Avicularia sp. Kwitara

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
image.jpg Ok, I have a few questions, I hope someone can help. Everyone remembers the Avicularia I got from a lps that was helping it in horrible conditions. I thought it might be Avic avic but it molted and its colors seemed a bit odd, I posted them in the identification forum and it turns out I actually have an Avicularia sp. Kwitara.

I've been trying to find more information about them but seem to be having a hard time actually getting a hold of any info. Are they rare in the hobby? Am I going to have a hard time finding a mate for it when it matures? I've found that it is one of the largest Avic species reaching 6-6 1/2 inches DLS. The one I have is considerably smaller than that and is clearly a juvenile so I have some time to worry about it. Truthfully I'm hoping its a male so I can ship him out on a loan at maturity lol.

Here's the bigger problem though, my little spidey seems to be having some problems. It seems to have a hard time hanging onto the glass. It seems ok when in its plant, and I need to get it a cork bark hide, I'm currently using a toilet paper roll for its hide. It hasn't webbed hardly at all though in over a month, although I know sometimes Avics take a while to settle in and start webbing. I'm concerned with its seeming inability to hang out on the glass which it likes to do, but it keeps losing its grip and falling o.o
I don't think its DKS since it's not spasming or anything like that, just seems like a clumsy climber, which strikes me as odd for an arboreal species. Should I be concerned?

Yes, I know, I'm showing my noobiness here, I appologise lol.

Here are the pics of my little Avic. There's a ventral pic too, if anyone can tell me if it's girl or boy? I think male but I suck at it. I would have sized it from its molt but it shredded that.

Please ignore the Avicularia avicularia(?) label on the pics lol. Now that I know it's sp. Kwitara I need to change that.

image.jpg image.jpg

awiec

Arachnoprince
If it can't hang onto the glass it's probably going to molt soon, my aboreals have the same issue when they are in pre-molt. I know these ( if it is what you say it is) are found in the same area as a spider considered to be the green form of A.metallica and there was a limited sale of slings in the US about a year ago so there are people who have them here, you might just have to wait a few more years for mature specimens to be around.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
If it can't hang onto the glass it's probably going to molt soon, my aboreals have the same issue when they are in pre-molt. I know these ( if it is what you say it is) are found in the same area as a spider considered to be the green form of A.metallica and there was a limited sale of slings in the US about a year ago so there are people who have them here, you might just have to wait a few more years for mature specimens to be around.
It molted less than a month ago, it hasn't even eaten since then, it's fangs are black though so it's hardened up. Good to know there's others with juveniles. I'm happy about that. I'm not in any rush either since I don't think mines anywhere near adult yet either. :)

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 10:56 AM ----------

Looks like I lucked out with this one and got a rarer species then the normal Avic avics usually found at the lps lol

awiec

Arachnoprince
It molted less than a month ago, it hasn't even eaten since then, it's fangs are black though so it's hardened up. Good to know there's others with juveniles. I'm happy about that. I'm not in any rush either since I don't think mines anywhere near adult yet either. :)

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 10:56 AM ----------

Looks like I lucked out with this one and got a rarer species then the normal Avic avics usually found at the lps lol
Thats what I get for not reading all the way, it might just be stressed, the sooner you can give it a more suitable hide the better off it will be.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avicularia avicularia max out around five inches, blue, pink toes, and red on the abdomen.

Avicularia metallica max out around 6.5 Inches, blue or green form, white toes, snow caped hairs, no red on the abdomen.

Avicularia sp. Kwitara max out around 6.5 inches, bright green, pink toes, red on abdomen, and has some silver hairs.

I have an abundance of Avicularia sp. Kwitara, but this is a rare species. Hobbyists have a tendency to mix the four Avicularia sp. up a lot.

I would really take out the paper towel rolls out. Sounds like your kwitara is having issues, don't forget they're wild caught. Just being WC makes your specimen numerous to many issues. Just wake sure she stays hydrated.

Attachments

Last edited:

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also paid $45 for my CB Avicularia sp. Kwitara slings. Metallica, metallica green, and kwitara live really close to each other and there hasn't been enough DNA testing to see if they're related. (I'm assuming it could be due to different locality)

Amazing photo's

Avicularia avicularia link https://cdn3.volusion.com/dfpuu.bczkw/v/vspfiles/photos/381-2.jpg?1396288191

Avicularia sp. Kwitara link http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/wraithspirit/spider pics/DSCF0102-2.jpg

Avicularia sp. Metallica green link http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Avicularia_Metallica.jpg

Avicularia sp. Metallica link http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users...--large-msg-119630901233.jpg?post_id=30425821

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Thank you fuzzy, I have an extra half log I can stand up in the back, I just didn't think it would be tall enough to get the height it will need. Maybe I can hang it half way up the background panel? Or would just standing it up on the bottom suffice? Probably would be better than the toilet paper tube.

---------- Post added 03-24-2015 at 02:02 PM ----------

Whats the size of your Avic?
I haven't really measured but less than three inches, more than 2. Maybe 2.25" if I had to guess.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Time and time again we warn owners on the risk of identifying Avics via a photo (except for only a couple species, minaxtrix being one of them), this statement applies to your T as well. In short, we don't rely on it when we have an unidentified T, esp an Avic, such as yours.

You may have sp Kwitara River, you may not. The same T can look COMPLETELY different under identical lighting w/the same camera. I should know, I've seen this with my own metallica. I cannot emphasize that enough. People who identify your T as sp Kwitara River, are giving you educated guesses at best.

They are not common at all in the USA, more common in the EU. I would go to the Euro T forums and post there as well for info. I saw one woman who posted her female, reached 8", impressive and possibly exceptional.

They look very much like a metallica that is green.

I have sp Kwitara, from one of the 2 unrelated bloodlines that was exported by Lee in Europe not long ago. I've found them to a bit slower growing than I had expected, but it could be due to mine being a possible female (in comparison to my other Avics)

As adults to my knowledge, they do have the white tipped setae, like fiber optics, that metallica have. At least this is what I observed in the EU T forum. That forum had quite a few non-adult photos as well.

You would be better off going there and posting your pic THERE, than here. A lot more owners and breeders there.

For now, I hope you don't intend upon breeding it and producing Frankenspider hybrids, until you can absolutely 100% guarantee its identity.

---------- Post added 03-25-2015 at 09:03 AM ----------

What are the identifying characteristics of this species? I have one that has the same colour on it but is around 4"-5".

Here's a link: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=37143&c=11

One picture is not enough to ID an Avic at all for too many reasons I care to type out this morning. It may be sp Kwitara River, it may be A. avic, it may be some other locality. I don't recall when the white tipped setae come in, but I'd be surprised if they aren't present now and that is truly a sp Kwitara River, primarily because A metallica's already have their white tipped setae by that size.

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
O
Time and time again we warn owners on the risk of identifying Avics via a photo (except for only a couple species, minaxtrix being one of them), this statement applies to your T as well. In short, we don't rely on it when we have an unidentified T, esp an Avic, such as yours.

You may have sp Kwitara River, you may not. The same T can look COMPLETELY different under identical lighting w/the same camera. I should know, I've seen this with my own metallica. I cannot emphasize that enough. People who identify your T as sp Kwitara River, are giving you educated guesses at best.

They are not common at all in the USA, more common in the EU. I would go to the Euro T forums and post there as well for info. I saw one woman who posted her female, reached 8", impressive and possibly exceptional.

They look very much like a metallica that is green.

I have sp Kwitara, from one of the 2 unrelated bloodlines that was exported by Lee in Europe not long ago. I've found them to a bit slower growing than I had expected, but it could be due to mine being a possible female (in comparison to my other Avics)

As adults to my knowledge, they do have the white tipped setae, like fiber optics, that metallica have. At least this is what I observed in the EU T forum. That forum had quite a few non-adult photos as well.

You would be better off going there and posting your pic THERE, than here. A lot more owners and breeders there.

For now, I hope you don't intend upon breeding it and producing Frankenspider hybrids, until you can absolutely 100% guarantee its identity.

---------- Post added 03-25-2015 at 09:03 AM ----------

One picture is not enough to ID an Avic at all for too many reasons I care to type out this morning. It may be sp Kwitara River, it may be A. avic, it may be some other locality. I don't recall when the white tipped setae come in, but I'd be surprised if they aren't present now and that is truly a sp Kwitara River, primarily because A metallica's already have their white tipped setae by that size.
I got the ID from fuzzyavics. I will not breed any avics from a petstore until I'm positive of course. I will follow up on the sites you suggest. Can you please provide a link? Thank you viper. :)

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know what I'm looking for Viper...I have a bunch of kwitara myself.

Last edited:

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Three died, but the rest is doing well. Surprised she even had a sac. She's really small for Laying a sac (At least for her species)

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
+1, but minaxtrix? Is that a new Haplopelma/Avicularia hybrid? ;) haha

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
+1, but minaxtrix? Is that a new Haplopelma/Avicularia hybrid? ;) haha
It's a FRANKENSPIDER that some unscrupulous person created and spread into the hobby ;)

---------- Post added 03-26-2015 at 08:13 AM ----------

O

I got the ID from fuzzyavics. I will not breed any avics from a petstore until I'm positive of course. I will follow up on the sites you suggest. Can you please provide a link? Thank you viper. :)
I don't know it, I found it by google tarantula and sp Kwitara River. It's an English language forum. I believe based in the UK.

If I find it I'll let know so you can get a better idea of what your mystery Avic is.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
We are still photo IDing species within the Avicularia avicularia complex?

What morphological keys did you guys use to ID this spider as Avicularia sp. 'Kwitara River'?

The picture linked also just says sp. 'Guyana.' Which is probably more accurate than trying to throw a more specific name or location on it without certainty from the exporter/collector.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
'

What morphological keys did you guys use to ID this spider as Avicularia sp. 'Kwitara River'?

The picture linked also just says sp. 'Guyana.' Which is probably more accurate than trying to throw a more specific name or location on it without certainty from the exporter/collector.
I've been trying to delete those three pics and have clicked ok to delete them and received the message they've been deleted at least a dozen time if you're referring to my three pictures labeled Avicularia avicularia (?) at least a dozen times but they stay stubbornly there lol.

As far as the ID of the spider, I got the ID from fuzzyavics. I'd like to send its next molt to someone who can better identify it. Do you know someone like that I could send it to? I don't really have any info on the importer or source though since this particular specimen was a pet store rescue. (Hangs head) lol. I'm a sucker for rescues and refuse to step foot in that store again because they almost ALWAYS have a G. rosea/porteri and T least one Avicularia in stock. Always kept in abhorrent conditions. I can't save them all and since I'm a sucker for the underdog... well, you get the idea.

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
I believe avic. Is one of the most hybridized species of all. IMO Looks a avic to me. At most a Metallica. Throw some bark and hang some leaves it will have a field day. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

8 legs and 2 body segments, cmon Advan, that's all they used, and that's all it takes!