachnobaron
The metal probably won't stop a little warping from occurring, but this thing has thick acrylic that "shouldn't" warp, about quarter inch. As well, I actually think that long slit on top will prevent warping as that is normally where the humidity is absorbed the most and starts bowing. Definitely recommend never using acrylic on fish tanks though.

I would still recommend polycarbonate when designing your own enclosures. It doesn't warp and you can jack hammer holes into it without cracking. I just liked the convenience of this idea.
I do too! I just question because I want a reasonably nice viewing enclosure for my centipedes (which this idea appears to demonstrate, which is why it sparks my curiosity), but it's hard to accomplish that with their escape antics tied with the humidity affecting the enclosure's structural integrity (I want to be able to have an unobstructed view of them strolling around at night when I'm working haha).

Either way, even if I can't find a way to modify it for pedes, I still might use something like this for some of my arachnid pets instead of cheap Tupperware. My vinegaroon loves to take midnight strolls and I'd love to have a clearer viewing of it while I'm painstakingly burning the midnight oil on college assignments and studies.

Last edited:

scott308

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can you use these for arboreal T's? How big is the slot, I'm just thinking of escape artists.

Last edited:

ZBB466

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't use these for arboreal tarantulas. the bolt did end up rusting anf the lid bows a lot with my t.stirmi. Would recommend for desert terrestrial Ts though

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Those look like they make nice enclosures! I like that they can be locked as well. It's too bad that they are pricey. I can only afford the cheap stuff at the moment.