Unknowingly bought OW???

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
So, here I am at a shop, looking at their variety of tarantulas. I asked for a GBB and Golden Knee, the guy went to the back and brought out two tarantulas. One was marked C. Cyan and the other Chaco Gold. Clearly, there were ts in the little vials but I didn't bother to actually look at them and they were nice and cozy in there so, it was hard to see them. However, when I got home, I was putting them each in a temp tank to make it easier for me to get them in their new homes. (I know that isn't advised but the vials were too small and I didn't want to poke at the new additions and upset them more than they already were so, I just set their vials down in the temp and they eventually walked out). While doing this, I noticed something obviously wasn't right. These are the ts I got.. uploadfromtaptalk1427071025887.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1427071104088.jpg
So, I'm not sure what the first one is but the second is clearly a P. subfusca. I couldn't get very good photos because they were faster than me and I was in total shock. Mentally and physically freaking out.
Can someone help me identify the first? It has a little bump in it's back which leads me to believe it's some sort of horned t but like I said, I'm unsure.
I put them both back into the vials they came in because I don't have the proper set up for either of them as I was expecting a GBB and Golden Knee.
I have all beginner ts, three G. Roseas, a B. Smithi, a B. Albo, and an A. Avic. I don't know how to care for these guys! Any advise would be absolutely fantastic!

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I would return those Ts and tell the LPS employee that he gave the wrong ones... g.roseas, b.smithis, b.albo and a.avic are not species that could possibly prep you for an OW, especially a poeic. Gbb would have been a great specie to advance, but I personally think you'll have your hands full with OWs now..

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
I would return those Ts and tell the LPS employee that he gave the wrong ones... g.roseas, b.smithis, b.albo and a.avic are not species that could possibly prep you for an OW, especially a poeic. Gbb would have been a great specie to advance, but I personally think you'll have your hands full with OWs now..
I really wish returning them was an option. I was taking a friend somewhere and the little shop caught my eye. Its four hours from where I live and I don't have that kind of time on my hands all the time nor will I have it any time soon.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Lolla -- isn't that what happened to you? Didn't you end up with a crash course sink-or-swim with pokies or something?
I thought of you when I saw this thread, and hoped you might advise.
(But I may have remembered wrong poster)

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
If you absolutely cannot return or give them to another EXPERIENCED hobbyists, know this: the Pokie is definitely fast and like lalberts said, you are just not ready. If keeping
them is unavoidable, the Pokie is an arboreal species meaning that it needs a tall enclosure. Sort of like your a. avic. anyways, I would hand it to someone else. If you are just a beginner, these you DEFINITELY do not want. Defensive, lightning fast and medically significant. Personally, I have no idea what the first one is as I am not good with OWs but
the second is definitely a Pokie.
Very unfortunate

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Just for the Ts safety, your safety, and the people living with you.. just gain a tad more experience before diving into OW. I personally think you are ready for NW tropical terrestrials and maybe some NW aboreal such as P. Cambridgei.. great bridging species that will prep you well for OW. You have enough experience under your belt with NW terrestrials to advance to NW tropical terrestrials, and NW aboreal such as a P. Cambridgei.. well in my book at least

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 03:00 AM ----------

I really wish returning them was an option. I was taking a friend somewhere and the little shop caught my eye. Its four hours from where I live and I don't have that kind of time on my hands all the time nor will I have it any time soon.
Next time you should really check the vials, some LPS employees just.. darn, they make me mad..

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 03:01 AM ----------

Lolla -- isn't that what happened to you? Didn't you end up with a crash course sink-or-swim with pokies or something?
I thought of you when I saw this thread, and hoped you might advise.
(But I may have remembered wrong poster)
Hahahaha nooooo no wasn't me, I had a P. Irminia for a first T yes?

I kept the T, all turned out well, but this ranges from individual to individual and I can take these kind of risks because I don't have children or friends living with me, just a husband that loves Ts as much as I do

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 03:03 AM ----------

I really don't know what to advice if you can't return/sell them

Last edited:

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
I live in a very small town. The local pet shop never has tarantulas and if I sold them to her, she'd probably kill them or lose them. As for giving them to someone with more experience, I know no one who could take them off my hands. Everyone I know squeals at the sight of a Roach and refuses to step foot in my house.
Would someone be able to help me out on how to properly care for them? I know absolutely nothing about OWs. This whole time I've been dreaming of slowly easing my way to getting a P. Metallica but never expected to get in OW in such a shitty way. My only option seems to be to keep them and try my best with them.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I hate to be 'that person' but something smells fishy. Perhaps something has gone rotten in the state of Denmark?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Another troll thread you mean?
Don't worry, I smell that to..
No. A newbie who wants the fast track but doesn't want to admit that she knowingly bought OWs so is passing it off as an accident to rid herself of the 'fire and brimstone' that comes to those who jump from rosies & avics to pokies and Ceratogyrus is what I'm suggesting.

I could be wrong, I've been wrong before. I'm just not sure how that pokie is obviously a subfusca. Pokies at that age generally look pretty similar, especially to an untrained eye or a newbie.

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
hmmm... Definitely possible but quite evil. But what do you mean in the state of denmark???

theconmacieist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No. A newbie who wants the fast track but doesn't want to admit that she knowingly bought OWs so is passing it off as an accident to rid herself of the 'fire and brimstone' that comes to those who jump from rosies & avics to pokies and Ceratogyrus is what I'm suggesting.
First thing that came to mind as well. It is sad having no faith in humanity...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Mentally and physically freaking out.
This is part of the proof that you are not ready. Advertise them on AB or tell your parents that you have highly venomous spiders and you need to return them to the pet store you bought them from. You realize these tarantulas can kill your pet rabbits, right?

My only option seems to be to keep them and try my best with them.
This is not your only option, and is probably the absolute worst option. Well no, I can think of worse options. Like killing them, or letting them loose in the backyard.

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
First one looks like some type of baboon. I'd sell them on here. This is def a sink or swim with cinder blocks on your ankles case.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince

I could be wrong, I've been wrong before. I'm just not sure how that pokie is obviously a subfusca. Pokies at that age generally look pretty similar, especially to an untrained eye or a newbie.
Yes well I already had a heated debate today, and for the sake of preventing me from suffering more haemorrhages I didn't make that.. well how can I put it.. darn it.. I didn't put that thought into comment.. lol

IHeartTs

Arachnobaron
This is part of the proof that you are not ready. Advertise them on AB or tell your parents that you have highly venomous spiders and you need to return them to the pet store you bought them from. You realize these tarantulas can kill your pet rabbits, right?

This is not your only option, and is probably the absolute worst option. Well no, I can think of worse options. Like killing them, or letting them loose in the backyard.
+100. They can be easily sold on here. OP, If that is subfusca you do realize husbandry for highland and lowland are different right?