Mysterious lump

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
About a month ago I was checking up on my E. Campestratus and her abdomen seemed lopped sided. I looked at her and noticed a little crack or tiny opening above her spinneretes on the side where the lump was or where it was lopped sided. I was concerned but I just left her alone to see if it would go away by itself. Today I wanted to take a look at her and it's still the same. I've been reading posts about cysts, cancers, and strange larvae in T.'s (gosh those pics were horrible) and I'm really concerned about her...I just want to know if it's normal, or if her abdomen is on its way to rupturing or anything else terrible as that and I would also be so thankful for any additional advice for her. Thank you.
Here's some pics of her
uploadfromtaptalk1427159939591.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1427159956227.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1427159970686.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1427159984512.jpg

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
yaaa.... I know that a "strange" lump is almost always a ominous warning. Unfortunately, it is likely a parasite. (nasty) was it WC?
Also, I have heard rumors that Ts being over fed that they actually ruptured. So it does kinda appear obese. Try reducing its diet.
If it is a parasite, you really cannot do anything.
Best of luck

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Any chance it fell from the glass or lid and hit something hard in its enclosure?

Looks like its about to molt so hopefully it clears up..

horanjp

Arachnosquire
+1...looks like an acute case of the premolt
But to be honest with you, I don't see it. Could you take some better pictures that would better show this lop-sided-ness or crack/lump?

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
Cherrypeep. Listen buddy. We cant help you if you dont give us some more info. Horanjp is right, we need better pictures. And, is it Wild caught or captive bred??? HUGE diffirence.
Also, might be just premolt.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
To me it looks like its in heavy premolt or possibly gravid? Someone with more experience might weigh in. As for the scratched looking spot, it looks more like a spot she was kicking some hairs leaving a bald line. I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
yaaa.... I know that a "strange" lump is almost always a ominous warning. Unfortunately, it is likely a parasite. (nasty) was it WC?
Also, I have heard rumors that Ts being over fed that they actually ruptured. So it does kinda appear obese. Try reducing its diet.
If it is a parasite, you really cannot do anything.
Best of luck
im really sad if it is a parasite :( i have no idea if shes wc or not ill have to talk to the dealer i bought her from because i know he does sell wc T.s.
She does really like to eat (shes a big mama) i feed all of my T.s once a week if that affects anything. And ill try reducing the food from now on. thank you!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Cherrypeep. Listen buddy. We cant help you if you dont give us some more info. Horanjp is right, we need better pictures. And, is it Wild caught or captive bred??? HUGE diffirence.
Also, might be just premolt.
Take it down a notch there killer! Lol!

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
Any chance it fell from the glass or lid and hit something hard in its enclosure?

I dont think so. Her critter keeper is very low and she keeps to herself in her hide. Shes not really into climbing around thankfully.
Hopefully she'll molt and i can be relieved that its not a parasite!

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 11:08 PM ----------

true. could be a rupture. The useful question would be is it WC or CB???
I wish i knew!! Ugh i know im stupid for not asking but she was one of my older T.'s and i never really thought of asking when i bought her.
I don't know which is worse a rupture or a parasite

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 11:09 PM ----------

ill be more than happy too.. and i hope its premolt

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 11:10 PM ----------

Sorry i dont know if its wc or cb ill try to find out as soon as possible tho

---------- Post added 03-23-2015 at 11:14 PM ----------

She cant be gravid i've never bred any of my T.s (do T.s have random infertile egg sacks?) And she did kick some hairs at me while i was trying to take some pics of her.
Thank you i hope so i really do hope so.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I don't know am I seeing things I feel like there's a little lump or am I just paranoid...t swear it just looks way abnormal than her rump looked like before

Last edited:

King Sparta

Arachnosquire
a rupture will be a lot better than a parasite.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 09:03 AM ----------

is like liquid flowing out of it???

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Per that thread, and other reports I've read, before the larva emerges the spider starts compulsively silking the area, laying down a mat and sometimes walls for the larva to attach to and pupate on. It's one of those cool, if creepy, cases where the parasitic animal "mind controls" the host.