3 day shipping

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm conversing with Paul@petcenter (or at least a representative) regarding shipping.

I'm being strongly urged to upgrade to overnight and reminded that 3 days is a long time.

I've never had a shipment take more than 2. Even from California to Rhode Island. And I've never had a dead or injured T.

Pet center has a great reputation.

How's shipping been for everybody using them?

Is it really going to be 3 days?

I told him not to upgrade... But now I'm all paranoid lol.

I don't feel like making a $56 order into an $80 order.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I dunno, I agree with them... 3 days IS a long time. And maybe you haven't had it take that long before, but you never know. Your $50 order could turn into a $120 order if you have to rebuy and get overnight next time...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
This is a volatile time of year weather-wise where you are.

Why are you making an $80 order? Save up and make it worthwhile. I don't understand why people place small orders. Consider being out all $80 if they arrive DOA...can you afford that? A '3 day ship time' could end up taking 4 or 5 days, it happens.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I ship all my stuff out with 2 day, but I offer LAG with my 2 day shipping, most vendors don't. Weather is really good for shipping right now, so it will likely be OK, but if you want a guarantee you better pay the extra $24

Ashton

Arachnoknight
They made me do that with my order in January and my over night ended up being 2 day anyway. I feel its a waste of money, not just in my case but most cases.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
They made me do that with my order in January and my over night ended up being 2 day anyway. I feel its a waste of money, not just in my case but most cases.
Do they not have a 2day shipping option? 3 day could easily become 4 or 5 and that easily could result in DOA. In my opinion, that chances of your Ts dying in transit from Paul is unlikely though. Do what you will but keep in mind the shipping upgrade isn't that expensive...

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Do they not have a 2day shipping option? 3 day could easily become 4 or 5 and that easily could result in DOA. In my opinion, that chances of your Ts dying in transit from Paul is unlikely though. Do what you will but keep in mind the shipping upgrade isn't that expensive...
It really was when it meant taking 2 Ts off my order. Plus the insides of the box were cold anyway and the ts were all sluggish, minus the Haplopelma who came out biting and slapping.

RagingBambi

Arachnopeon
2-3 day shipping i believe. Back when i placed an order in February i had went with the overnight shipping. Didn't care for the extra money it had required. Just wanted to make sure they got here safe even if it was just from California to Oregon. They were shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday morning, with no issues.

gobey

Arachnoknight
The weather is warming up here this week. Upper 50s.

No more snow etc.

Fed ex indeed has predicted 3 days

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 02:03 PM ----------

This is a volatile time of year weather-wise where you are.

Why are you making an $80 order? Save up and make it worthwhile. I don't understand why people place small orders. Consider being out all $80 if they arrive DOA...can you afford that? A '3 day ship time' could end up taking 4 or 5 days, it happens.
He had 2 on sale I wanted.

I don't want a bunch.

I'm just not that keeper.

I'm trying to maintain around 10 tarantulas at the moment.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 02:06 PM ----------

He uses fedex priority or overnight. Usps is usually 2 day. I guess fedex is 3?

scott99

Arachnoknight
Look, its ok to use 2-3 day shipping as long as its cover under LAG.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
You shouldn't try buying spiders if you can't afford overnight. IMO
Most people will only LAG on an overnight, and why risk it? Your money. I'm not a gambling man myself. I'd be really mad if I had to make an order twice because I was too arrogant to think a DOA couldn't happen to me. You're putting so much trust into the person shipping the package. Without LAG you also lose the right to complain. You do, however, gain the right to possibly pay double for an order to get the same amt of 'goods.'

25 bucks for peace of mind and the knowledge that your $80 order will not turn into a $160 order. Lord forbid they arrive dead a second time and you didn't get LAG. You'd quit the hobby. hahaha

Edit- He's probably asking you to upgrade because he'd rather have a satisfied customer than a customer service issue to resolve. Sounds like a good idea!

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Personally id say upgrade that T may be on sale with them but you can always find similar priced Ts. Especially in clasifieds.. Iv always gone overnight oct-april as those are crutical times.. Sure weather may he nice where YOU LIVE but it may have to go thru an area a little colder.. It was 32deg here this morning.. And 38 now... If you go 3 day and loose the Ts youl be out the money. As they advised you to overnight it.. If you cant aford to ensure the safty of your Ts then i woudlnt do it... Rule of thumb for myself.. When wanting an animal you should always have more i usually keep more money then its worth incase anything pops up, i myself always keep $100 on reserv typically..just incase..rather it be a T that just went onsale you want to add to the order or a T comes in too small/large and you need a dif enclosure..

I recently got a "big ticket T" i wasnt planning on.. I was looking for 4or 5 gbbs and low and behold i found a T. Sp panama.. For 300..but only had about 350 pushed back. And he had others i wanted.. Did i insist on snailmail so i can get more Ts in a order? for heavens sake no! I made my order short and sweet and got what i wanted.. (Granted you dont find this species alot) 75% of what a big name carrier has is found everywhere elese thru classified sellers and sometimes(usually) cheaper... Ill get those others i wanted soon enough id rather "make my order more then id like to spend" then risk loosing all the money as you typically hafta pay for a doa reshipment anywho!

As for shipping taking too long @ashton not all places are guarenteed overnight, iv had shipment from Hawaii and they got here in 18hrs..id assume your out in the boonies (or well country i should say) or where a fedex is not close.. This is why yours took longer, and tho the heat pack didnt activate correctly (which i hope you advised them about) if youd of opted to get those other Ts and gone with the snail mail.. Youd of been out more then 2 Ts id assume..

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Personally id say upgrade that T may be on sale with them but you can always find similar priced Ts. Especially in clasifieds.. Iv always gone overnight oct-april as those are crutical times.. Sure weather may he nice where YOU LIVE but it may have to go thru an area a little colder.. It was 32deg here this morning.. And 38 now... If you go 3 day and loose the Ts youl be out the money. As they advised you to overnight it.. If you cant aford to ensure the safty of your Ts then i woudlnt do it... Rule of thumb for myself.. When wanting an animal you should always have more i usually keep $100 thhen its worth incase anything pops up, if your rather it be a T that just went onsale you want to add to the order or a T comes in too small/large and you need a dif enclosure..

I recently got a "big ticket T" i wasnt planning on.. I was lioking for 4r or 5 gbbs and low and behold i found a T. Sp panama.. For 300..but only had about 350 pushed back. And he had others i wanted.. Did i insist on snailmail, for heavens sake no! I made my order short and sweet and got what i wanted.. (Granted you dont find this species alot) 75% of what a big name carrier has is found everywhere elese thru classified sellers and sometimes(usually) cheaper... Ill get those other 3 i wanted soon enough id rather "make my order more then id like to spend" then risk loosing all the money as you typically hafta pay for a doa reshipment anywho!

As for shipping taking too long @ashton not all places are guarenteed overnight, iv had shipment from Hawaii and they got here in 18hrs..id assume your out in the boonies (or well country i should say) or where a fedex is not close.. This is why yours took longer, and tho the heat pack didnt activate correctly (which i hope you advised them about) if youd of opted to get those other Ts and gone with the snail mail.. Youd of been out more then 2 Ts id assume..
I've scoured the classifieds.

Paul had juvie Ceratogyrus. 2.5". Darlingi and Marshalli. In fact I took his last Marshalli.

I didn't want to just buy 2 small slings again.

I have the money. I just wanted to use that $23 for gas.

I've only ever used 2 day shipping like I said. But I've also had everybody LAG them. So you've all got a point.

I have had one T 2 dayed no LAG but it had a heat pack and was fine.

I emailed him. I hope it's not too late. Fedex still just says preparing shipment.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 02:31 PM ----------

On that note, I will let you know that Paul knows what he's doing. I've done a good amount of business with him
Oh I figured that much had to be the case. He's got a hell of a reputation.

I'd feel better even if it was 2 days though. Not 3.

2 seems a magic number.

I want to trust transit but I'm all paranoid now. Especially after this thread :p

skippydude

Arachnobaron
I would like to mention that I have had DOAs on overnight shipping orders, so it would probably be best to choose the method with LAG.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor

It's not that simple. It depends how far the package has to travel (in this case, across the country), and what's going with the weather between point A and point B. The greater the distance and the longer the time, the more likely something will go wrong. If the OP can't afford to pay overnight with a LAG, he can't afford to throw away $100 (spiders plus 3 day shipping).

OP: If you only have a few spiders and 'don't want a bunch', then wait for another deal to come along. As you said, you 'don't need more T's', so don't be reckless with this situation. No hurry to get this one.

Last edited: