First Scorp

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Hi I'm looking for a good first scorp. I don't think I will have trouble keeping any scorpions, but I really don't know what species would be more fun/interesting to watch and care for.

Thanks,

~Zach

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It really depends on what you are looking for in a scorp. Do you prefer something from a desert, forest, or rainforest? How much time do you want to spend caring for it? Size? What about venom level? Centruroides gracilis and C. vitatta are good starter bark scorps, but they have more potent venoms than an emperor or Asian forest scorp, which are considered to be some of the best starter species (though they are some of the larger scorps you can get).

Good desert species (from largest to smallest) are: flat rock scorps (Hadogenes sp.), hairy desert scorps (Hadrurus arizonensis), and really anything from Vaejovis and Smeringurus.

Bark scorpions stay fairly small and are typically easy to care for, but they can have higher venom levels. They're also usually cheap to obtain. The Centruroides I mentioned above are easy to find in the US hobby, and Rhopalurus junceus and R. garridoi are becoming much more common as well. I've kept all four species and I've really enjoyed them :) Some Tityus species are considered easy to keep, but they have pretty nasty venom, so it's not a bark scorpion for a beginner.

To summarize activity, emps and Asian forest scorps aren't particularly active until after dark. I used to have one, but traded it for some bark scorps instead. I used to have Vaejovis and that was a fairly active genus. My barks have probably been the most active scorps I've owned, so that makes them pretty interesting. You can keep them in small containers individually and it's really easy to get communal enclosures going with many species (gromgrom has a ridiculous "hive" of Tityus right now that's super cool to look at).

There are plenty of other species that I can't even begin to list here, but I'm sure some of the scorp experts will weigh in (I'm not even close to an expert on these guys). Try doing a search here AB and I'm sure plenty of nice threads will come up for you.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
It really depends on what you are looking for in a scorp. Do you prefer something from a desert, forest, or rainforest? How much time do you want to spend caring for it? Size? What about venom level? Centruroides gracilis and C. vitatta are good starter bark scorps, but they have more potent venoms than an emperor or Asian forest scorp, which are considered to be some of the best starter species (though they are some of the larger scorps you can get).

Good desert species (from largest to smallest) are: flat rock scorps (Hadogenes sp.), hairy desert scorps (Hadrurus arizonensis), and really anything from Vaejovis and Smeringurus.

Bark scorpions stay fairly small and are typically easy to care for, but they can have higher venom levels. They're also usually cheap to obtain. The Centruroides I mentioned above are easy to find in the US hobby, and Rhopalurus junceus and R. garridoi are becoming much more common as well. I've kept all four species and I've really enjoyed them :) Some Tityus species are considered easy to keep, but they have pretty nasty venom, so it's not a bark scorpion for a beginner.

To summarize activity, emps and Asian forest scorps aren't particularly active until after dark. I used to have one, but traded it for some bark scorps instead. I used to have Vaejovis and that was a fairly active genus. My barks have probably been the most active scorps I've owned, so that makes them pretty interesting. You can keep them in small containers individually and it's really easy to get communal enclosures going with many species (gromgrom has a ridiculous "hive" of Tityus right now that's super cool to look at).

There are plenty of other species that I can't even begin to list here, but I'm sure some of the scorp experts will weigh in (I'm not even close to an expert on these guys). Try doing a search here AB and I'm sure plenty of nice threads will come up for you.
Thanks that's really helpful. I'm not worried about the venom. I might take a look into bark scorpions I'll take a look around though. Thanks a bunch.

TheHonestPirate

Arachnoknight
I have two Hadrurus Arizonensis and i find them very peculiar. They are on the same sbstrate. One is feisty and the other rarely moves but when it does it ends up in weird positions around the tank. Truely different personalities.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Clay + sand works the best to replicate their natural environment, but just sand with several things for them to hide under to get away from the light should be fine.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Clay + sand works the best to replicate their natural environment, but just sand with several things for them to hide under to get away from the light should be fine.
Okay thanks for the great advice guys. Much appreciated.