Getting into true spiders and would like some advice.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I usually don't ask these questions (anymore that is) but since I don't have very much experience with true spiders I might as well. So my question is, what's the best beginner true spider? I'm pretty sure they're generally faster than tarantulas so I don't want to dive off the deep end.

Thanks,
Bryce.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The great thing about true spiders is that it's such a huge diverse group that they have just about anything for any keeper! In terms of speed, some are significantly faster than tarantulas (Sparassidae and Ctenidae can be lightning fast, as can some Lycosidae and Pisauridae), but many are slower as well.

A good beginner for you really depends on what characters you like in your spiders. So here a few questions you can ask yourself before diving into the ridiculously addictive true spiders. Do you want something active or secretive? Colorful or camouflaged? Builds a nice web or actively hunts for food (or ambushes)? Are you comfortable with high venom levels or do you want something harmless? What sort of habitat/biome do you like (desert, forest, scrubland, etc.)? How much space do you have for your spider? How fancy/natural/decorated do you want it's enclosure to be?

As a whole, I think a good beginner for anyone is a jumping spider (Salticidae). Members of the genus Phidippus can be fairly large, have nice color and are very active and curious. They also can take on food items as large as they are. Venom level is very low (if you can even get them to bite).

Right now, I'm keeping members of:
Ctenidae
Sparassidae
Theridiidae
Sicariidae
Salticidae
Pisauridae
Filistatidae
Oxyopidae

and have kept:
Lycosidae
Homalonychidae
Atypidae
Ctenizidae

Let me know if you have any specific questions about any groups! :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Jumping spiders are a nice start, they are very active, not very fiesty and are pretty dang cute. I am more of a fan of lycosids but they are faster than any tarantula and can be more sassy at times. Orb weavers are nice too but you have to provide the right cues to get them to spin a web. On that note your normal old house spider will work too, they make cobble webs very quickly, are slow, laid back, are used to dry conditions and live for years.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
The great thing about true spiders is that it's such a huge diverse group that they have just about anything for any keeper! In terms of speed, some are significantly faster than tarantulas (Sparassidae and Ctenidae can be lightning fast, as can some Lycosidae and Pisauridae), but many are slower as well.

A good beginner for you really depends on what characters you like in your spiders. So here a few questions you can ask yourself before diving into the ridiculously addictive true spiders. Do you want something active or secretive? Colorful or camouflaged? Builds a nice web or actively hunts for food (or ambushes)? Are you comfortable with high venom levels or do you want something harmless? What sort of habitat/biome do you like (desert, forest, scrubland, etc.)? How much space do you have for your spider? How fancy/natural/decorated do you want it's enclosure to be?

As a whole, I think a good beginner for anyone is a jumping spider (Salticidae). Members of the genus Phidippus can be fairly large, have nice color and are very active and curious. They also can take on food items as large as they are. Venom level is very low (if you can even get them to bite).

Right now, I'm keeping members of:
Ctenidae
Sparassidae
Theridiidae
Sicariidae
Salticidae
Pisauridae
Filistatidae
Oxyopidae

and have kept:
Lycosidae
Homalonychidae
Atypidae
Ctenizidae

Let me know if you have any specific questions about any groups! :)
I'm mainly interested in Pisauridae, Ctenidae, Sparrasidae, Lycosidae, Ctenizidae. I'm looking at getting Dolomedes okefinokensis, Heteropoda sp., and any Lycosidae. Are they deadly to humans? And are there any specific genera or species that I should look at other than the aforementioned ones?

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm mainly interested in Pisauridae, Ctenidae, Sparrasidae, Lycosidae, Ctenizidae. I'm looking at getting Dolomedes okefinokensis, Heteropoda sp., and any Lycosidae. Are they deadly to humans? And are there any specific genera or species that I should look at other than the aforementioned ones?
Those are some good groups, but expect to deal with some speed. D. okefinokensis, Heteropoda, and the lycosids are all harmless to humans. Anything in those groups make good starters as long as you're ready for some running. Dolomedes albineus makes a great pet, but they're a bit harder to get. Heteropoda is a great genus, so you'll be in for a treat if you get some of those. If you can find Arctosa littoralis, you'll have one of the most entertaining lycosids.

Last edited:

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Most true spiders are harmless to humans. Mainly Latrodectus,Atrax, Sicariidae and Phoneutria are(or can be) dangerous.
I have no experience on the larger Dolomedes spp., but my D.fimbriatus is a very fascinating specimen even if just under 2" in LS.
For a Ctenidae I recommend Cupiennius salei as a good starter. For Heteropoda, H.venatoria is easy to get hold of, cheap and hardy.

And like was hinted before.. People think tarantulas are addictive...:sarcasm:

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Just be careful with Heteropoda, because they can be faster than a speeding bullet and escape in the blink of an eye if you're not careful with the lid of the cage open. :wink:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Besides Ctenizidae all the rest are completely harmless. P.mira is my favorite spider personally and that family in general make great pets as they live longer than most local lycosids as they overwinter as juveniles and mate the following year.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When you think about it, some attention needs to be given to how much time a person wants to spend tending the animal. At one end of the spectrum would be most cobweb weavers - feed once every couple of weeks and no further attention required. The other end of the world is the active hunters. They need more feeding and with several species just getting the food in the enclosure can turn into a three ring circus. So thought should be given as to how much time you want to spend pampering.

My idea of the ultimate ideal spider was a friend who enclosed three rose bushes with fine screen with a couple of doors. He installed a couple of crab spiders and a couple of green lynxes. A butterfly net and 10 minutes sweeping the flowers in a nearby field supplied them with all the necessary food. It was delightful observing the micro tigers stalking their natural environment.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When you think about it, some attention needs to be given to how much time a person wants to spend tending the animal. At one end of the spectrum would be most cobweb weavers - feed once every couple of weeks and no further attention required. The other end of the world is the active hunters. They need more feeding and with several species just getting the food in the enclosure can turn into a three ring circus. So thought should be given as to how much time you want to spend pampering.

My idea of the ultimate ideal spider was a friend who enclosed three rose bushes with fine screen with a couple of doors. He installed a couple of crab spiders and a couple of green lynxes. A butterfly net and 10 minutes sweeping the flowers in a nearby field supplied them with all the necessary food. It was delightful observing the micro tigers stalking their natural environment.
The nice thing about most of these families is that they don't need a ton of care. I mist mine weekly and feed them either weekly or every other week, depending on their size. I do agree though, with my Barylestis scutatus it tends to be a battle of wills on who does/does not get out and gets food without the food consequently escaping. I have one who is the biggest pain and gets out every time I feed/water. Fortunately, it's only 1/2" right now, but as it gets larger it's going to be much more of a hassle to deal with the little monster.

That would be fascinating to observe! Those species really know how to hunt and it would be interesting to watch them go about their daily lives, especially once breakfast/lunch/dinner arrives. Was their any preference shown by the different families? I would imagine the crab spiders went more after pollinators due to their hunting style, but lynx spiders seem like the ultimate generalist.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Frankly, I think the best true spiders to start with are the species you can catch right where you live. That way you have no money out on them if they go belly-up, and you can always catch another. Don't start out by buying exotic huntsmen from Pango-Pango. The best way to start with true spiders is with a jar, wandering field and forest in your own region of the world.

Where you live you should be able to find plenty of Eratigena (Tegenaria) funnel-weavers, as well as a myriad of wolf spiders, both of which make excellent captives. For something a little more exotic, the Amaurobiids are fun as well.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Frankly, I think the best true spiders to start with are the species you can catch right where you live. That way you have no money out on them if they go belly-up, and you can always catch another. Don't start out by buying exotic huntsmen from Pango-Pango. The best way to start with true spiders is with a jar, wandering field and forest in your own region of the world.

Where you live you should be able to find plenty of Eratigena (Tegenaria) funnel-weavers, as well as a myriad of wolf spiders, both of which make excellent captives. For something a little more exotic, the Amaurobiids are fun as well.
That's very true. It also gives you a chance to check them out in their natural environment so you know how to set things up if you go the natural route. I caught a Dysdera crocata years ago before I really got into keeping invert pets and I kept it in a really spartan enclosure with nothing to hide under. Needless to say, it didn't do very well. I'd like to catch another this summer and if I do I'll give it substrate and things to hide under this time lol.

Eratigena make good captives. Very active and good eaters. I had an E. gigantea a couple years ago that made for an interesting captive. Something the OP may want to keep in mind is that E. agrestis (hobo spider) is considered by some to be medically significant, but there really isn't much science backing that up. They say that the venom is similar to Loxoceles and causes some necrosis, but again, science hasn't really been able to back that up.

Hanska

Arachnobaron

Very true. And even after keeping those huntsmen from Pango-Pango the natives a load of fun.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I personally like (Jumping spider ) Phiddipus regius. they are sooo adorable and not so fast. :)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord

I would but a week ago almost all the snow was gone, now we have about 3" everywhere. I'm also not the most patient about getting animals (inverts that is).

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I personally like (Jumping spider ) Phiddipus regius. they are sooo adorable and not so fast. :)
I had a P. Johnsoni for a while. She is the only spider I've owned that has bitten me, but that's because this thing was spawn from hell. Threat displays regualrly and you could sometimes see the orangey-yellow venom beading up on her fang tips. She would go out of her way to try and bite me, even playing dead so that I would move closer and prod her with a stick to see if she's still alive. Then she'd flip back over, jump at me, and dig her fangs in to my pant legs. This happened multiple times too, and she managed to really chew on my finger once, probably dumping all her venom in to me right then. That's when I realized that I was never going to break this horse and it was best to let it go so I don't have to deal with it. She was big too, about 3/4 an inch body length. Spunky little character, but goes to show that not every spider is the same, and some spiders don't fit the regular "type" expected of the species.

louise f

Arachnoangel
I had a P. Johnsoni for a while. She is the only spider I've owned that has bitten me, but that's because this thing was spawn from hell. Threat displays regualrly and you could sometimes see the orangey-yellow venom beading up on her fang tips. She would go out of her way to try and bite me, even playing dead so that I would move closer and prod her with a stick to see if she's still alive. Then she'd flip back over, jump at me, and dig her fangs in to my pant legs. This happened multiple times too, and she managed to really chew on my finger once, probably dumping all her venom in to me right then. That's when I realized that I was never going to break this horse and it was best to let it go so I don't have to deal with it. She was big too, about 3/4 an inch body length. Spunky little character, but goes to show that not every spider is the same, and some spiders don't fit the regular "type" expected of the species.
Ohh holy cow. i never seen jumping spiders act like that. Not even Hyllus giganteus. It must have been the devil in disguise you got there :) yes some spiders don't fit the regular as they "should" be. Just like tarantulas.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My old P. mystaceus would also show attitude fairly quickly if she didn't like what was going on. Not as bad as your P. johnsoni though. That's just intense!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ohh holy cow. i never seen jumping spiders act like that. Not even Hyllus giganteus. It must have been the devil in disguise you got there :) yes some spiders don't fit the regular as they "should" be. Just like tarantulas.
I don't know what it was about me that made her so enraged. I also have an A. Hentzi that my friends joke around about me having to touch it with a three foot pole. Pop off the top of his enclosure and he's *immediately* in a threat display, slapping and biting everything around him. I am genuinely afraid to rehouse him; I'd rather try and rehouse my C. Fimbriatus. I don't know what crawled up his cloaca but it certainly isn't pretty.
____EDIT___
Just went and got a picture of him. All I did was open the container.

and to think I got this species because I heard they were "docile and easily manipulated."

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
I don't know what it was about me that made her so enraged. I also have an A. Hentzi that my friends joke around about me having to touch it with a three foot pole. Pop off the top of his enclosure and he's *immediately* in a threat display, slapping and biting everything around him. I am genuinely afraid to rehouse him; I'd rather try and rehouse my C. Fimbriatus. I don't know what crawled up his cloaca but it certainly isn't pretty.
____EDIT___
Just went and got a picture of him. All I did was open the container.

and to think I got this species because I heard they were "docile and easily manipulated."
I have a G.rosea like that. talk about docile species. haha :)